Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Roommate Horror Stories

I'm going to refer to my first roommate as "The Entitled" roommate.

She was someone I had known, mostly from a distance, on and off through out high school. We lived in the same neighborhood, would occasionally hang out, but I wouldn't call us friends. We both got into the same program, at the same university, and had about the same budget for dorms [which we were required as freshmen to live in] so it just seemed logical to room together. I went in figuring, "Hey, she's not your best friend so I doubt it'll ruin the non-friendship anyway. However, you both know each other so if problems or issues do arise, it should be less awkward dealing with her than with a total stranger."
    Now, I only had a few [reasonable in my opinion] rules, which I presented to her before we signed and paid for anything. I asked that she not touch/take my things without asking. I asked that she supply the mini fridge while I supplied the small vacuum, large trashcan w/ bags, floor rug, osculating tower fan, and microwave. Finally, I asked that she NOT cheat on her boyfriend while living with me.
    That final rule I stressed to her, again and again, because I did not want to deal with any of the potential fall out if she got caught. My fears were that either he'd find out and try and confront her in a rage, or that anyone she got involved with would start something. Regardless, I shared a living space with her, and didn't particularly want /that/ flavor of drama in my life.

Okay, so, this is where her title "Entitled" comes from. [Well, it stretches back a bit before rooming with her I suppose. She had been dating her boyfriend, who was going through military so couldn't be around a lot, for three years. The first time she cheated on him was three months into the relationship, and she had been periodically sleeping around since. I'm not her close friend, and I'm not his friend, so it wasn't my place to say anything about her actions prior to moving in with her - I believe sharing such a small living space sort of makes what she's doing in bed my business since it can directly affect me at that point.]
    She was good for maybe a month, then things started going down hill. Small items of mine, a stapler, pencils, paintbrushes, [We were both in school for art] started to go missing. Things I assumed I might have misplaced myself at the time, but now know she had actually been nicking when I wasn't around. Then she started "borrowing" my clothing, jeans and T-shirts, without asking and later throwing them into my laundry basket. I confronted her, she stopped for a bit, then started up again.
    Then the boys started to appear. I do not think she was aware of how painfully obvious her slutting around was, and I gave her several opportunities to admit, apologize, and move on. Hell, I even told her I didn't care so much that she was cheating, I cared more about the fact she was having troupes of sleezy guys ferrying in and out of the place where I eat, sleep, and store my things. She ignored me, again, and continued to invite them over while I wasn't around, saying that she was only friends with them. [Right, which is why every time I walked in unexpectedly, the two of them would bolt away from one another and pretend to be interested in whatever was in front of them. Right. Sure.]
    Now, of this I'm not sure, but shortly after this steady stream of strangers started cycling through my room, more valuable items started disappearing. Money left out, even change, disappeared on me more than once. My drawers and dressers started having their contents obviously sorted through. A movie and a necklace disappeared. I was living in a crappy dorm room that had enough space for a single person, walking a straight line, to walk in to the window, do an about face, and walk back out. The large bunked beds, double closet, two desks, and two dressers provided by the school took up nearly all space. Things didn't always have a safe corner for me to tuck them in, and increasingly, anything left out was taken.

I talked to her about this, nonstop, and continued trying to get the RA to do something about it. This girl, or the boys she was bring in, was taking my food, my clothing, my money - All without asking, because she felt fucking entitled. I brought my own printer, told her not to mess with it when I wasn't around because it's a printer and it has an attitude. It's also not cheap to replace ink cartridges, so I didn't want her printing out course workbooks or tons of color images. I was explicit in my instructions, and I still walked in on her, with her laptop at my desk [another No-No I talked to her about] downloading the drivers to my printer so that she could print when I wasn't around, and because she had a friend who needed to print something for class.

I was losing it, she felt like she had the right to anyone's anything! And it didn't help that all these guys she was toting around [sometimes two and three at a time without them being aware of one another] were throwing gifts at her to try and get in her pants. It was sickening. Things sort of came to a head when I actually caught her in the physical act of cheating, and was then promptly screamed out of the room, and locked out. I've walked in on people doing all that before, and the first response I have is to get the hell out of the room. However, I am PAYING to live in that room. The door wasn't even locked. It was 7PM on a fucking Thursday. She had no right to lock me out of my home, where I was trying to go to get dinner, study, and sleep when I interrupted her.
    Common courtesy would lead a normal person in that situation to make themselves decent, open the door, apologize, whatever. However, she seemed to think locking the door and chaining it [which my room key can't undo, it has to be undone from the inside], then going back to what she had been doing, was the proper response.

