Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    smarticus
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFox1618 View Post
    It's true: I've screwed up a lot of inks in my time... it's not like I loose any blood, or get a demerit on my Artistic License (You need a Class-5 for dip pens). All fear does is make my wrist shaky... screw that noise.
    Are you joking or is an artistic license a real thing somewhere in the someplace.

Weasyl
    WhiteFox1618
    Oh, I'm totally kidding. :3

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFox1618 View Post
    Next week, everyone brings in their pieces. The professor says, "Good," and starts handing out razor-blade box-cutters. "Now destroy them."

"But we worked really hard on these!" decried the class in general, amidst much lamenting and wailing.

"So what?" Says the professor. "You've made paintings before, you'll make them again. You can't get too precious about your work, or you'll be too afraid of messing something up to work on anything at all. It's just one painting, it's not the end of your whole career. You're bound to wreck a few paintings in your time, and it's nothing to be afraid of. So: take these box-cutters, destroy these paintings, and never be afraid of destroying anything ever again."
    Got to disagree there, examining that old work, criticizing and studying it again and again over time could have been far more useful than that Disney life-lesson nonsense. Knowledge tossed is ignorance defined.
    Last edited by Inq; 02-25-2013 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Typo.

Weasyl
    WhiteFox1618
    Quote Originally Posted by Inq View Post
    Got to disagree there, examining that old work, criticizing and studying it again and again over time could have been far more useful than that Disney life-lesson nonsense. Knowledge tossed is ignorance defined.
    That's a completely different matter, the point had nothing to do with looking back. And certainly not suggesting that one destroy everything they create, or to make a regular practice of it.

The point of the box cutters was to show that destroying a piece work isn't the end of the world. Compared to something that, making a slight mistake with a pen or brush doesn't seem like such a big deal.

It's important to learn from your mistakes, but you can't be afraid of making them. Gotta learn somehow. Even when you're good enough that you don't usually make mistakes that destroy something completely, you have to be willing to experiment and explore. Which usually entails a willingness to do something even if you don't know whether or not it'll go how you expect it to.

Checked out your gallery, by the way... love your work.
    Last edited by WhiteFox1618; 02-25-2013 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Rewording for clarity.

Weasyl
    RogueSareth
    I love doodling and drawing in bic pen. I also have a set of awesome bic markers I use, but you can get some really nice valuse with a regular bic pen.

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    I looooove drawing with ball point pens. They're so expressive! It kinda forces you to loosen up in a way that digital or mechanical pencil would never be able to and it has the ability to coax out your natural style. I don't really care about messing up when making pen doodles in my sketchbook, so there's no pressure. It's super relaxing.

Weasyl
    Hlavco
    Middle and high school were where I really got into doodling, and all I had to work with were Bic pens. It really influenced my art style... since it was permanent I couldn't do all those circles and underlying figures and things all the real artists use to plan out their drawings before polishing them up, I had to figure out a style that made it easy to do the drawing all in one go. As a result my characters ended up with features like huge eyes because I would draw them first and use them to plan out the rest of the head.

Now I mostly use pencils when I can, or just make things on the computer, but it still took me a long time to get that whole "planning" thing down. And though they've gotten a bit smaller over time, my characters still have very large eyes. It's kinda like... because I did all my practicing in a school classroom with no references to go off of, my art style was more influenced by what I was working with than by the work of other artists.

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    For years I thought ballpoints were trifling pieces of media; I wrote them off like Crayola crayons. Not worth the effort. Sometime last year though I started doodling more and more with them and found that the way they responded with specific pressure very similar to my trusty graphite, I got to thinking about using them more and more. I did a very involved piece months ago with nothing but two old ballpoints and save for the disappointment of using too-thin paper, I was ecstatic on how much fun I was having and how intuitive they were. And this is coming from someone who also loves the painstaking inking of pigment liners and India ink.

I got some better pens later on and now I can honestly say drawing in biro is one of my favorite media to use. Exactly what Bri Mercedes said above me; it's free, loose and very relaxing.

I love drawing in pens. :3

I have a lot of trouble drawing on rough paper if I'm using any kind of pencil (I can pretty much only end up with a good sketch on copy paper with a HB pencil or a coloured pencil) but I love how easy it is to draw with pen.

Weasyl
    Kanagrooboy
    Love ballpoint drawing. There's just a certain freedom to it I love, having no fear of mistakes, mistakes that I might even like and incorporate them into my methods and style. Even better is drawing with a ballpoint on a piece of white copy paper with some padding underneath. The pen glides on it like butter.