Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Weasyl
    Shad-Wolf
    I was once in a position where I felt that the current education I was getting in College wasn't right for me, for me I wasn't given any kind of option of what I wanted from when I left school, cuz the school I went to sorta picked out what they thought be best for me cuz they got it funded my course for 1 year. :/

by the 2nd year attending college I still didn't like what I was doing so I ended up dropping out, they did somehow manage to fund me again for another year, so I felt like dropping out of college which was about half way through cuz I felt like I had enough of not getting what I was looking for. But at least I didn't have to pay a thing for the coursed cuz they were already funded for me, so I haven't wasted anything, except for the time I wasted there.

Another thing… I during my first year I was suppose to get a Bursary where you get paid for going to college, but they somehow fucked up on my application and I never got anything from it which was a complete waste of my time once again after having the form for getting it, filling it out and submitting it to the college office which dealt with it.

––

Thinking now though, I'm thinking going back to college again and try get something I'm looking for, which is in the field of IT and Programming related stuff. There's so many different courses it difficult to pick what's right for me.

Weasyl
    N/A
    This makes me feel really glad I took a break and then pursued general prerequisites instead of jumping headlong into a career.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    Did you ever find the idea of an IT job appealing, or did you really just go down that path simply because it was there? The latter case would be a far stronger argument towards abandoning the IT degree.
    Unfortunately, I did not ever find the idea appealing whatsoever. I had worked at a high school doing actual IT work once and found it acceptable, but never something I'd want to do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    What it really comes down to is that you're going to have to figure out what you actually want to do in life, and you're going to have to figure out a realistic plan to make that happen. That might involve completing your IT degree and it might not.
    Certainly, if you are interested in theater, you should talk with the program at your school and see if you can find someone familiar with that field who can offer advice.
    Thank you so much for all of this advice, you're very right and I have taken these past few days to really think things over. I have one more quarter left in this year that I'm going to try to finish but I have decided to apply for internships and jobs in theatres, while also looking for volunteer work. At the same time I plan on working an IT job, just to make sure that I'm not jumping the gun in assuming that IT work is as bad as I've cut it out to be in my mind. If it is I think I'll take a break from school and follow the path that volunteering/working an internship has opened up for me in theatre production. I hope that I can balance this and make enough money to fend off the loans once they come for me in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    Blarg, why can't education in the US be affordable like in civilized countries?
    This is the most valid question ever *laughs*. I am currently studying German, and all I could focus on was the fact that their education is (almost completely) free.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadWolf View Post
    Thinking now though, I'm thinking going back to college again and try get something I'm looking for, which is in the field of IT and Programming related stuff. There's so many different courses it difficult to pick what's right for me.
    I think you should definitely go for it, if you have the desire to learn and would like to get a degree to climb higher in your personal goals you should definitely pursue your options. :3 IT itself is an extremely broad field, so you will have plenty of time to play around with different areas and what will fit you best.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    This makes me feel really glad I took a break and then pursued general prerequisites instead of jumping headlong into a career.
    This definitely seems like the smart thing to do with college. My parents were so non-stop on the education pressure (along with my high school) that I was forced to jump straight into the unknown. Some people manage just fine, I unfortunately did not do so well u.u.
    Rawr rawr rawr!

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Sounds like you've got the right idea. As long as you're willing to put in the work to get where you want to go I'm sure you'll do fine.

Weasyl
    Shiko
    I know how you feel. I just recently graduated from College this past July. I had been in for 3 years trying to achieve a 2 year degree. About 11 months before I was done I realized that...I in-fact didn't want to do web design for a career. I thought of it more of a hobby and something I wanted to do in my spare time, not every-day. I as well noticed that my particular style is cartoonish, and most web and graphic design firms perfer the polished business look. (which is understandable) So I felt that I had failed. It was really hard. I was battling with myself if I should just quit and save money....or continue...finish and feel proud to have a College Degree.