The RA ended up having to get her to open the door, and thank god it was near the end of the year because I was ready to seriously chuck everything that girl owned out the window. Well, after grabbing back whatever belongings were MINE first.

Weasyl
    Aakosir
    I guess I can consider my brother and his wife roommates. We all lived in my mom's house for too long! And we were beginning to clash.

My brother's wife was a total slob. She had two dogs, one of which she did not ask permission to get, she just randomly showed up with a dog and he is a rotten little shit! She never wiped their feet so we had gross wet prints all over the floors and dog hair everywhere. The one dog was not house trained and ruined my mom's carpet. My brother offered to pay to have it cleaned and his wife told him not to. The dogs also spent all day in their crates because they were always working. They had their own personal living room, a spare bedroom and their own bathroom all to themselves, yet they never paid rent and barely ever did chores. She wouldn't help vacuum her dog's hair up, she barely did her share of the dishes and gods forbid someone ask her to help with firewood or the trash! And even though she had her own bathroom she would always blow dry her hair in the upstairs bathroom. She was always starting drama, that's the worst part. She was a two faced drama queen. She used me so it looked like she was not cheating on her husband (my brother), she was constantly inviting this guy over to the house and constantly drinking with him, she'd come home at 4 or 5 in the morning, made a ton of noise along with her dogs and wake us all up at 1 am, slept till noon or later and bitched about us being noisy (I have two kids), bitch about my mom who bitched to my brother about them never helping clean and thought we all owed her for some unfathomable reason. Did I mention they are the food I got with food stamps? They would never pitch in for food and when they did it was hidden or labeled. Oh and did I mention my brother was a police officer and she was a bartender? Both making about $75k a year? And they were both freeloading off my mom.

It got really bad at the end. I got fed up with their reign of the whole house, especially since they had their own living space in the basement complete with mini fridge and she would always talk shit to my kids. She's boss them around and butt in when I'd try to discipline. One day she came up the stairs and screamed at them because she was studying for school. Funny... she never cared if we were asleep at night and woke my baby up several times. So one day I decided to take all of their food and put it in their personal mini fridge. Reasonable yes? Oh well how dare I put their food in their fridge. I started arguing with my brother about their lack of respect for everyone in the house and how they are making more than enough to rent somewhere and she came storming upstairs and started yelling at me and getting in my face. She was literally inches from my face. So the yelling began... I went on about how they were making more than enough to rent somewhere else and how she was always starting shit and had no clue how hard some people had it (like myself) then she said I was receiving handouts and got knocked up and that the reason I was getting a divorce was because I screwed around on my husband. Then I slapped her. She called the cops, I got pulled over since I was told to leave the house by my brother who was restraining her from trying to hit me. So I grabbed my girls and left.

It's just so fucked up. They were making so much money and here I was trying to make it by on $600 a month and pay for two kids and all my own bills and go back to college and I was going through a divorce. No, I did not cheat on him either... Yes my mom was letting me live there rent free, but I did so chores and help out.

It's just funny. I look back and just shake my head. I really shouldn't have slapped her, but luckily there was no mark so she couldn't do anything. My family was furious that she called the cops on me.
    Last edited by Aakosir; 03-28-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Weasyl
    Soreiya
    When I was in 8th grade I went to the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind. So obviously I lived in a dorm. My first room mate was very inconsiderate... She and her friends would talk loudly with the lights on either late at night or early in the morning... This obviously annoyed me because it made it hard to sleep... I'm so thankful that they made rules about letting people come into your room... I'm also thankful that I was allowed to switch rooms...

When I was 19 or 20 I lived with my best friend at the time in a small condo for a few months. The main problem here was that she never cleaned her cat's litterbox and the cat would use the bathroom outside of it... Usually in back of the chair that I used while on the computer... >_> It got to the point where I'd be the one cleaning after the poor kitty. This at least was something that I could deal with. I could not deal with her asking for money before it's due date. I'm pretty strict about such things. This eventually caused a rift in our relationship and I decided to go back home.

