I just don't get it.

people walking around with meme shirts

juggalos

telletubbies

telletubbies in pogo sticks

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #33

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Mouth sounds I guess? Snoring, lip smacking, chewing, loud mouth breathing. Snoring is the worst for me though, it drives me bonkers.

Weasyl
    smarticus
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    It's not a nit-pick. It's incorrect grammar and you should feel bad for using it.
    "This word does not exist."

http://www.thisblogrules.com/wp-cont...anguageLrg.jpg
    Neither did %70 of the entire language a few hundred years ago. And our current grammar would be so monstrously wrong 200 years ago we wouldn't even be able to speak to them. A hundred years from now the language will, again, be entirely different; and everything in that link will probably be wrong. Alot is a portmanteau, and it's used enough to ennote it a spot, and certainly more than Bridezilla. Grammar and language are not set in stone, and in fact if they are, then that language is dead. Change in grammar and language are healthy and productive, and it happens so much we ascribe series of books to big enough to crush a man's skull to document it all. The exception is hieratic, demotic, and other types of lographs like Sumarian which changed so gradually it kinda seemed like they were dead. Oh that's another thing; we went through this exact same thing, the thing about "alot", with "kinda". And hafta. And even friggin "maybe", because it was an ellipses of "it may be". Language ascribes to the highest common denomination, not the lowest common editor, it always has been, it always will be, it's pretty much the definition of a language.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmore
    It is possible to imagine numerous potential scenarios by which language might have evolved as a purely biological adaptation. However, in her book The Meme Machine, Susan Blackmore reveals a different theory of language evolution: she proposes that it evolved for the sake of memes, not as an adaptation for the benefit of genes.
    Blackmore explains that memes first came into existence with the advent of true imitation in humans, which allowed memes to spread through populations. Recalling that fecundity, or proudction of new copies, is essential to a replicator, she proposes that language came into existence as a mechanism for improving the fecundity of memes. Sound transmission has many advantages for the purpose - sounds can be heard by multiple listeners and can be used even at night. After sound transmission (proto-language) came into existence, the "digitalization" of language into discrete words arose as a mechanism for ensuring meme fidelity, or lack of errors in the new copies. She explains that those alterations that produce the most copies of the highest fidelity will be those that predominate, thus improving the language.
    Blackmore goes on to suggest that grammar was an adaptation to improve the fecundity and fidelity of existing memes; its recursive structure then provided the framework for the development of more complex memes, which then favored the existence of more complex grammar, etc. in a self-sustaining process. Furthermore, language then began to exert pressure on the genes, creating a selection pressure toward bigger brains that are better at language. If people prefer to mate with those possessing the best or most memes, then the genes that allowed those people to be good meme-spreaders will be differentially transmitted into the next generation. This process again leads to a self-catalytic process of brain evolution that places a strong survival and reproductive advantage on those most capable of meme transmission.
    Finally, Blackmore believes that language is an unavoidable result of the existence of memes, which follow naturally from the ability to imitate (an ability that is, surprisingly, realized in very few species). She states, "verbal language is almost an inevitable result of memetic selection. First, sounds are a good candidate for high-fecundity transmission of behaviour. Second, words are an obvious way to digitise the the process and so increase its fidelity. Third, grammar is a next step for increasing fidelity and fecundity yet again, and all of these will aid memorability and hence longevity" (p.105).
    If you're wondering about meme it means memetics.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memetics

@The three people before this talking about eating and mouth noises
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia#Symptoms
    I have around stage 8 or 9 misophonia. Noises like that can make me yell and hit people.

Weasyl
    N/A
    It's not that it doesn't exist. It's an incorrect version of a word that already exists. It's like when someone says "Half too" instead of "have to". Just because something is now a word doesn't mean you can freely fuck up the english language. It's fucked as it is.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Noone axd u.

Play nice! It's not personal, it's just a peeve

Also, holy freaking great wall of text batman! (Another peeve )

Weasyl
    N/A
    I

hate

being

touched.

Unless it's someone who I'd happily let touch me (hurr) but they don't exist around me right now.

Weasyl
    Kanagrooboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Inq View Post
    Bored people.
    I just don't get it.
    Worse still people bored to the point of being depressed. Got a coworker who's like this, cannot stand to be around him.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I

hate

being

touched.

Unless it's someone who I'd happily let touch me (hurr) but they don't exist around me right now.
    goobles can i touch your face