Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Roommate Horror Stories

Roommate Horror Stories

Almost all of us will have to deal with them at some point. They can be the most amazing best buds ever or....they can be an absolute disaster. Do you have any crazy or even inspirational stories to share? How about any advice on how to deal with a particular breed of roommate? I'll kick it off of course :3.

I have been living in my current apartment for the past two years. I live in a quad, or a four bedroom one floor apartment and each bedroom gets its own bathroom, which I believe has been the sole reason I haven't killed any of my roommates yet. In the time that I have lived here I have had 9 different roommates. None of my roommates have left because of any issues with anyone living here, they just all happen to be foreign, and usually go back to their home country. For the sake of being nice on the internet I won't list any real names.

The Disgusting African Cook: She left the stove on continuously, either with nothing on it or with a pot that had water in it once upon a time and by my time of discovering it, only had the charred remains of old food. She had WAY too much money and bought tons of unnecessary things that she abandoned when she moved out (if only I had been able to grab that giant flat screen TV she ditched!). She would leave pans filled with grease on the stove and counters, and as a final gift left a bowl of rancid rotting fruit in the kitchen. She was a very nice girl though.

The Golden Roommate: He made us fancy dinners, hung out with the furs, invited us to smoke hookahs, and even got me a birthday gift. I miss him the most TT^TT

The Deaf Disaster: My college has a HUGE deaf community due to it having a national institute of the Deaf. I have absolutely nothing against deaf people but this guy just didn't get it. He knocked on my door once and told me "I'm having a party tonight, I'll pay for the damages.". He opened one of my packages (an order of fabric for a customer) and, not knowing what it was, proceeded to throw the fabric across the furniture. He burned my skillet and melted my spatulas, all of which he used without asking for my permission.

The Fish Guy: This guy just loved fish. He ate fish every day. He threw away fish every day. The apartment smelled of rotting fish every day. When asked to take out the trash he bought a trash can with a lid to "stop the smell".

The Best Friend: She abandoned me (against her will) and everything has been miserable since :<

The "Hey, what's up?" Guy: Okay guy. Will watch me take out the trash and never offers to help. Always asks "Hey, what's up?" and walks away.

The Lobster Girl: Never spoke to anyone and would flat out ignore attempts to talk to her. Took a liking to my boyfriend, showed us her room which was so dirty it failed inspection. She had two lobsters in her room in a tank, they were kind of cool.

The rest of my roommates have been okay so far, although one left this past week and abandoned a mountain of trash. Trash is a constant issue in my apartment, but no matter how many times I ask, or clean in front of them, they just don't care.

Share your stories!
    Rawr rawr rawr!

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Weasyl
    MLR
    I've had exactly one roommate in my life, and I've been living alone since. I only had to live with him for a few months, during my freshman year of undergrad. He was a junior at the time, somewhat burned out by college, and not at all interested in making friends with the dopey freshman he got stuck rooming with. He was also flamboyantly gay, and he was the kind of gay that you get to be when you grow up suppressed in a rinky-dink conservative Nebraska small town and then manage to make it to a bigger city and a college atmosphere where no one cares about that sort of thing. So he just ran with it, as far and as hard as he could.
    He worked the night shift at one of the dorm security jobs. I often would wake up at 3 in the morning to him turning on the lights so he could apply boatloads of makeup and mascara. This job would take him almost an hour. When he got back, it was often with a very noisy group of females who would invade the room for the rest of the day. They enjoyed watching Desperate Housewives, and for whatever reason this always had to be done in our room.
    He also had a boyfriend (a different person depending on what kind of drama he felt like having that week), and he apparently had no qualms screwing him on the futon, which was right behind my desk, which I was sitting at doing homework or something else.
    He was also a huge fan of Bjork and Jeff Buckley, or rather, two particular songs by those musicians, which he would play over and over on an endless loop. He loved these songs so much, he would sing along with them, and then scribble the words to them on the room's message board that was tacked to the door.

