Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Story UTF-8 problems.

I too am having an issue uploading stories. I believe I have correctly changed it to UTF-8, but it still isn't letting me upload. I'm very ignorant with this kind of stuff, so I thought I would just let you know.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryTyler View Post
    I too am having an issue uploading stories. I believe I have correctly changed it to UTF-8, but it still isn't letting me upload. I'm very ignorant with this kind of stuff, so I thought I would just let you know.
    What program are you using to write? Can you upload your story somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by Lordgriffin View Post
    I Use microsoft word sir.... and what about the rest? it is preventing me from seeing Mature explicit content, when I want to see explicit content
    You can export plain text in UTF-8 format from Word by saving as a .txt file. It will prompt you for encoding, and you can choose "Other Encoding -> Unicode 5.1 UTF-8". See also Word's help page.

Quote Originally Posted by catalepsy View Post
    What program are you using to write? Can you upload your story somewhere else?
    I'm trying to transfer stories and poems over from my Furaffinity account. I typed them all on Microsoft Word 2007 on my old laptop. On my new laptop, I'm awaiting Microsoft Office 2013, so I used Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Handler is change it to UTF-8. Maybe the program didn't accept it, I'm not sure.
    Last edited by FurryTyler; 02-17-2013 at 06:38 PM.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryTyler View Post
    I'm trying to transfer stories and poems over from my Furaffinity account. I typed them all one Microsoft Word 2007 on my old laptop. On my new laptop, I'm awaiting Microsoft Office 2013, so I used Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Handler is change it to UTF-8. Maybe the program didn't accept it, I'm not sure.
    Okay.

Did you try opening the file and then choosing Save As -> .txt? This should offer a dialog box after you hit Save, and offer choices of encoding.

Um..How/ i thought I did? where is it?

I was having some trouble uploading my story and then I just copy+pasted it into a notepad, and then from there into the submission. Fixed formatting directly there and it took it just fine. I don't know if that'll help in your situation but when I kept getting an error and came looking for an answer none of the UTF-8 stuff made sense to me. :/ I'm assuming it works because Notepad strips the problem formatting out of it similarly to a plain text file.

Alright, so I made that last bit up, I have no idea why it worked, but it did.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #17

I don't have this software, but others who have asked about this seem satisfied with this explanation for how to save UTF-8 plaintext directly in newer versions of Word.

I think the only way to save in UTF-8 from Word is to click Office button > Save As and choose Plain Text as the file type. When you click the Save button, a conversion dialog will appear; choose 'Other encoding' to activate the list box, and choose UTF-8. That will preserve the characters, but it will lose all the usual formatting (bold, italic, different fonts, etc.).

This seems like a LOT of work to get our stories uploaded, not to mention it destroys any layout we might have had.
    I write in Google Doc.
    I downloaded it as a PDF, but that wouldn't upload (UTF-8 claim). Downloaded as a RTF. This uploaded, but I get lots of code instead of the story. Resubmitted as TXT file, still the same problem. https://www.weasyl.com/view/114181

Thornbrier, the problem is they don't yet support any other methods but TXT, and the only TXT they support is encoded in UTF-8
    eventually hopefully they will support EPUB, ODT, and DOC (EPUB is probably the most versatile and widely useful.. even if you don't have an EPUB reader, just unzip it like a zip file and open the contents with a browser)
    ODT would be good too, as it is an open format. DOC is just the most widely accepted even if it isn't properly open, just reverse engineered.

That IS a lot of work to get stories uploaded and from a useability standpoint is not-good. Users should not have to be gurus to post a story. The web code should utilize an appropriate text/document mangler to take the weight off the user really. It doesn't matter how pretty or informative the error is. If the user has to jump through a plethora of hoops beforehand or receive an error, it's poor user experience.