Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Mayhem

Community Speed Paint Thread

Joining this thread is always a great way to challenge yourself and also bring the community together.

So Welcome to the speed painting thread and I hope you jump right in.

Speed Painting:
    This is an exercise in which one paints a scene, character, emotive background under the restriction of a certain time frame. Using the skills they have already mastered and challenging themselves to try out new skills.

A lot of art schools use this technique as a warm up or as a way to stress certain points. Sometimes speed sketching is used to help an artist develop a skill that allowed them to catch images of movement into their sketchbooks.

The reason for this is to challenge oneself to push your artistic skills and learn new things. The old saying "practice makes perfect" hasn't been around forever for no reason. Speed painting teaches you time management and how to do things within a set schedule which is essential in most career fields.

I always encourage people to practice and then also to challenge oneself. If you draw the same simple drawing everyday, you will be able to draw that simple drawing perfectly in now time. The problem is your art wont progress and grow. If you challenge yourself to different things and take yourself out of your comfort zone from time to time you will find that in as little as six months you can see remarkable improvement.

How long is a speed Paint:

The time frame is truly up to you as only you know how long you usually take to render an image and thus what is fast to you, But as a general rule, try to keep yourself under 2 hours as a restrictive time frame is important to the exercise.

How to participate:
    That is the easy part. Challenge yourself to do at least one speed paint every couple weeks. That's only two practice speed paints a month.
    ● Set up your canvas and tablet just like you like it.
    ● Grab yourself something to drink and go take a bio break.
    ● Time yourself with your cellphone or just keep checking the clock.
    ● Then get started, When the time is up save it at that point.
    (Of course you may feel the need to go back and finish it if you didnt think you are done)
    ● Upload it to imageshack or photobucket
    ● Post it here and get feed back from the community
    ● Save that file into a folder names speed paint on your computer and number them sequentially. That way you can go back in a few months and see your improvements.

What to draw:
    Draw something that interests you. This is a speed paint to help you improve. The worst thing that you want to do is not be interested in the think you are drawing. Challenge yourself to new aspects of what you draw.
    For now there really isnt a theme for this month, if you really need an idea here is one. Draw your character and go all out on them, Put everything you got into it for that two hours. Dont just draw the same old thing you always draw. Lets see some clothes, backgrounds, accessories, emotion, visual effects, something new to your art. I guess this is a good idea for the first speed paint thread on weasyl.
    If there is a theme for the month just try to make it fit into the theme whatever you draw.
    Make sure that whatever you post you have went over the forum rules and its acceptable.

~~
    Hopefully everyone gets into this and we all grow as artists together.
    If this thread gets really active and gets too many pages, maybe we will start a new thread and have themes months.
    Now as I stated this is to challenge yourself and move forward.
    I request that you make new art and not just post old speed paints that you have already done.
    There is a critique thread if you want your old arts critiqued
    I request that posters keep comments to posting speed paints or commenting on someone elses speedpaint. (Just asking to please keep off topic talk to a minimum)

Have fun, learn, and grow as an artist.

(Since I am not a mod, I encourage them to watch this thread if it gets popular and help maintain everything about it. I will of course help as much as I can. Even granting permission to them to edit this post if they have something to add to it)

✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰

The quick and simple explaination:

Practice your speed painting and challenge yourself to try new things in under 2 hours.

Post it here.

Speed paints due every Saturday/Sunday

✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰
    March- Your own character / Something you know
    April - Mechanical Monsters and Mecha Monstrosities - So get your gear on and give us some cars, robots, guns and metalic nightmares.

Current Speed Paint Topic June - Movement Month- Practice showing things move
    July - Perspective Month - Drop it to the floor and show it from low low low low low. Take those angles to the extreme and foreshorten things like never before.
    August - Mood lighting- Stop using that its from slightly above lightings, Lets get so shadows and light really going and set the mood
    Sept - Character Interaction Month - A lot of people dont know how to have characters interact. Lets play chess, or hug, or....well some things people are into cant be shown here on the forum. Keep it pg 13
    Oct - Build-A-Monster - Do things that havent been done before.
    Sept - Background and Landscapes
    Last edited by Mayhem; 06-03-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Weasyl
    Mayhem

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4

Weasyl
    Fiz

Weasyl
    Mayhem

Weasyl
    Kanagrooboy

Weasyl
    Mayhem
    Last edited by Mayhem; 04-02-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Weasyl
    Mayhem
    This weekend marks the official start of this months theme:

Mechanical Monsters and Mecha Monstrosities
    So get your gear on and give us some cars, robots, guns and metalic nightmares.
    Robots
    Telephones
    Cars
    Spaceships
    Guns
    Computers
    Clockworks

Just to give off a few of the ideas.

The joy of this subject this month brings with it new challenges. Things that have structure like these have anatomy of their own and also the angle that you draw these machines really can make pieces seem real or not. Have fun and challenge yourself with something hard but just remember.....dont run out of time!

Ohmy, this sounds fun! Hopefully I'll get the time to join!