Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    RogueSareth

Thoughts on otherkin and therians.

So, based on my observations, there are usually three reactions to otherkin and therians in the furry community; 1. disdain and sometimes outright mockery/hatred 2. ambivilance or 3. acceptance and/or you are one.

So I figured I would bring up the discussion here, just to see what you all think ( yes I know otherkin and furries=/= not the same, but theres enough similar interests and member overlap that I find the subject appropriate to bring up. also, the furry lifestylers who believe their fursonas to be representations of their spiritual selves)

For those who don't know what otherkin are;

Otherkin are people who are or feel/believe themselves to be, in one way or another, nonhuman. This can be a spiritual belief, typically involving reincarnation and the possibility that we were something not human in a past life. This life left a strong enough impression on the spirit/soul that those feelings/memories followed us into this human life.

others think it may be psychological, possibly based in some kind of traumatic event or just odd development.

Despite identifying with something nonhuman we are fully aware that we are currently/physically human and must live human lives and abide by the laws of human society.

So, in conclusion, otherkin is a personal belief about ones self that may either be spiritual or psychological.

Therians are people who specifically ID as earthly animals ( wolves, foxes, dolphins ect)

Weasyl
    Aakosir
    The only place that I have encountered any mockery has been on therian sites. Which is why I stick to just furry sites. I haven't had any furry say anything negative to me about my being therian.

Weasyl
    RogueSareth
    Quote Originally Posted by Aakosir View Post
    The only place that I have encountered any mockery has been on therian sites. Which is why I stick to just furry sites. I haven't had any furry say anything negative to me about my being therian.
    Good to hear.
    I had a rather...unpleasant conversation with people on the FA forums concerning therianthropy and otherkin, which is what prompted this post ( for the record, I am Otherkin myself, though my kintype is humonoid with some feline influences)

Weasyl
    Tango
    Personally I could care less but if you come up to me claiming to be a half vampire/half fairy/half Hungarian Time Lord I'm just going to nod my head, say 'Cool story, bro' and be on my way. Before you roll your eyes I've had an otherkin tell me that minus the Time Lord part.

All it means is that people in general are weird.

Sanita

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSareth View Post
    Good to hear.
    I had a rather...unpleasant conversation with people on the FA forums concerning therianthropy and otherkin, which is what prompted this post ( for the record, I am Otherkin myself, though my kintype is humonoid with some feline influences)
    Ah, that will happen there. Here we seem to be a little more considerate.
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

Weasyl
    N/A
    They're all delusional. Those beliefs are so ridiculous there is no reason to take them seriously. They are unsupported by evidence and are contrary to all understanding of the world. It's really no different to someone saying a glass of Coke tells them what to wear each morning.
    "If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
    ~John Stuart Mill~

Furry News: http://www.flayrah.com/

Weasyl
    RogueSareth
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanita View Post
    Personally I could care less but if you come up to me claiming to be a half vampire/half fairy/half Hungarian Time Lord I'm just going to nod my head, say 'Cool story, bro' and be on my way. Before you roll your eyes I've had an otherkin tell me that minus the Time Lord part.

All it means is that people in general are weird.

Sanita

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, that will happen there. Here we seem to be a little more considerate.
    I've seen the Time Lord on tumblr.

And yeah, unfortunately, much like any community, the otherkin and therian community has its share of unstables, trolls and attention whores.

And yes, I've found the forums here MUCH nicer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rakuen Growlithe View Post
    They're all delusional. Those beliefs are so ridiculous there is no reason to take them seriously. They are unsupported by evidence and are contrary to all understanding of the world. It's really no different to someone saying a glass of Coke tells them what to wear each morning.
    You could also say the same of any belief. Do you feel the same way, about, say Christianity, or Hinduism or paganism? Or is it just this one belief that you disagree with? How do you feel about the beliefs otherkin/therianthropy is based around ( reincarnation, totemism, animal spirit/human bond ect) that date back thousands and thousands of years?
    Last edited by RogueSareth; 02-20-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSareth View Post
    You could also say the same of any belief. Do you feel the same way, about, say Christianity, or Hinduism or paganism? Or is it just this one belief that you disagree with? How do you feel about the beliefs otherkin/therianthropy is based around ( reincarnation, totemism, animal spirit/human bond ect) that date back thousands and thousands of years?
    I do. I feel same the same about all religions, all matters of spirituality, acupuncture, faith healing, spirits, souls, homeopathy, reiki etc. None of it actually works. We know this because the alternative medicines have been put through clinical trials and theology has proven incapable of converging on any sort of spiritual truth. Even within the same religion they can't agree. When there is a real truth then everyone finds the same truth. Medicine works regardless of whether you believe it or not and no matter what your race or religion. The same goes for the laws of motions, gravity and all other science. Just because a belief is old has no bearing on it's validity. In fact knowing how little people knew about the world thousands of years ago I'd be very very cautious about accepting anything that was thousands of years old. No one would consider using a computer or surgery that was 50 years old, never mind 1000.
    "If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
    ~John Stuart Mill~

Furry News: http://www.flayrah.com/

People don't tend to take it seriously simply because of unsupported information or evidence to verify your claim. Its just a feeling people tend to have. Back on Tumblr, there was seriously a person who not believed that he was a troll, but the actual Karkat Vantas from another universe, and made this proposition that Andrew Hussie must have some insight to this other dimension where he is basing his writing from actual events.

Now, I'm not going through the whole song and dance of agreeing/disagreeing, because that's opening a whole 'nuther can of worms. Just as religion, sexuality and gender identity are sensitive subjects because they are deeply-vested personal beliefs, attempting to discuss the possibility of otherkind is inviting more incredulity than support. And comments like:

I guess the basic gist is that if its not bothering anyone or yourself, then you're within rights to believe what you like. I'd personally find it interesting just to hear the story about how you discovered yourself in that way.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    I do. I feel same the same about all religions, all matters of spirituality, acupuncture, faith healing, spirits, souls, homeopathy, reiki etc. None of it actually works. We know this because the alternative medicines have been put through clinical trials and theology has proven incapable of converging on any sort of spiritual truth. Even within the same religion they can't agree. When there is a real truth then everyone finds the same truth. Medicine works regardless of whether you believe it or not and no matter what your race or religion. The same goes for the laws of motions, gravity and all other science. Just because a belief is old has no bearing on it's validity. In fact knowing how little people knew about the world thousands of years ago I'd be very very cautious about accepting anything that was thousands of years old. No one would consider using a computer or surgery that was 50 years old, never mind 1000.
    I don't think it's very fair to try and use science to overpower someone's personal beliefs. Who are we to say that someone's deep thoughts and feelings are invalid? There are a lot of people who cling to their beliefs dearly and it gives them hope, peace, and helps keep them mentally, emotionally, and maybe even physically strong. As amazing as today's science is, everyone is still entitled to what they believe and how they live by it, regardless of proof of the existence of what they believe in. We might see each other as "crazy" or 'wrong" but I don't feel it's right to straight up tell someone that scientifically everything they believe is just an impossible fantasy.

I identify as a trans-hydro-astro-nuclearsexual poly-mono-gamist Mr. Potato Head with a Ph. D.

Chek ur privilege cis scum