Weasyl
    Aakosir

LinkedIn? How well does it work?

I have had several people tell me I should make myself a profile on LinkedIn, the job networking site, and that it will help me find a job. I know two others who are on it, but it has not worked so well for them. Then again the one is not very active on it and I don't know about the other.

Do you use it? Do you know people who do? How successful have you/they been? Any advice about using it?

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Weasyl
    Aden
    It's never helped me. Any success I've had with networking has been through meeting people in person (interviews, trade shows, conferences, friends) and appearing motivated and enthusiastic.

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    I've had people contact me because they like my art via LinkedIn, but it hasn't led to any jobs. More experienced people always recommend LinkedIn, so it must be some sort of useful. LinkedIn also has groups you can join to get feedback and tips from others in your field (there's one for picture book illustration, for example), so if it isn't good for job hunting then it's good for gathering information. It can't hurt to create one, you never know who's looking.

For that matter, I recommend all of the following, especially if you're going into the art world: Facebook fan page, Twitter, any kind of blog (tumblr is popular), website+domain name, and about.me. If you're looking for a "normal" job, keep your Facebook profile as clean and non-controversial as you can!

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4

Weasyl
    Term
    LinkedIn, as Aden mentioned, is pretty good for networking and that's about it.

Every once in a while you'll get some notices about open jobs, but most of the time those same jobs can be found on sites like Indeed, Mandy, and so forth.

At the very least it's a nice place to throw up your resume.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    Weasyl
    Taw
    I've used LinkedIn but never got any job offers or anything through it and such. It's mostly just an addition to my resume and CV and stuff for the potential employer to take a look at for anything else they wish to know about me.

The only thing I really utilize it for is finding out where local people in my industry meet up and such for social events and casual meetings to discuss different things and whatnot. Can be fun, I suppose, helps network a bit.

I've had limited success with Linkedin. Mostly picking up freelance work there, but I've had at least one big job offer from a real employer who found my resume there. I didn't take it because I didn't want to move Across the country 3 months after moving to Savannah from Atlanta. That, and I think the company that made the offer is evil.

Personally, I think that sites like Monster border on useless, at least for my field. The only job offers I ever got there are selling insurance to old people when I'm terrible at sales.
    Last edited by Lava; 03-03-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I just created a LinkedIn profile two days ago. I have no experience with it helping but I have heard that it does. Easy to imagine that sharing connections with someone could improve your chances of getting a position. There was one woman in my lab who was applying for training in Switzerland and the interviewer then looked at her LinkedIn profile so it is something that they use.
    "If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
    ~John Stuart Mill~

Furry News: http://www.flayrah.com/

I feel like LinkedIn is useful for people who need a resume online or have a place for employers to go to when they Google their name or what have you. Also, many of the groups in LinkedIn is where the real networking happens, and a lot of times employers will post jobs in those groups and nowhere else.

9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9

Weasyl
    Juste
    I do not know a single person where LinkedIn played a major (or noticeable) role in their acquisition of a job. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, though.