Weasyl
    Aakosir

Texturized Backgrounds Help

I use Corel Painter Essentials 4 and have yet to find a way to create a good texture on a background. Are there any tutorials out there? Or free images? I asked an artist who does them regularly and got "I use the premade ones or make them myself".... Thank you.... It's not like it's a huge secret because I've seen premade ones out there! I just can't find ones that work for my program.

Weasyl
    serbus
    I can't really tell you specifics because I don't have experience with Corel Painter, but if you're having troubles with brushes you may want to try using a photo texture set to multiply (or overlay) instead. Then just go over it with a medium hard brush (should come standard with your program) at 10-50% opacity to make it work more seamless with the rest of the piece. My sister uses Corel Painter, but I'm not sure if she's ever used anything other than the default brushes.
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

I also sell art, feel free to contact me for a quote!

Weasyl
    Shad-Wolf
    To use photo textures you need to first to set it above the layer you want to use it on.

How I would usually do it in Photoshop Elements is I would open the image you're gonna use drag the layer over to what you're working on, you can just simply Select All then Copy, then go over to the piece you're working on paste it into a new layer.

Open texture Copy texture Paste onto new layer

Drag the texture above the working layer you want it on, change filter to Overlay. Then drop the opacity a bit till you get something that you like and that's it really.
    Last edited by ShadWolf; 02-23-2013 at 06:43 AM.

Weasyl
    Kanagrooboy
    If you're looking for good textures in decent resolution, I highly recommend looking through cgtextures. You'll need to sign up for an account (you're allotted 15MB per day, but this is simply for the purpose of stopping mass downloads crashing their servers, it's all free) to download images, but it's a big collection.

But the best advice has already been said as far as using overlays and such. If it's textured brushes, then if Corel is like Photoshop, you should be able to make a black on white image in the texture desired, then define it as a brush. Regardless, just remember to use plenty of contrast in your texture use. Use too much midtone (in terms of value, the middle grays) then your texture will appear too flat. Get those dark and light values in where it counts, because an exaggerated contrast will still look better than just some flat implication of texture.
    Last edited by Kanagrooboy; 02-23-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Weasyl
    Aakosir
    Quote Originally Posted by serbus View Post
    I can't really tell you specifics because I don't have experience with Corel Painter, but if you're having troubles with brushes you may want to try using a photo texture set to multiply (or overlay) instead. Then just go over it with a medium hard brush (should come standard with your program) at 10-50% opacity to make it work more seamless with the rest of the piece. My sister uses Corel Painter, but I'm not sure if she's ever used anything other than the default brushes.
    Photo texture set? I understand how to do the rest, but where would I find those? I've looked through default items in my program and haven't found anything that might be them. I do have an Apply Surface Texture, but it's only one type of texture.

Kangarooboy, Thank you for that link. I will try it out and see if I can get something to work for me.

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    The best source of textures is scanning/photographing them yourself, but I love to search DA's resource section. There are a ton of textures people make available for download there.

I usually put a texture layer over my whole document, then change the layer's blending mode. That way it applies to the whole image and not just the background and there's no messing around with surface textures.

Weasyl
    serbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Aakosir View Post
    Photo texture set? I understand how to do the rest, but where would I find those? I've looked through default items in my program and haven't found anything that might be them. I do have an Apply Surface Texture, but it's only one type of texture.

Kangarooboy, Thank you for that link. I will try it out and see if I can get something to work for me.
    Photo textures are just images that you import (copy/paste), there's nothing you need to do on your program beside setting the layer's blending mode. To find textures you can go to CG textures, or you can find free textures on DeviantArt in the resources section. If you still can't find the texture you're looking for you can take your own photo. I keep a camera around with me and whenever I find something that's got a cool look to it I always take a picture for future reference. Plus if you take the photo yourself you don't have to worry about copyright issues. Its good to keep a library of stock images. I think my current library is near 7,000 images right now. Probably smaller than it should be, but anything I can't find in the library I can usually find on DA.
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

I also sell art, feel free to contact me for a quote!

Weasyl
    WhiteFox1618
    I find Wikimedia Commons is a nice source for reference images, if you don't mind doing a little digging.

I'm gonna have to spend a few days going through CGTextures, tho... If they send out a search party, tell 'em that's where I disappeared to.