Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Favourite OS

Weasyl
    Shad-Wolf

Favourite OS

Thought it be a good idea to see what your favourite OS's are that you like to use on a daily basis. :3

We'll keep it simple so it doesn't start unnecessary flame wars of which OS is best, often people can get a bit too carried away when it comes to topics like these. ;p

Simple questions are; "What is your favourite OS and Why?"
    ---------------------------------

My main system I use is Mac OSX Lion 10.7.5, I use it because it's very stable and fast and I've never had any problems with it. It's great for Multimedia stuff and Video editing thanks to it's pro-like video editor software iMovie which gives great flexibility in creating top quality videos suitable for viewing on any computer and devices. I also find OSX best for when it comes to coding since there's a vast amount of software you can get for which you can use to work in such as Sublime Text 2, Xcode, plus others more. –– Now I know that Mac isn't particularly gaming worthy in some folks eyes but… I find it pretty good sometimes when playing games off Steam, or playing Minecraft.

My 2nd system I use is Ubuntu 12.10, I use it because yet again it's very stable and fast, not to mention lightweight too! when you stack compare it to the likes of Windows and OSX, since it's loaded with only what you need, instead of being piled with excess junk you wont ever use. Plus you have that flexibility to add more to it later if desired, very customisable and perfect for programming in too since it has all the right stuff built-in from the start with the likes of Gedit Text Editor which is somewhat similar to Notepad++, but as a more simple editor for all kinds of works. Plus with Linux support from Steam I can play games that I want to play right on Ubuntu given to us by Valve who has great and promising support for Linux Gaming over the preference of what Windows can offer in terms of performance and support seeing as Microsoft is dropping development of DirectX 11, we'll see the likes of OpenGL and OpenCL to replace it completely eventually.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    My favorite OS for old games is XP, and Vista for everything else.

Sadly I'm using 8 now.

Weasyl
    Dark
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    Vista
    BURN THE HERETIC. :V

Anyway, I primarily use Windows 7, but I also have Linux Mint 12 on an ooooooold (circa 2001) laptop upstairs and a Galaxy S2 which runs Android 4. I consider myself a Linux guy but I find myself using my Windows machine more, if only because it's, uh, actually modern and not half-destroyed.

My favoruite OS by and large is Mac OS X. Its the power of UNIX, X11 and open source wrapped up in a fantastic GUI that also runs Photoshop. Whats not to love? I just adore the workflow in OS X, its no frills and too the point. Mount a network disk, run automator, job done.

However, when it comes to production servers I used to use Linux (specifically Ubuntu Server for its scalability and usability). But configuration files start to get tedious over time when simple changes become annoying because of the command-line only interface or little things could bring down the entire deamon (such as a one syntax error in the Apache config when setting up WebDAV support brought down the entire web service), so I'm now running Windows Server 2008 R2 and its an absolute dream of a server OS. One server now runs as a local network backup, web server, database server, web file access, torrent server, VPN server, web media streaming server and local home media server - each individual feature only took a few minutes to properly configure and secure as well - its a win-win.

Price is an obvious issue, however, especially now that Microsoft have bumped up the price of the bare basic Windows Server 2012 (Server Essentials) package up to an astonishingly high £500. Though, sadly, I know I'm going to stick with it rather than go back to Linux, purely from how easy it is to setup and its just as effective for what I use it for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ShadWolf View Post
    Microsoft is dropping development of DirectX 11, we'll see the likes of OpenGL and OpenCL to replace it completely eventually.
    I've just re-read your post and had to double take. They're still making DirectX, but XNA is going down the toilet. But I am in the same boat as you, hoping that OpenGL and OpenCL take off big time as they did in the mid 90s gaming scene because those systems seem far more effective when I've seen them in action.

Weasyl
    Dark
    Quote Originally Posted by benanderson View Post
    I've just re-read your post and had to double take. They're still making DirectX, but XNA is going down the toilet. But I am in the same boat as you, hoping that OpenGL and OpenCL take off big time as they did in the mid 90s gaming scene because those systems seem far more effective when I've seen them in action.
    Never mind that the Open** (except AL I'm assuming) libraries are cross-platform and DirectX is not. Shame Macs are stuck on OpenGL 3.3 whereas the rest of the world has moved on to 4.0+.

Weasyl
    Sparky15756
    I love Windows XP and Windows Vista, even got a bit of love for Windows 95. =3

Quote Originally Posted by Dark View Post
    Never mind that the Open** (except AL I'm assuming) libraries are cross-platform and DirectX is not. Shame Macs are stuck on OpenGL 3.3 whereas the rest of the world has moved on to 4.0+.
    OpenGL only supports a limited number of graphics cards. OS X 10.8.3 will support AMD Radeon 7000 graphics cards (as drop in replacements in the MacPro as well as rumoured for the new MacPro and possibly the next iMac). With support for the 7000 range, OSX will be fully capable of OpenGL 4.2.

It is a bummer how it is still stuck on the 3.x release, though unlike other OSes, OpenCL is fully integrated into OS X - its a win loose situation.

As an OS, Mac OS X (pretty much from 10.4 to 10.8) is my favorite. It's just generally the nicest experience using a machine I've had, on an OS level. Some Linux distributions come close, though. (...Well, I guess the best experience I've had with an OS ever was Windows XP, but I'm trying to keep it more recent!)

With that said, I'm kind of stranded on Windows 7 for the time being - it's just required for a fair chunk of things for me, these days. I'm tempted to Hackintosh my desktop (...rather, shift to OS X since I've already got it installed) because, due to its older hardware, none of the demanding Windows applications get run on it to begin with.

Also a few various Linux machines running different distributions. I've gotta toy with Arch again sometime. I loved it.

(have some more parentheses)

Weasyl
    Shad-Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark View Post
    You could probably manually update the OpenCL/GL version for OSX by downloading and compiling the latest source for the system, but you may encounter some bugs for it while using it. It is highly supportive to NVIDA and Radeon cards… me I'm not particularly a fan of Radeon and would go with NVIDA since that's the only one I've ever used mostly cuz it's never let me down.

Weasyl
    Dark
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadWolf View Post
    You could probably manually update the OpenCL/GL version for OSX by downloading and compiling the latest source for the system, but you may encounter some bugs for it while using it. It is highly supportive to NVIDA and Radeon cards… me I'm not particularly a fan of Radeon and would go with NVIDA since that's the only one I've ever used mostly cuz it's never let me down.
    With GPUs it's all YMMV really. I've never had a problem with any of my Radeons that hasn't been my blunder.