Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Premium User Twitch Cattz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    22

    Clicking on 'more random art' just goes to the same submissions as browse.

    Clicking on the front page button 'More random art' isn't displaying random art, it goes to the same results as clicking the 'Browse everything' button

  2. #2

    Fix "Random Art" on the front page please

    There are specific "Random" sections on the front page for Literature, Multimedia, etc, but the random "Art" is a mix of everything (First one I see right now is music, second one is a story). No way to see exclusively random visual art despite the implication that there is.

    Or, if that's intended to be mixed, make a better set of options.

    This is supposed to be a beta release (Public beta even!), not an alpha release. You're making my professional QA senses tingle so hard I ended up lighting a 100W bulb just by being within five feet of it.

  3. #3
    The Chocoholic Vulpine SuburbanFox's Avatar

    Weasyl
    SuburbanFox
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    29
    I pointed out something similar during the closed beta:

    http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/s...to-search-page

    Maybe Kihari's reply in that thread will be of interest to you?

  4. #4
    Muahahahaha! They attached my completely different bug on the same feature to this thread. XD

    They REALLY should be in closed alpha at this rate and their project managers seem to lack a grasp on reality at times. Considering how much income they have from contributors, there is no excuse for this kind of stuff.

  5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    Retired Staff catalepsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    ::1
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by KitFox View Post
    noise elided
    Did you have a constructive comment, or are you just venting?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by catalepsy View Post
    Did you have a constructive comment, or are you just venting?
    With experience as a professional web QA engineer,, project management, and coding, mine is a mix of constructive input posted poorly and venting of frustrations, however I am not paid to QA your site. Professionally working with frustrated customers who are venting is critical. The mishandling of certain things is honestly driving me quite nuts in many cases. That being said, I will offer constructive items in a more constructive manner in this thread.

    Observations:
    - The post of mine, currently number two in this thread, is an unrelated issue to the OP in this thread. As such, for proper bug tracking, it should likely have its own thread.
    - One report per thread, whether it be an actual bug or a suggestion. Split out items that are unrelated when possible or, if the OP contains a massive list of items, request that the OPer re-submit with things. This will create more threads, but also make it much easier to track issues and find issues prior to reporting them.
    - Don't be afraid to re-title threads to make the nature of the issue more clear.
    - Given the number of problems that could and should have been detected by a simple smoke test or basic acceptance test of the site, the code does not look beta-ready by the true definition. As people find these basic smoke failures, it creates a bad impression. "Beta" means "We fixed all the bugs we found internally and now we need to expose it to a large set of eyes and cases || we cannot develop critical XYZ code until we have it under more realistic load", though the latter should be handled by appropriate load testing.
    - Numerous choices made for the site indicate sub-optimal "project management" (I put that in quotes because I do not know if there is centralized project management or whether the bad choices were made by, for example, a coder with a cool toy script). Learning from the purpose behind things historically shown is an excellent thing and it's not being done in many cases here, to the point where a good deal of base infrastructure has unacceptable flaws that other sites repaired publicly or avoided years ago.

    The site is handling a good amount of money, is trying to acquire patronage, and is trying to be successful. I'm seeing so many missteps that I want to rip my hair out sometimes, and I'm already going bald naturally, so that is not good.