I put up with him for two months or so, then went on a rabid search for a single room in another dormitory. Luckily, I managed to snag one halfway through the semester; the room was twice as big, cost 3/4 as much, and was on one of the quietest floors on campus. I never looked back.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Ah yes, the African cook. I had one of these back in college but he was super nice. He'd cook delicious peanut chicken all the time and he'd offer me a plate every time. Every once in a while he'd invite friends and the kitchen would be full of black people eating chicken. I'd say the only downside is that he listened to shitty rap all the time, fell asleep with his music on, did his laundry around 11:00pm (sometimes the cooking too) and he only did the dishes once a week or so.

Then I moved to another town and gosh were the people in there insane. I was stuck between two roommates. One was a bodybuilder/firefighter who despised sound. He'd bash on the walls every time I played music. He'd yell at me and threaten me when I accidentally left my door open because apparently that's the biggest insult you could do to a roommate. He'd purposely smear food and coffee (I was the only one who drank coffee) on the kitchen walls, dirty dishes and put them in random spots and blame it all on me. He really did everything to make me leave (successfully) even though he himself was moving out the month after. My other roommate was a guy from Lac Saint-Jean. True to his roots, he fucked a different girl every night, all night, and I could hear everything. When I told him to either stop screwing around, moan less like a bitch or actually do it somewhere else, he just gave me sleeping pills and basically told me to get used to it. Other than that he was pretty chill and quiet and we shared the Internet. Things only got worse and worse till one night they came back from the pub drunk at 4:00am, opened my door and threw me dishes full of ketchup before then yelling and threatening to beat me up if I didn't behave. I told the landlord that it was his last chance to throw 'em in the road or I'd call the cops (I had already warned him multiple times but hey, they've been around longer than me so I'm the problem). He said it wasn't his job to take care of us, that we were responsible adults and were supposed to get along well; quite ironical since he was an ex-cop. Then a day later he evicted me and said I should see a psychologist 'cause I clearly was dangerous. I moved back to the town I lived in before because I know there the people aren't batshit insane.

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    Aden
    Ohoho, do I have a story for you

So two friends and I were sharing a house in college with another acquaintance. Let's call her 'Amanda'. Amanda had previously been in a relationship with one of the two other friends, who I'll call 'Adam', but they had mutually broken it off a while ago and everything was fine between them. Amanda seemed pretty chill when we all started renting together - sociable, polite, personable, enthusiastic. Things seemed great, housing was figured out, and we could all focus on academics and jobs.

Only Amanda felt like getting a little more insane every day across the period of almost two years we were in that house. It started out innocently enough - some cranky and annoying behavior, some selective forgetfulness, less helping out with chores. Then Amanda and Adam got back together and the real fun started.

Her bad side came out. She monopolized Adam's time, constantly. She had him do all her chores and run out almost nightly for fast food (she lived on the stuff). She was inconsiderate, pushy, and pouty when she didn't get her way. She was a loud lay. And, of course, she threatened to kill herself if he left her again. By this time tensions between Amanda vs the other roommate and I came to a head and we didn't bother to mask our dislike anymore.

To truncate the story, Adam broke it off again, events culminated in Amanda threatening us with a shotgun, the cops got called (who couldn't do anything, as Amanda has a cop for a dad who advised her to lock the shotgun in her car trunk so they'd need a warrant to open it), and we decided to finally leave. We packed everything and moved out entirely in under 20 hours. For the latter half, Amanda got home, saw what we were doing, and somehow got a couple of muscle-bound neighborhood thugs (was a bad neighborhood) to try to intimidate us as we moved. Cops got called again for that, too.

The new house was much better, anyway

Haha oh man...I've had a few. Well, one of them is actually one of my best friends, but unfortunately she could be pretty hard to live with - we got along famously, but the way she treated her pets...we had a two bedroom, living room, basement apartment, and she kept two dogs and a rabbit. One dog was one of those long nosed ones that had trouble breathing because they'd been genetically bred to have heads like bullets; the other was a Chizu that was maybe 5 times too big for the apartment. She had to keep them both in cages every day for the majority of the day; for the longest time she kept the long nosed one, a runner, in a pet carrier for about 3/4 of the day while she had classes. She couldn't deal with both of them at once so she would often leave him in there while the other one was out.

