Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    serbus

Anyone into Pen art?

I'm not talking about markers or professional pens, more about Bic pens and the like. I've really been getting into doing my drawings with pens lately and I was wondering how many other people enjoy the art? I've noticed that before when I was never sure about my drawing or my form that pen art was just too daunting for me. However, now that I have a decent amount of experience drawing I really like pen art because it forces you to accept whatever line comes out and just make that part of the art.

What are your opinions on pen art?
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

I also sell art, feel free to contact me for a quote!

Ballpoints are unfortunately underestimated, there's a lot of amazing work out there already that showcases the delicate detail and excellent rendering that can be done with a single pen.
    Writing with them every day I think most people don't really notice that they can be used to make fine photo-realistic detail just like any other tool.

Weasyl
    smarticus
    I friggin love pens. I got 2 tones in ballpoint, some finepoints, and microns. Plan on some caligrapgic pens soon.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    The only time I do much pen work is when doing pointillism. But I looove it, and when it comes to traditional art pen and ink is probably my favorite, but I also immensely love just doing graphite pencil work, too.

Weasyl
    WhiteFox1618
    During my brief stint at art college, I got an assignment: On an A2 size piece of paper, do a drawing with a brand new ballpoint pen.

Without lifting the pen off the page, until the pen was completely dry.

After I don't remember how many hours and one very cramped hand, I was pretty well scarred for life. To this very day, I can't even write with one without lapsing into painful flashbacks.

Currently, I use dip pens and India ink... there's no other black line quite like it.

Weasyl
    Chaosthief
    I absolutely love to draw with ballpoint pens, I mostly used to draw with those in school during maths class. (good for my art, bad for my grades xD)

When it comes to traditional art I prefer to work in only one colour and concentrate more on the shading and bic pens are great for crosshatching. The only thing that annoys me is how hard it is to find ballpoint pens in other colours than red, black and blue.
    Where I live nobody cares about those pens, not even good art supply stores
    I'd really like to try drawing something photorealistic whit a ballpoint pen like Samuel Silva does, but first I have to find a few more colours.

Ink intimidates me, but I've seen many, many beautiful pen and ink illustrations. I'm reminded of sketches by the great masters or book illustrations from the last century, for example.

I really enjoy sketching in biros, much better than pencil anyway. It seems a lot smoother on the page for me.

Weasyl
    serbus
    @Whitefox: I've never heard of anyone traumatized by a ballpoint pen before. Ink doesn't run out very fast; that's such a crazy assignment.

@Chaosthief: I didn't know Samuel Siva used ballpoint, that's pretty cool. The thing that annoys me about ballpoint is that they bleed if you use markers or watercolours with them too soon after sketching. Also the crappy ones have a tendency to drop too much ink one moment and not enough the next. XD

@Tigercougar: They intimidate me too, but as I work with them more and more I'm less nervous picking up a pen. Even still there are times when I pick up the pen and think "I don't know what I want to draw and I don't want to accidentally draw crap". That's when I put the pen back down and grab my pencil. XD
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

I also sell art, feel free to contact me for a quote!

Weasyl
    WhiteFox1618
    Quote Originally Posted by serbus View Post
    @Whitefox: I've never heard of anyone traumatized by a ballpoint pen before. Ink doesn't run out very fast; that's such a crazy assignment.
    The ink washes out, but the memories never fade.

When I said "hours," I wasn't exaggerating. The point of the exercise is to get you moving faster and looser, while pushing for more details than you normally would. By the end, though, you start looking for large areas to fill with dead black because you've already drawn everything twice over. X3

The thing that annoys me about ballpoint is that they bleed if you use markers or watercolours with them too soon after sketching. Also the crappy ones have a tendency to drop too much ink one moment and not enough the next. XD
    This is one of the reasons I really like dip pens, actually: reliability. Most nibs will last forever, as long as the tines don't get bent (there are fine nibs that don't stand up to much abuse, and dropping even a stainless steel nib on a hard floor can wreck it).

Aside from that, once you learn how to use them, they do exactly what you tell them to do. They take a while to learn, since they have a lot of quirks, but I think all the time and effort I've put into them has been totally worth it.

@Tigercougar: They intimidate me too, but as I work with them more and more I'm less nervous picking up a pen. Even still there are times when I pick up the pen and think "I don't know what I want to draw and I don't want to accidentally draw crap". That's when I put the pen back down and grab my pencil. XD
    Whee, another story from college... I heard this one from a TA who endured it.

A professor gives everyone an assignment: Spend seven hours on a painting, your choice of media and subject.

Next week, everyone brings in their pieces. The professor says, "Good," and starts handing out razor-blade box-cutters. "Now destroy them."

"But we worked really hard on these!" decried the class in general, amidst much lamenting and wailing.

"So what?" Says the professor. "You've made paintings before, you'll make them again. You can't get too precious about your work, or you'll be too afraid of messing something up to work on anything at all. It's just one painting, it's not the end of your whole career. You're bound to wreck a few paintings in your time, and it's nothing to be afraid of. So: take these box-cutters, destroy these paintings, and never be afraid of destroying anything ever again."

It's true: I've screwed up a lot of inks in my time... it's not like I loose any blood, or get a demerit on my Artistic License (You need a Class-5 for dip pens). All fear does is make my wrist shaky... screw that noise.