Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Hnngh them hands

Hnngh them hands

Something I always struggle with is the hands. Fingers tend to look like sausages or french fries most of the time and I just can't get them look right so I'll usually hide them. Might also be I just try to draw something so complex in too small area but anyway.
    Any tuts on hands, fingers or wrists would be much appreciated, even though drawing hands is very much watch and learn and there ain't no "one guide to drawing hands"
    Thanks in advance ya'll

Weasyl
    N/A
    Hands are hard as shit.

Lemme show you this by me:

When I drew these, I had a good look at my own hand. Note how I started with the very basic shape in each of these, especially the palm. I do the palm, and then a bit that sticks out for the thumb.

The curve at the top is for the base of the fingers. Looking at your own hand, you can guess which finger goes where. Just note that it's never a straight line, it's more of a curve. Fingers are an absolute pain, but the curve can be repeated going up for each row of knuckles so you get an idea of placement. As for the inner details and proportions... Well, just look at your own hand! Logical steps have no place there. After getting a good layout sketch for a starting point, it then becomes a matter of close observation and practise. Trust me, you'll get it. :>

PS: It may be worth noting that when I drew this, I was looking at the back of my left hand put into a fist. But the exact same picture can be used as a guide for my open right palm, as well as the back of my closed left fist.

PSS: I hope this helps you, but remember, you need not copy. My work is far from perfect, so if you ever find anything that looks close, but different to the way I do it, the way you found may actually be the right one.
    Last edited by FishNChips; 08-11-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Cheers mate for this. I suppose I'll just gotta draw bigger hands so I can stick more lines to them without making them look like black boxes which is my main issue. Like I said they tend to be small. like 2cm^2 small

Weasyl
    N/A
    You're welcome :>

But I do hope someone else comes along and gives you some better examples than I have

Weasyl
    Littlerock
    The best advice I can give you involves a pencil, paper, eraser, mirror, and your own hand. Drawing your own, or other's hands from life is really good practice to understanding the basic anatomy of them (much like anything else, really). Make careful notes of how long each finger is compared to the next, and what the palm looks like when stretched and compressed.

You'll pick it up very quickly with practice c:

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Hands are hard for me as well. I draw hands way too big most of the time and with short fingers.

I find that posemaniac's hand viewer is a helpful resource, though. Link is slightly NSFW because the top image is a nude male torso. There is also a foot and head model in the list as well.

Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze

Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    Hands are hard for me as well. I draw hands way too big most of the time and with short fingers.

I find that posemaniac's hand viewer is a helpful resource, though. Link is slightly NSFW because the top image is a nude male torso. There is also a foot and head model in the list as well.
    This site <3
    Very handy for shading as well

Uggh >u< This thread is WONDERFUL. <3<3

I have MAJOR problems drawing hands. This helps a ton. Also that Posemaniacs link is perfect.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10

Weasyl
    Stereo