Weasyl
    kuto

tips to get more views on weasyl?

i've been on the site for quite a bit and for whatever reason im still only about 10 or so watchers. im not an amateur for the most part. i've got this feeling im doing something wrong. I wanted to ask if there's anything that could help getting more people to look at my art on this growing site. here's an example of my art https://www.weasyl.com/submission/162077

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Weasyl
    Fayv
    I think you need to remember that Weasyl is still comparatively small. we haven't been around that often and there's still some low traffic.
    despite that I think just taking part in art things on the forums, commenting on other people's stuff and generally advertising yourself is what brings in watchers no matter the site you're on.

Weasyl
    kuto
    thanks for the advice. are there any particular art forum threads you recommend to me that would help with skills and such?

Weasyl
    Soreiya
    I think commenting on other people's art is your best bet. Not many people comment so you're likely to get more attention for doing so. You can also try advertising your page on other websites that you frequent.

I feel your pain, Kuto, and the fact that I'm a musician, as opposed to a visual artist, does not help my case at all. Even when I comment, few people respond, let alone check out my own work. Worst part is, the other people who responded so far are absolutely right when it comes to getting the recognition you deserve; you have to work 24/7 on networking just to get people to notice you.

The main point is whatever promotional tools you decide to use you must keep up with them, even if you're discouraged at your lack of popularity at the moment. I've seen a lot of now popular artists who once upon a time had to claw their way up from obscurity. Keep practicing and promoting.

Everyone's still scrambling over from FA and getting settled in.
    Give it some time. Like a year? Counting from went it went into open-beta...for it to start being regular. xD I guess...

That and....Weasyl hasn't...implemented the advertisement thingy yet?? So You can't just cheat like I did and buy a banner to get some new watchers just yet. (Anyone have any word for when this happens???)

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #8

Weasyl
    Morphology
    Outside of FA and Weasyl, here's a few tips I found which help me out a bit:
    -Go to cons and events; furry cons, anime cons, scifi cons - a key way to help out with your publicity is to go to fandom events. You meet people and you start gathering watchers.
    -Do fanart occasionally. Now this can be a double-edged sword, as sometimes folks will follow you just for your fanart, and your personal pics will not get as much attention, but you have a great chance of scooping up long-time followers. Do you like something popular? Do some fanart for it occasionally.
    -Enter contests, art zines, group things like that.

Like everyone else says, be social. Let people know you're there, though if you start spamming other people's journals and such with URLs, that is a good way to get a lot of people really annoyed at you.
    Something that always seems to get overlooked in these discussions is the art itself. Once you've persuaded people to go to your site, is it worth the trip? Are they going to shrug, or are they going to be passing around links telling their friend how they have to see this? Quality is certainly a factor, and with an increasing flood of talented artists competing for attention, "good enough' should never be a part of your vocabulary. There is the tired old mantra that "Sex sells', but people enjoy a good laugh too, Humorous work gets a lot of attention, and people respond well to a picture that tells some kind of story. People want art that makes them feel something, and there's more than one way to do that.