In the end I chose to finish. Even though it was my choice I still have up's and down's. I am finding it's going to be nearly impossible to go back to school unless I start pulling private student loans as I almost fully exhausted my stafford Loan. But as you... I have found myself really wanting to learn something in a Trade...like pottery or gem cutting. Something that is creative. I originally wanted to go back to school to become a System Administrator (IT) but decided against it. My choice was simply so I could get a job and make money so I could survive and pay off my student loans. Honestly though, life is too short to just throw yourself into a job or career that you simply just did to earn money and to just "get by" I personally think that no matter the money doing something you love and enjoy is way more rewarding.

~~~In my opinion with your situation. I would have quite 11 months before I was suppose to graduate IF I was getting bad grades. But I had been on the Dean's list so many times with a 4.0 that I felt stopping would only hurt me. In your case (and no offense) I can understand stress honestly can mess up everything and taking on too much at once. I think that since they pushed you back a year you already did that you should probably stop. You would save money, and not have to re-pay for a year you already did. (which is BS ><) In the end though it comes down to your decision. Always remember that after you stop college you do have to defer loans and all that good stuff...and really try and get out in the working world. ^^~~~

Hope this helps at least a little. Best Wishes!

What I would suggest is finding trade shows and organizations for what you want to do, and try to network with people directly through them. For an art-based career you will have to make a portfolio of your work, and transitioning from one field to the other will be difficult, but not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiko View Post
    ~~~In my opinion with your situation. I would have quite 11 months before I was suppose to graduate IF I was getting bad grades. But I had been on the Dean's list so many times with a 4.0 that I felt stopping would only hurt me. In your case (and no offense) I can understand stress honestly can mess up everything and taking on too much at once. I think that since they pushed you back a year you already did that you should probably stop. You would save money, and not have to re-pay for a year you already did. (which is BS ><) In the end though it comes down to your decision. Always remember that after you stop college you do have to defer loans and all that good stuff...and really try and get out in the working world. ^^~~~

Hope this helps at least a little. Best Wishes!
    This was amazing to read, very solid advice and I really appreciate that you're coming from the exact same situation (I just owe way more money hahaha). I wish I had only done a two year degree myself, IT really doesn't need $40k at a 4 year college, I realize this now >.<. I'm seriously considering at least taking a break at the end of this summer, it really all depends on how well I do with getting a job and an internship. As you very accurately said, I do have to make sure that I get a job and brace myself for the loan deferment process if I decide to drop school.

Life is so short and there's really no reason to live it miserably, especially when you've already found what makes you happy and a viable way to pursue that lifelong happiness. Your post really resonates with me, thank you again. It has given me more to think over ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by InvertedVantage View Post
    What I would suggest is finding trade shows and organizations for what you want to do, and try to network with people directly through them. For an art-based career you will have to make a portfolio of your work, and transitioning from one field to the other will be difficult, but not impossible.
    Yeah, I think I'm going to start assembling a portfolio and seeing what I have to do exactly to get myself out there, I have some solid work that may not be spectacular, but is definitely worth showing to people looking for interns and general assistance. When I get it assembled I may share it with you guys to see if I have a chance :3. Or if I "shouldn't quit my day job" hahahaha X3.
    Rawr rawr rawr!

Weasyl
    Algorithmus
    There might be a chance to do an internship in another country, depending on what's available at your university. I know I did an IT one at Technische Universität Darmstadt once, and it was an awesome experience. It's part of what helped convince me to find work over here, and I love it. I don't know if it's cheaper, but I ended up coming home with more euros than I started with because they gave us a stipend, and I didn't squander it all away. The program doesn't require you know any German, but it would be a bonus. Feel free to ask if you're interested.

I was going to suggest co-op as well, but it looks like you've already considered it.

It might also be easier to start off at IT, and work at companies that don't focus completely on computing. I work as a programmer for a design company, for example, and I have a cousin who works at a pharmacy as their IT tech guy. You could probably just use it as a kind of networking if your best chance of finding a job is through IT.

Weasyl
    Shiko
    Quote Originally Posted by Kila View Post
    This was amazing to read, very solid advice and I really appreciate that you're coming from the exact same situation (I just owe way more money hahaha). I wish I had only done a two year degree myself, IT really doesn't need $40k at a 4 year college, I realize this now >.<. I'm seriously considering at least taking a break at the end of this summer, it really all depends on how well I do with getting a job and an internship. As you very accurately said, I do have to make sure that I get a job and brace myself for the loan deferment process if I decide to drop school.

Life is so short and there's really no reason to live it miserably, especially when you've already found what makes you happy and a viable way to pursue that lifelong happiness. Your post really resonates with me, thank you again. It has given me more to think over ^.^

Yeah, I think I'm going to start assembling a portfolio and seeing what I have to do exactly to get myself out there, I have some solid work that may not be spectacular, but is definitely worth showing to people looking for interns and general assistance. When I get it assembled I may share it with you guys to see if I have a chance :3. Or if I "shouldn't quit my day job" hahahaha X3.

I hear ya. Honestly it cost me 40K for just 2 years at the College I went too. Of course this college was online. When I got out of highschool my situation was no job, no car, I lived with my mom and even she didn't have a car so my only option was Online schooling. So basically not even a month after graduating Highschool I was in College Full Time. Personally I think I should of waited and given myself time to actually think about what I wanted out of a Career and possibly my mistake wouldn't of been made. Luckily my Mate has been telling me that having a Degree is something to be proud of no matter if it was a mistake or not, he's now making me take a few years off and telling me to really think about what I want to do Money aside.

Please keep us updated with what you decide and the verdicts College is very stressful and causes a Love hate relationship x3

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Meanwhile I paid around 250$/year for college, excluding the equipment which usually went around 100-200$ tops (200$ happened one single semester and the book lasted throughout my whole diploma, and they said it'd last me through university was well if I chose to continue)