Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx

StumbleUpon: The arts!

I made a thread almost a week ago showcasing the art of Chris Maynard. Link here of his work for those curious and Onnes had an interesting suggestion that stemmed from this subject about making a thread dedicated to sharing links with an artistic or craft-centric theme.

No, this thread wouldn't be for self-promotion (there are other topics for that I'm sure). I'm talking about artist blogs and galleries you may uncover whilst going about the internet that you feel like sharing with the rest of us, a sort of inspirational collection of art and artists. If you want to share a specific image that is fine, just try to also provide a link to their website, blog, Facebook, etc. that way if we want to know more we can! I'm excited to see what other kinds of arts, crafts and other artists might be featured in this thread.

I'll start us off with a link to the gallery of an amazing photorealistic oil painter named Johannes Wessmark. Phenomenal work that's definitely worth a look at!

Weasyl
    Onnes
    As both a photo person and reptile enthusiast I've been seeing this upcoming photo book pretty much everywhere. Serpentine by Mark Laita. Laita is absolutely minimalist, and this collection consists entirely of brightly colored snakes on a pure black background.

Recenty ending up checking out the blog of Mattias Adolfson, discovering an artist who comes up with charismatic machinery among many other things.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Oddly enough, my father is actually a woodturner. One of his former students/colleagues actually became relatively renowned and now teaches woodworking in Japan. Brian Newell crafts unique pieces of wooden furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Inq View Post
    Recenty ending up checking out the blog of Mattias Adolfson, discovering an artist who comes up with charismatic machinery among many other things.
    There's something about the whimsical nature of his sketches that's just enthralling.

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    Oh, looks like I got a bit of catching up to do! I'll start off by saying that I was stunned by those beautiful images of all of those snakes. They're some of my favorite animals and the unique way he captures them in his photos is not only a feast of colors but form as well. Also, those inks Adolfson does made me smile; I loved them.

Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    Oddly enough, my father is actually a woodturner. One of his former students/colleagues actually became relatively renowned and now teaches woodworking in Japan. Brian Newell crafts unique pieces of wooden furniture.
    That work is just...I don't even have words. I've always had a special affinity for woodcrafts and handmade furniture for one, but those pieces take the cake. Some of the more unusual designs almost remind me of some pieces done during the Art Noveau and Art Deco movements.

Since I'm an avid tabletop gamer as well as an artist, these works here are right up my alley (and many others around here, I'm sure). They're unique gaming dice made by Chuck Stover (you can even order them in singles or sets on his site!). I'm actually saving up some to get a set of those botanical ones eventually...
    Last edited by Sparkyopteryx; 03-08-2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Plural, not singular. Neither singularity!

Weasyl
    Onnes
    I should share one of my favorite photographers, Thomas Shahan. I won't spoil what his subject matter is.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLadyMonster View Post
    Since I'm an avid tabletop gamer as well as an artist, these works here are right up my alley (and many others around here, I'm sure). They're unique gaming dice made by Chuck Stover (you can even order them in singles or sets on his site!). I'm actually saving up some to get a set of those botanical ones eventually...
    I always wonder how statistically uniform highly ornate dice end up being. I know some tabletop gamers won't even use computer PRNGs because they believe they aren't random enough (which is absolutely delusional, but that's another matter entirely.)

Weasyl
    Onnes
    And for some more wood based art: Kerry Hudson. I knew him growing up in Florida, although it looks like he's moved to North Carolina. He's produced a lot more than is featured on his website, including some interesting political pieces concerning the Iraq War.

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    I should share one of my favorite photographers, Thomas Shahan. I won't spoil what his subject matter is.

I always wonder how statistically uniform highly ornate dice end up being. I know some tabletop gamers won't even use computer PRNGs because they believe they aren't random enough (which is absolutely delusional, but that's another matter entirely.)
    Hah, it's a good thing I actually adore little eight (and six)-legged creatures; there are some lovely shots in that gallery. Awesome wood sculptures (and more furniture!) too, by the way.

Even if the results really are a tad skewed, I probably wouldn't care! I know a lot of gamers that dislike PRNGs purely because of some kind of superstition...

I'm going to link a page to some really neat watercolor portraits done by Cate Parr.

Here's the blog of Andreas Deja, a master Disney animator. Characters he's animated include King Triton, Gaston, Scar, Hercules, and Lilo. If you're an animation fan you really find out about the styles and processes of the great animation masters: http://andreasdeja.blogspot.com/

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLadyMonster View Post
    I'm going to link a page to some really neat watercolor portraits done by Cate Parr.
    Watercolors are probably my favorite traditional painting medium. The thin lines on those are interesting.
    Just a note, though: I think that website may be compromised. There are links and oddly inserted text relating to prescription drug retailers.

Here's another semi-photographer I'm familiar with: Jerry Uelsmann. The thing you need to know about Uelsmann is that he predates Photoshop and his work is all done in the darkroom. He's Florida based and my father actually traded for some his of prints once.