Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Booze Thread!

Weasyl
    Zura
    Oooh so many new things to try in this thread!
    Personally not much of a beer drinker - never really found one I like the taste of enough to drink more than one.
    I used to go for Mike's Hard Lemonade or Smirnoff Twisted if I couldn't get mixed drinks. I absolutely love Midori, though. A good Midori Sour is my favorite drink, but since both Midori and Sweet & Sour mix are endangered or extinct species where I am, I don't get them too often. I also like Cointreau mixed with Sprite or "artisan lemonade" (fizzy).

For wines I enjoy a nice crisp Reisling. I think the best one I'd ever tasted was while on vacation - a locally produced from Vienna (Austria). Sooooo good!

Weasyl
    Tiido
    As far as beer goes I am not a fan, but one time I got some home made "honey beer" and I actually liked it.
    It tasted kinda sweet and didn't have any of the bitterness that beer normally does, that is a total win for me ^^
    ...but I have not had that one ever since (10 years the very least)...

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #173
    Weasyl
    Aden
    Quote Originally Posted by chocomage View Post
    I hear scotch has a very... acquired... taste. I hate yet to try it. What would you suggest for a first scotch?
    Do you like other whiskeys, and if so, what kinds? What are your favorite characteristics when you have brown spirits (e.g. fruitiness, spiciness, smokiness, etc.)? I hesitate to throw out a recommendation without knowing your tastes because Scotch whiskey covers quite a big area of flavors; you may hate one type and adore another

Quote Originally Posted by Batty Krueger View Post
    Jack is total crap. Just the smell of it makes me want to vomit.
    I'm all for Jack bashing, but I have to say the Single Barrel is tolerable. I certainly wouldn't turn down a glass of it if offered. I also bought my grandpa a bottle of the 'Sinatra Select', which was actually quite — dare I say it? — good!

Of course, it was not nearly good enough to justify its price, but my grandpa's a big Jack fan and I wanted to do something special
    Last edited by Aden; 03-06-2014 at 11:46 PM.

Weasyl
    chocomage
    Quote Originally Posted by Aden View Post
    Do you like other whiskeys, and if so, what kinds? What are your favorite characteristics when you have brown spirits (e.g. fruitiness, spiciness, smokiness, etc.)? I hesitate to throw out a recommendation without knowing your tastes because Scotch whiskey covers quite a big area of flavors; you may hate one type and adore another
    Well to put it simply I like booze that tastes like... well... shit... It has to have that after taste that you know you are gonna be drunk in a bit. I had black velvet toasted caramel the other day and I had to fight myself to drink it, same with red stag. I would much rather you hand me a bottle of R&R, or canadian LTD. I can't really place my finger on what the flavor it is but my preference for whiskey is maker's mark. I am pretty fond of the Chivas Regal I picked up the other day. My all time favorite hard alcohol for flavor would have to be bacardi gold.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #175
    Weasyl
    Aden
    Well to put it simply I like booze that tastes like... well... shit... It has to have that after taste that you know you are gonna be drunk in a bit. I had black velvet toasted caramel the other day and I had to fight myself to drink it, same with red stag. I would much rather you hand me a bottle of R&R, or canadian LTD. I can't really place my finger on what the flavor it is but my preference for whiskey is maker's mark. I am pretty fond of the Chivas Regal I picked up the other day. My all time favorite hard alcohol for flavor would have to be bacardi gold.
    tbh it sounds like you haven't really developed your tastes and don't quite know what you like yet and that's perfectly okay! Let's see if we can't get you started.

First off, a disclaimer: when you're talking about good whiskies, keep in mind that the end goal is flavor and experience and not so much getting drunk. Good whiskey is for sipping and smelling and slowly appreciating. The second half of your first sentence worries me a bit, and if you're just in it for the alcohol you can save a lot of money by not listening to me.