Now a days I am 30 and still living at home. I have to deal with an abusive younger brother who does drugs and breaks things in fits of anger... He's a freeloader to the extreme going so far as to give food to his friends and to let them barrow our things without permission... Basically he is just really disrespectful and never listens to anything anybody tells him... He's been kicked out numerous times and breaks back into the house even when the top lock is locked.. Needless to say I've been rather stressed and depressed. My mother doesn't seem to know how to deal with this properly... I'd leave if I could, but my government check is hardly enough to pay rent in even a 1 bedroom apartment. I'm also not very independent.

mine is probably not so bad ive been lucky to be living w chill people mostly but when i was 19-20 i moved in w a sorta acquaintance
    he was a friend of the guy i was dating at the time

the apartment was a dump there was trash all over when i moved in and i cleaned everything and kept cleaning every other week because nobody would pick up after themselves
    id by food for myself but since there was people over every day i ended up buying double of w/e i got for food i tell em tho not to touch this juice thats my favorite but they do it the night i asked

i just got kinda mad told em to plz not do it again and next time i went to the store i bought two of the juice and some sandwich stuff to make for em cause why not i found a sandwich maker in the cupboard

get told im an asshole just cause i dont want people eating/drinking certain things im not hella strict about it it was only 1 drink 1 food i didnt want em having cause frankly theyre more money

under the careful watch of my roommate someone went into my room and stole all my ds games i dont even know how that happened but while they were at it they wrote some nasty shit about me on my game stand

after about 3 months of living there im told i need to get out in a week and i coulda sworn im supposed to be warned way before that
    the guy moving in was all kindsa shadey and a dealer even tho my roommate sold weed and acid this guy i think sold some heavy bs who later screwed my old roommate over and trashed the place making it unlivable

the entirety i lived there i was being called an asshole and im not sure why since i kept to myself and never actually expected a thanks for cleaning since i lived there too and only asked people not to eat/drink 2 things out of the many things i bought for food and drink

so not entirely a roommate situation but it was a p awful place to live all around
    tmblr - fa - da

Weasyl
    Rsyk
    I've found our recently that my last room mate is a conspiracy theorist type. We switched rooms early into this semester, ostensibly because he knew another guy better and got along with him more. Anyhow, a few weeks after I moved out, the Sandy Hook shooting happened. And almost instantly, he had tons of video's up on facebook calling conspiracy on the whole situation.

Dodged a bullet there I guess. My current room mate situation is just awkward. He's also gay, but we're in almost the perfect situation to never say anything to each other. I'm never in the room, he always is. He watches a ton of TV, mine isn't even plugged in. It's just kinda weird all around.

My roommates are the reason I vehemently hate marijuana. Imagine if you will that you like pizza. Now imagine if you were forced to eat pizza three meals a day, every day, for four months straight! And only one type of pizza, too. Only cheese pizza and nothing else! Well, that's my roommates with pot. It got so bad I told them to stop smoking the stuff in the house because I was afraid it would turn up in drug tests while I'm looking for work. Ever since then, they don't hang out at the house very much...

Weasyl
    Aakosir
    Quote Originally Posted by AurumLutra View Post
    My roommates are the reason I vehemently hate marijuana. Imagine if you will that you like pizza. Now imagine if you were forced to eat pizza three meals a day, every day, for four months straight! And only one type of pizza, too. Only cheese pizza and nothing else! Well, that's my roommates with pot. It got so bad I told them to stop smoking the stuff in the house because I was afraid it would turn up in drug tests while I'm looking for work. Ever since then, they don't hang out at the house very much...
    Just a little tid bit, second hand pot smoke will not cause you to test positive. You need to inhale it directly.

But yea, it does stink. I'd hate to carry the smell around

Regardless, the smell gets really old really quick and marijuana is overrated anyway. I smoked it once three years ago and it did nothing for me whatsoever. I can get much better emotions and feelings by listening to music than with drugs.

I've never had a roommate before, not quite old enough x'D

But my girlfriend's sister had a roommate that stole her hair and made a voodoo doll out of her o.o That was an awkward discovery on her part.
    The college I plan to go to doesn't have dorms, you have to get your own apartment. So I'm going to do that with my gf. Hopefully I don't have anything to complain about xD

/end tiny post compared to the others

Quote Originally Posted by AurumLutra View Post
    Regardless, the smell gets really old really quick and marijuana is overrated anyway. I smoked it once three years ago and it did nothing for me whatsoever. I can get much better emotions and feelings by listening to music than with drugs.
    So you judged a drug based on it doing nothing for you...which means you didn't smoke it properly (very common) and thus don't know what the actual effects are. :|

My worst roommate story involves my roommate shaving all over the bathroom and not cleaning it up. I need to talk to him about that actually. Other than that, he's pretty chill. He just has that one thing he does. I have been the crappy roommate in the past, but that was mostly because I used to be too depressed to live. It's hard to be clean or to do anything other than sleep all day under those conditions.