We both smoked weed at the time, and she would blow smoke in the little one's face to sedate him, exacerbating his breathing problems. The dog was wheezing for air at all times and vomited several times. I'm sure he was dehydrated often. I was sitting with him and let him drink from the cup of water I was sipping from, I felt so bad for him.

During all this, the rabbit was mostly ignored. Between college, the dogs, and other life problems, she simply never had time for it.

In the end, her ex boyfriend moved out and she gave the little dog to him. It died a month or two later, when he let it eat some onions off the floor. To be honest, both my girlfriend and I were happy for the dog, that his suffering was finally ended.

We're still good friends, and the chizu is living a much better life now, at least, I think so. Still, those poor animals.
    Last edited by InvertedVantage; 03-05-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Weasyl
    Algorithmus
    I once had a roommate from Pakistan. She seems to love to have sex. It was so bad that I began being able to hear her doing it. Even with my headphones on. And then I once asked my other roommates if they could hear her doing it too. And they said they did too. It was so bad that my other roommate once reported hearing her from downstairs. I once knocked on her door (I had a valid reason for doing so though; I did actually have to see her about something) while she was doing it, and she answered it after a slight pause. And she obviously didn't open the door all the way.
    She also did poorly at school, and never did her share of cleaning up the common area.
    I think in comparison, this story isn't all that exciting. If you want a really good one, try this one: http://www.wyseguys.com/blag/shitty-roommate/meet-jed/

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Quote Originally Posted by Algorithmus View Post
    I think in comparison, this story isn't all that exciting. If you want a really good one, try this one: http://www.wyseguys.com/blag/shitty-roommate/meet-jed/
    Yea, I read this one a long time ago. I still think the guy who wrote it is one of the biggest retard ever.

Since leaving home, I've had to bounce around a lot. When I met my boyfriend, we had to find a cheap place to live- his solution was living with an acquaintance in the old abandoned Navy housing on top of the hill.

Some clarifications: His acquaintance was an old local guy in his fifties, does towing. Pretty decent guy and for the most part had no problems, but he also lived with a guy that was, to put it kindly, kind of retarded. He attitude was something akin to a puppy- he liked to do things for people and was generally nice and friendly, but he also liked to steal stuff when people weren't looking, did drugs (and got the main guy into it as well) and was completely unintelligible when he spoke. I don't even know how other people figure him out.

The old navy housing was abandoned long enough for the buildings to fall in disrepair. The military had only recently returned it back to the locals, and while the buildings themselves were still liveable, a lot of the wooden things like the doors, cabinets were just rotting to hell, with some areas suffering hurricane damage from the doors being blown out. The only source of water was from the nasty ass bathroom (that no one wanted to clean but me because it was seriously grossing me out) and the tap outside the house, situated over a sewer in an overgrown backyard. I had to sit there a ton of times cleaning dishes and other shit because our roommates (and my boyfriend) would never clean dishes, getting bitten by mosquitoes and harassed by other insects all the while. Eventually, someone moved into the unit next of ours and started hooking up a hose to get water on their side of the house (which they couldn't get hooked up because the water and electricity are kind of illegally installed), making it harder to get access to water over time.

As bad a place it was, it was livable, up until the neighbors (and eventually our roommate) became unbearable to live with. Our neighbors were a local family my BF knew and grew up with, and in the beginning were really friendly and supportive. Their one drawback was that they liked to drink, and that was fine for a while- they drunk in the evenings and invited us to hang out with them. Over time however, it took on a more destructive turn- they started asking my boyfriend to contribute to their 'beer fund' since he hangs out with them, then becoming more forceful to the point of extortion, giving every excuse for him to pay for it. Because the doors of our house were not really enforced, let alone having proper locks on them, they were free to come and go to harass him as much as they pleased. It reached a point where their once amiable drunkenness started slipping into outright violence, and altercations between my bf and the family were becoming much more frequent and severe. I personally didn't have anything to do with them (I didn't like their lifestyle and spent most of my time in my room) until I made an off comment to one of the girls and she flipped out. My bf stopped any fight from happening, but when she left, she sent her mother in law stomping into our house and trying to force her way into our room to get at me. Again, bad doors were practically useless, but I was able to hold it up against her pounding and screaming until she finally went away frustrated. Our many days roommate wasn't any better- he was usually so mellow but he started developing this extremely volatile temper as well to the point where I spent a lot of days worrying if someone would finally snap and just try to grab the nearest machete and start swinging. Machetes were a commonplace and easily accessible weapon.

