Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How popular are YCH sales?

I've been looking into opening commissions to get some money coming in, but I really am not good at doing things based on what other people want to see drawn. That being said, I'm considering opening up some YCH auctions/sales/etc, and just... Having those be what I do.
    How popular are those, though? Do people really go after them, or are they just kind of there?
    Would they be more popular with or without background?

I hear mumblings about them being controversial, actually. So mind you could receive some criticism for doing it, though really none of the arguments against have very sharp teeth as long as you're still drawing the whole piece from start to finish. I've never really managed to get into commissions so I couldn't compare how well they sell to a normal 'from the ground up' commission.
    Backgrounds are always a bonus, any extra effort you put in should leave all the better an impression on the browsing buyers.
    Last edited by Inq; 02-19-2013 at 03:58 AM. Reason: typo

It...sincerely matters on how popular you are...and the characters your choosing to take part in it.

Agreeing with what the above said-- It can be controversial. Why? Because people like to get anal about how others spend their money when the YCH gets past a certain point. But-- It won't grow if you don't feed it (the drama side of it, I mean.)

Preposes seem to be getting very popular recently. I guess all that matters is; there's a demand for it, so give it a shot if you want. Though Spiked is right in that I bet it works better for more popular artists.

From what I can tell, it really heavily depends if you're a popular artist, your characters (or the ones involved) are the latest sensational trend to the audience, or in the very least have the technical skill to pull it off. I'm pretty sure part of the appeal is having something you personally created be involved closely with something of the artist's own personal ideas and characters. And the more people get involved with a specific YCH thing, the more attention it builds up until the final product is produced, so more people are willing to shell out more money just to be the shining bird on the top of the pile.

Weasyl
    serbus
    I see it around everywhere, but I'm not even sure what YCH stands for. I just judge by how skilled an artist is, or how confident/fast/professional. I don't care really about pose or subject matter or even if there are other characters. As long as my girl looks good doing it. ^^

Every time I see YCH I think "yick" as in gross, ew, bleh. XD
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

I also sell art, feel free to contact me for a quote!

Wow, thank you all for the feedback! I might give it a go with one image, but from what I'm getting it may not go well since I'm not a popular artist. Rather, I'm new to getting my art out. XD; I'm still not 100% sure how to even get attention on my work.

Thank you all for the time you spent in replying. c:

I see a lot of very successful YCHs. I only have 200 watchers on FA (which is less than half than what I have on DA), but when I did my very first YCH I got about $50 for it (two characters, NO BACKGROUND). I've never done a couple picture before, so it was a test.

Ever since then I've had an average of $50 a piece for a couple picture ($25-$30 a character), which blew my mind. I'm not that popular on FA, so I don't think it's really by how popular you are, because I've seen others with WAY more watchers get only $15 a piece. Not to mention all my YCH auctions have been bidded on, so I haven't had a failure one yet.

You'll just have to test it and see!
    Last edited by quicktalon; 02-19-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Weasyl
    RogueSareth
    Quote Originally Posted by serbus View Post
    I see it around everywhere, but I'm not even sure what YCH stands for. I just judge by how skilled an artist is, or how confident/fast/professional. I don't care really about pose or subject matter or even if there are other characters. As long as my girl looks good doing it. ^^

Every time I see YCH I think "yick" as in gross, ew, bleh. XD
    YHC is Your Character Here

My sister-in-law just sold one for about 27, so I think they're a pretty good way to get some quick money.

Weasyl
    Aakosir
    I think it is a good way to advertise, honestly. As long as you are not spamming the users with a post every hour, you should be fine. I repost mine about every two days and have gotten a few more watchers in the process.

A lot of people think they are just slapped together pieces of low quality, which is not true in most cases. I really do not understand why people feel the need to be offended by them.