Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    serbus

Its a shame I can't make a living off of this

I love doing commissions. I love making art and I love that moment after everything's done and your commissioner sends you that final message "OMG, its awesome!" I live for those moments.

*sigh*

I've recently received some bad news concerning my living arrangements and it is entirely possible I will be homeless again come April (at least this time it won't be snowing all the time). Its with this in my mind that I think to myself,

If only I could make a living off my art.

Anything you want to do forever, but can't?
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

I also sell art, feel free to contact me for a quote!

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Eat.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3

Weasyl
    Term
    Well as much as freelance is nice and all the real money comes from when you decide to sign on with a studio, publisher, or production company. As much as private commissions may be fun to do, you should really try to focus more of your efforts to doing other kinds of drawing such as storyboarding or some other type of artistic work which still allows you to draw though you may be more restricted as per the content.

Of course you could still do work in your free time, but you need to also place priority on jobs that will bring in more stable kinds of income as opposed to just looking for private clients.

Weasyl
    smarticus
    Try not to think purely in illustration. Design is just as, if not, bigger. Applying for Advert Design, public relations design, or graphics design can get some pretty stable work. As long as you know you have the ingenuity, companies are always needing new ads.

Weasyl
    serbus
    @Ibuuyk: Yes, food is awesome. I like to forage a lot. Pickings are slim in the winter, but spring is starting to bloom and my onions and cabbage are already peaking out of the snow, so I think its gonna be a good year for foraging.

@Term: I am working on my BS in Game Art right now, but even Game Design is always contract work. I've never expected freelance work to support me. Doesn't stop me from wishing though. I don't really look for money, I just want enough to survive and not worry about sleeping in my car. I'm a bit of a bohemian, so I've always tried to lead a simple life.

It just hurts to think about sleeping in my car again and its times like this that I long for those happy moments. Doing art for other people makes me very happy.
    Last edited by serbus; 02-23-2013 at 02:44 AM.
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    You've got time to prepare, at least. Buckle down and get set.

Weasyl
    serbus
    That's very true. I have a little over a month to get my things in order. Plus there's a 20% chance it may not happen. XD
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Better to have supplies and not need them then to need supplies and not have them.

Weasyl
    Shad-Wolf
    Commissioning for money is hard, unless you're popular nobody would bother commissioning someone unknown. It's hard when you want to work for money by creating arts for others.

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadWolf View Post
    Commissioning for money is hard, unless you're popular nobody would bother commissioning someone unknown. It's hard when you want to work for money by creating arts for others.
    This is another reason why doing proper freelance will be a good thing. You can work based on skill rather than popularity.