It didn't help that this area was also on top of a hill, and that in itself caused huge problems. Besides the insane gas usage, it broke down our van for several months and we became dependent on the family to get us rides down to town (the hill was far too large and steep to go on foot). Eventually we finally got it fixed (no thanks to the local mechanics that fucked up most of the engine) and slowly tried to earn enough to move out. The only real reason we stayed because it was insanely cheap compared to even the cheapest apartment around, and we weren't exactly doing full time jobs.

Funnily enough, the big move only happened when my BF was arrested for DWI, being involved with a motor accident with injuries. I took the opportunity to stay in a room with a Filipino family for cheap and left that place finally. Bf eventually was released and had to find some place to live in the meantime until we saved enough to actually have a pretty decent apartment. We've been living pretty good ever since, but we never forgot that awful experience. Whenever the talk of roommates come up, my bf is always wary because of it. We both know you can't ever tell what kind of people you're forced to live with until you're far along in the trainride, and sometimes that's a ride that's hard to get off of.
    Last edited by TigerBeacon; 03-07-2013 at 02:04 AM.

Weasyl
    MaliceEpsy
    I was living with 2 other people at job corp...

I woke up and the one girl i was roomed with was very drunk, I tried to help her to the bathroom but she didn't make it and began to throw up. She slipped in her own puke and i wasn't just going to leave her laying face down in her own vomit so i helped her to the bathroom and walked to my room only to find my other room mate passed out her pants to her ankles. She had pissed on my bed and all over the floor.
    Pee still terrifies me to this day and i went to job corp for only a year!

Weasyl
    N/A
    Ahaha oh my god.

My first experience with roommates was the worst, and turned me off to rooming with people I've never met. I was at a university, and Freshmen were required to stay in the dorms for their first year. Which is a really stupid rule, IMO. Anyway, I was forced to live with three roommates, and only one of those three were remotely "nice." We had our own rooms, and thankfully I didn't have to share with anyone.

However, these roommates were... incredibly rude, and stingy. They were well-off in terms of finances, while I was struggling to get by. My parents had been sucked dry by paying for my college and I would only get about $150 a month for food. I was 18 at the time, I had never had a job, I didn't have a car, and I didn't know jack shit about managing my money, so it was often blown away really quick. All of my roommates had cars and were able to go places at their leisure, while I was stuck on campus. I couldn't (and they wouldn't) drive me to the supermarket a mile away, and I was forced to walk there and back while carrying loads of groceries. Sometimes I had to make two trips, and frankly, it made me feel very unsafe.

On top of that, these roommates were disgusting and blamed others for their messes. I ALWAYS washed my dishes- they never did. They'd left out food before, too, and it would rot. Sometimes the smell would get so bad I was forced to clean it before they would. They also dirtied up the bathroom a lot, left their laundry everywhere, and all sorts of other gross things.

These roommates were also underage, and drinking. I would have a class at 9 AM twice a week. One night, they came home shitfaced-drunk at 2 in the morning, screaming and making all sorts of noise, thus interrupting my sleep. When I mentioned this, they promised to be more careful but that never happened. I decided enough was enough and left a room reassignment request at the front desk, and also reported them for underage drinking. Nothing changed, nothing got done. In fact I was completely ignored.

I decided to drop out and leave two weeks after the drunk incident because I couldn't take it anymore. I was struggling with depression and was hours away from home, and I had no money to support myself. On top of that I was just dealing with a lot of bullshit.

Moral of the story, not all 18 year olds are ready to go out in the world. Now I'm EAGER to leave and way better at managing my money, but I just don't have the finances to pay for my own place. I'm still in college and I just want to be done already.