Anyway! Let's start with Chivas Regal. Chivas Regal (12, I'm assuming) is a blend, and a fairly innocuous one at that; its draws are that it's widely available, it's consistent, and it's fairly simple in flavor and easy for non-scotch-drinkers to get into. This is the kind of thing that the Johnnie Walker line is like these days and it's part of the reason said brand is so popular. You might try out Johnnie Walker Black for a similar (but slightly better) experience to Chivas Regal 12. (PS: don't waste your time with JW Red)

As for getting into the wide expanse of flavor that scotch can offer, here are some starter single-malts that represent somewhat of a cross-section of scotch's characteristics. These are widely available and shouldn't break the bank:

• Glenfiddich 12-year - Speyside. This is commonly regarded as one of the stalwart starter single-malts because it's not that complex and it's fairly inoffensive. Crisp, sweet, malty, slightly nutty. It should be easy to try this, as it's everywhere and it's cheap
    • Highland Park 12-year - island (Orkney). A bit more demanding, but once you get into it it's worth it. It's complex for its age, very rich. Sherry influence, sweet melting into dryness
    • Caol Ila 12-year - Islay. Can't make one of these lists without something peaty! Islay malts are quite polarizing. I tend to like them, but many don't. Here's where you're going to get that strong peat and smoke flavor that's characteristic of the region.

If you manage to give these a try, let me know which you like best and we can work from there. Of course, you don't have to listen to any of this. I got into scotch by trying things that are completely different from this list and it grew organically from there. One thing I will stress: try before you buy a whole bottle if you can. Go to bars, go to tastings, become friends with someone who likes it and is willing to share. Scotch seems to be, more often than not, a love-it-or-hate-it deal and I wouldn't want you to waste your money on something you're not going to drink

Weasyl
    Batty Krueger
    I always accompany my fine scotchs with a fine cigar. They compliment eachother nicely. And remember kids, you dont inhale cigars!

Weasyl
    chocomage
    Sorry for not using the quote feature-

@aden You are correct, I am very much an amateur at tasting the booze, determining what qualities it has and the works. The end of the first sentence is mainly to describe the burning after taste that most boozes have. As much as fireball tastes like an incredibly cinnamony booze it doesn't have that "shit" taste. I was simply making a point to the fact that I strongly dislike the overly sweet liquors that people nowadays call whiskies. I guess I just don't know how to judge a flavor to when I sip on a booze.

The Chivas Regal I have is the 12 yes. I did find it rather easy to drink. Most people I have talked to in person tell me that Johnnie Walker is a complete waste of money and I should avoid purchasing it.

It was a toss up between glenfiddich and chivas regal when I was at the store picking it up. I don't think I have seen the Highland Park in my area before, But the caol ila definitely sounds familiar. I will keep an eye out for both those at the bars when I make my rounds the next couple weeks.

When it comes down to it as much as I want to start drinking scotch I don't know if I'm ready to give up being a drunk asshole... Drinking is one of my few outlets for stress nowadays.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #178
    Weasyl
    Aden
    Most people I have talked to in person tell me that Johnnie Walker is a complete waste of money and I should avoid purchasing it.
    Blue is most definitely a waste of money. It's expensive and inoffensive, the perfect drink for people that buy their drinks for status and not for taste. People say Green was good, though it's been discontinued. Black tends to be reasonably-priced and wouldn't be throwing your money away, though I still personally don't like the brand as a whole.

When it comes down to it as much as I want to start drinking scotch I don't know if I'm ready to give up being a drunk asshole... Drinking is one of my few outlets for stress nowadays.
    Could always start off with a nice slow scotch and then spend the rest of the night drinking cheaper stuff. I wouldn't recommend the other way around. (Unsolicited advice warning:) Though surely there are healthier ways to relieve stress.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I've been experimenting lately with some Bombay Sapphire Gin, anyone have recommendations for other Gin brands? Not that I am not very pleased with the Bombay Sapphire, but it never hurts to branch out.

Also Batty, I've wanted to try Mead for so long (as has my Fiance). If you come to visit us again you simply must bring some, we can't find it anywhere local.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    Mead is really really good stuff ! I bought some couple days ago out of interest... and I shall be buying it again.
    I have also developed a liking to beer, and have been trying out different kinds and attempting to find one really naiss one out of them. The selection is huge...