  7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
    Retired Staff catalepsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    ::1
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by KitFox View Post
    - The post of mine, currently number two in this thread, is an unrelated issue to the OP in this thread. As such, for proper bug tracking, it should likely have its own thread.
    This thread is about the random function being broken. I don't think it's ever actually worked (the closed beta was rushed for political reasons and we would be in a much better state had that not happened), so multiple threads about how much it doesn't work are not too helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by KitFox View Post
    - One report per thread, whether it be an actual bug or a suggestion. Split out items that are unrelated when possible or, if the OP contains a massive list of items, request that the OPer re-submit with things. This will create more threads, but also make it much easier to track issues and find issues prior to reporting them.
    - Don't be afraid to re-title threads to make the nature of the issue more clear.
    These are both already done as necessary. A forum isn't an ideal place for bug reports, though; I'm putting some effort towards getting mailing lists running. We have an internal bug tracker, as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by KitFox View Post
    - Given the number of problems that could and should have been detected by a simple smoke test or basic acceptance test of the site, the code does not look beta-ready by the true definition. As people find these basic smoke failures, it creates a bad impression. "Beta" means "We fixed all the bugs we found internally and now we need to expose it to a large set of eyes and cases || we cannot develop critical XYZ code until we have it under more realistic load", though the latter should be handled by appropriate load testing.
    - Numerous choices made for the site indicate sub-optimal "project management" (I put that in quotes because I do not know if there is centralized project management or whether the bad choices were made by, for example, a coder with a cool toy script). Learning from the purpose behind things historically shown is an excellent thing and it's not being done in many cases here, to the point where a good deal of base infrastructure has unacceptable flaws that other sites repaired publicly or avoided years ago.
    I understand that you're frustrated by the broken random feature, but so far this is the only concrete thing you've pointed out. Keep in mind the small scale of the organization here, and also note that the technical staff is all volunteer, with professional day jobs. Right now, missing features like the Random function are less important than some backend issues we're working on. If you'd like to offer your assistance as QA (code review, maybe? Our stack is Python+Twisted+PostgreSQL), I'd be glad to discuss specifics in a more immediate fashion (IRC, preferably).

    Quote Originally Posted by KitFox View Post
    The site is handling a good amount of money, is trying to acquire patronage, and is trying to be successful. I'm seeing so many missteps that I want to rip my hair out sometimes, and I'm already going bald naturally, so that is not good.
    I'm not involved with the financial aspects of the site, so I'll have to take your claims about this matter with a grain of salt. Finally, please don't stress yourself out on my behalf; as you note, it's not good.
    Last edited by catalepsy; 02-17-2013 at 08:08 PM.

  8. #8
    Politics. *Twitch* *Sigh*

    Broken features should probably be pulled. An evaluation of whether it provides any use in the broken state that is not better provided elsewhere is done (It shows browse data, which Browse does), then pull it until it works properly.

    Frustrated by the broken random feature, yes. Also problematic:
    - Thumbnails and the thumbnail generator (See http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/s...ystem-failures )
    - Lack of useful information on contact sheet pages
    - The site is very unfriendly to literary authors last I checked
    - Unicode issues with literature and demanding specific formats from the user without handling errors gracefully - not user friendly
    - Lack of full image view in context

    As a viewer and a writer, those items alone are enough that I dismissed the site as "Needs to get their act together" and moved on without digging more deeply. When I saw a situation of it being presented as a "Beta" but actually being in an alpha state, I had no interest in giving feedback on OBIO (Obvious Bug Is Obvious) and smoke failure items. If the site developers and operators relied on beta testing for issue reports when things didn't even pass smoke testing, the site was doomed to fail and not worth providing beta feedback to. If they knew about them already and released anyway, there's no reason to provide beta feedback about an already-known issue. So with things not holding smoke, there was no purpose in feeding back concrete items.

    I contacted you via PM re IRC/IM.

  9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by KitFox View Post
    - Unicode issues with literature and demanding specific formats from the user without handling errors gracefully - not user friendly
    I just want to clarify that these are two separate issues. we don't have unicode issues with literature because we're strict about what we accept.

    anyway, catalepsy and I have hashed out some thoughts about graceful failure for literature uploads, but let's keep that discussion in the appropriate thread. this has gone wildly offtopic, and I suggest you open a thread in site discussion if you're still needing to vent. the site support forum is not an appropriate venue.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by weykent View Post
    this has gone wildly offtopic, and I suggest you open a thread in site discussion if you're still needing to vent. the site support forum is not an appropriate venue.
    Ironic that my original message was in the Site Discussion forum before it was moved here. *Sigh* Point taken however. BTW, Python is case sensitive and it's polite as a user of English to show courtesy and professionalism to your target audience by doing things such as capitalizing the first letter of sentences consistently.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •