Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Uini View Post
    I love creating stories for my characters. The big story I have in mind is for my ex-sonic character. I always envisioned it as some type of movie or animation. Comic works as well too. I'd been tinkering with giving her an extended saga-esque story for a very long time, actually since I created her, and even roped in some of my other characters to expand the story's universe. It wasn't until recently I'd actually started legit fleshing out an actual story other than the convoluted garbage I'd stick her in every so often, and I must I do enjoy the results I'm digging up. There's still a lot of work for me to do however!
    Wow, you must have recycled the character quite a bit to deviate enough from Sonic I guess?

Weasyl
    StudioTRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Psuedoimp View Post
    Wow, you must have recycled the character quite a bit to deviate enough from Sonic I guess?
    Well to be honest, out of the near 10 years I've had the character, I haven't had her attached to the sonic series for about 5 years. She'd mainly been attached simply because of her design. She carried around a pretty shitty prototype of the story I'm currently working out for her, so only now am I seriously trying to design her to look less like a sonic and more like something original.

In a sense I guess she's been pretty recycled.

Haha. I love character evolutions. Taking old characters and recycling them into something that isn't shameful anymore is really cool. One of the protagonists of the webcomic I'm working on has had some pretty interesting character evolution - but nothing too drastic. I've had some characters evolve into entirely different genres (mostly, all of my old fancharacters changed drastically to fit into my original stories). I had a Final Fantasy VIII fan-character that I recycled and merged with another old character (for medieval fantasy role plays) for a Dark Fantasy plot of mine.

Weasyl
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Psuedoimp View Post
    The biggest thing to remember is that it's the way you do something that matters, not whether or not it's 100% original. There are so few 100% original thoughts left in the world that it would be incredibly boring to never see another person's take on something. For example, if no one told their own versions of stories Tolkien would have been the start and the end of High Fantasy.

One of my biggest projects (A generational 5-act story called WEST) has a lot of aspects that are similar to the Dark Tower trilogy by Stephen King, but by no means do they tell the same story.
    Yeah. I know nothing comes from nowhere. Creativity is just novel adaptation. I just want to make sure what I adapt isn't transparent. I don't want to be 100% original, I just want to be 50%. And I feel I can curve my tendencies toward that end if I go at my writing this way. I'm not losing anything by it, but I think that anything I gain will be worth it. Fuck knows what that entails, but still. Hopefully I'll have something to share at some point some day.
    Look at all the fun we're having.

I have so many stories in my head that it's staggering at times. I don't keep an accurate count on all of my characters, generally I just pull them out or make new ones when I need to use the, for RP or writing or something.

I've participated in NaNoWriMo the last few years, and won in both 2010 and 2011... Unfortunately, I never went on to finish either of those novels, and they sat incomplete until I decided to just throw them into a volume together and publish it to redeem my five free book copies coupon from Createspace that I got as a NaNo winner.

I plan to start working on a new novel or, like, rewriting the oldest one I did on NaNo soon though. =o=

I once had a fairly massive fantasy world developed in my head, but it's very faded and worn now, and every attempt to adapt into some palpable form has failed in the past and I don't really have the creative drive to try to put it down on paper anymore. u_u

@Lee:
    I've always wanted to participate in Nano, but the one year I decided to after the first week I fell into a pretty heavy depression and wound up dropping out. :C One year I wanna give it another try though.

@Kitten:
    That's too bad! World-building was always my favourite part of creating stories. ;o;

Weasyl
    MLR
    I write. My ideas tend to be few and far between, but I try to make most of them work toward something. I have a novel I've been chipping away at for years now. I think it's more or less finished, but I'm waiting until I'm at a more relaxed period in my life before I try doing anything with it, so in the meantime I keep changing small things, making small improvements, and so on. Hopefully by the time I get around to finding a publisher, it'll be something worthwhile.
    Otherwise, I've had a select few stories published in various magazines, but it takes me a long time to get things to that state. It's mostly just that I find it hard to get started on things. I did NaNo once and was pleased with the story I pumped out (some day I'll get around to fixing it and doing something more with it). I'd like to do it again, but it'll have to wait until I'm finished forever with taking classes, I think.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I'm working on one that's basically a different perspective on the Book of Tobit from the catholic bible. Given that two of my characters is are important beings in it, I figured I'd work it as part of their back story. It's more in depth to their rivalry and what happened instead of the vagueness that's in the bible.

Weasyl
    Zalcoti
    I'm not much of a writer, but still learning! I draw more often and hope to start a comic soon. The world building is just about done and the stories are planned out. They just need to be revised and scripted for final comic pages. It's nerve-wracking since I'm hard on myself and have no idea if what's written is crap or not.