Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Policy on "parked" no-activity accounts

As I've noticed by journals on another furry site, I'm not the only one running into this issue. Apparently, before open beta when there were invites, a number of names were taken, but then never used. I'm guessing some of these accounts were used either to send out invites, or simply an acceptance of an invitation, but with no intention of actually sticking around and using the site.

So I was wondering if there was any plans on removing abandoned accounts so that those of us who got name-ninja'd can actually use them. I mean, there's no point in there being a "Zeek" who isn't following anyone, not uploading or contributing, or basically using the site at all. And I'd really like to keep the name I've been using on FurAffinity for over six years.

Again, I've seen others in the exact same situation. It's not like someone who just happens to be known by the same name beat them to the site and is using it...the account was created once and never touched/customized afterwards.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Currently we do not revoke the usernames of inactive accounts as this is not contained in our policy. Because this question has come up with a little more frequency lately, we're looking into methods for handling situations like this without being unfair to the original account holder, but also not allowing a name to be kept from active users forever due to name-squatting.

It's important to note that we can easily rename existing accounts, so there is no need for an account to be entirely removed in order make way for another account to adopt its name; this is a point we are taking into consideration in our discussions.

Weasyl
    Minka
    So.. There can be two accounts with the same name?

Weasyl
    seinkraft
    Nope. He says that username1 can be changed to username12 so username2 can get the name username1.

So you could change your name on the sistem without loose all the information related to it aparently because the system its managed on base of ids instead of usernames.

My guess!

Yeah, the name changing thing would work better than completely removing accounts.

I would just like to make the point that there's a difference between accounts that are inactive and accounts that were never used to begin with. I think that's where the line could be drawn. Someone who has an avatar uploaded and a few friends might eventually come back to that account, but if someone has done absolutely nothing with their account and has been gone long enough, it's not like they will care or even notice if the name is changed.

Weasyl
    seinkraft
    Personally I would not like to get my account removed if I'm not using for "now", and surelly you wouldn't like that eighter.

Somethimes you've to stand in the other side. Maybe that user has the same issue with you name on FA and ended with "Zeek1" as username and now it had the chance to have its username.

Weasyl
    Dark
    Quote Originally Posted by Kihari View Post
    It's important to note that we can easily rename existing accounts.
    OH

MY GOD

FA TAKE NOTE; A SITE WITH NICKNAME-BASED URL REWRITES HAS IMPLEMENTED NAME CHANGES.

(never mind that it's also possible on every web site I run as link rot issues aren't an excuse if you also have a user ID system in place under the hood.)

Quote Originally Posted by seinkraft View Post
    Personally I would not like to get my account removed if I'm not using for "now", and surelly you wouldn't like that eighter.

Somethimes you've to stand in the other side. Maybe that user has the same issue with you name on FA and ended with "Zeek1" as username and now it had the chance to have its username.
    Well yeah, I've seen that where someone who is -Username-20 on FA signed up and is now just -Username- on Weasyl. That's fine. But at least they took the time to upload an avatar and some of their existing artwork over there, also known as using the account.

However, in my case, there's nobody on the account at all. It's not like I could message them and be like, "Hey man, I'm sure you didn't mean to, but you snatched my FA name. Could I please have it back?" And I certainly wouldn't go trying to start something and have the admins intervene if they refused. (I honestly probably wouldn't even ask in the first place, really.) After all, it's not like I'm some famous artist with a unique name where it's clearly an impersonation case. There are a handful of Zeeks on FA.

And to be fair, I don't mind if any of my completely unused accounts were removed. If I sign up for a site and never post, never upload, and never visit the site again, I wouldn't know or care if my blank account got wiped and I had to re-register.

Removing/retiring completely unused accounts may not be a bad idea, but I think it's too soon to do it to any existing accounts. Reasons include:

- People maintaining accounts on multiple sites already, and waiting to see "what happens" with Weasyl before investing too much time in it (I know a couple of artists that are doing exactly this, although they did at least put an avatar and a "I'm not here yet, I'm still there" disclaimer; but not everyone may do this).
    - Sudden life change that required them to step away from site/Internet for a while (I just experienced this personally).
    - Death in family/self causing account to be inactive for extended time or permanently.

And of course there's the more nefarious
    - name squatting
    - impersonating someone else
    - harassment of PersonA by registering account in their name and causing random mischief

As I mentioned, I think the site is too new to start handing dormant accounts over now. But at some point, all of the above circumstances will come up as time goes on and the user base increases. So it's probably best for the staff to think about the best way to handle the situations for when they do come up. Unfortunately I don't have a good suggestion on how to handle it, the only advice I can offer is 'be fair and understanding to all involved.'

Weasyl
    Minka
    I think if they can change the name of the 'zeek' account to 'zeek1' and can change you to 'zeek', that would be perfect.

On a similar note, I am SO glad Weasyl doesn't allow users to create separate accounts for different types of artwork. I was getting SO tired of people with 5 accounts: one as their main, one for their fursona, one for commissions, one for adoptables, one for their fursuit.. UGH.
    Last edited by Minka; 02-20-2013 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Adding more