Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Um...hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    Description may be "irrelevant" but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be there. Actually, a lot of the time, description IS pretty damn important and makes role-playing that much easier and fun.
    I don't think anyone's saying anything else. :> But there is a difference between writing long posts because someone's describing a scene/atmosphere, controlling NPCs, etc. and ending up with several paragraphs because they're including a bunch of unnecessary details.

I enjoy some fluff myself, once in awhile, but never feel like yourself (or any other player) isn't up to speed if they don't.
    Icon by Lingrimm.

Weasyl
    Dark
    Quote Originally Posted by Thistle View Post
    I don't think anyone's saying anything else. :> But there is a difference between writing long posts because someone's describing a scene/atmosphere, controlling NPCs, etc. and ending up with several paragraphs because they're including a bunch of unnecessary details.
    where is the This button when you need it

Seriously, there's a pretty big difference between a GM writing huge posts and a player writing huge posts. The former usually has to if they're controlling NPCs and/or dealing with players in different locales.
    Meanwhile, in #CoE...

[20:12:26] <+Dark> "He's dead, Jim."
    [20:14:11] <Nate|phone> My name's not Jim
    [20:14:20] <Nate|phone> And Starr's not a guy
    [20:15:18] <Nate|phone> ...
    [20:17:20] <+Cerberus> And Shadow's not a callgirl.
    [20:17:52] <+Dark> LOL

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Thistle View Post

I enjoy some fluff myself, once in awhile, but never feel like yourself (or any other player) isn't up to speed if they don't.
    Oh I see.
    Well I still try to improve because I see it as furthering writing as a hobby. I may feel like I'd slow them down but it doesn't prevent me from doing my best.
    Also what's counted as unnecessary details? That can vary from person to person.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Dark
    Oh I see.Also what's counted as unnecessary details? That can vary from person to person.
    Describing what their character is wearing is in most cases, save intro posts and meeting other characters, completely unnecessary, as is stuff like going into detail about some silly aside they happen to be doing. Most people would do better to just concentrate on the important events that are happening now, like, for example, possible explanations for why XYZ vanished, finding out more on the antagonist, etc.. A lot of unnecessary stuff can be avoided if we already know about the characters in question.
    Meanwhile, in #CoE...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark View Post
    Describing what their character is wearing is in most cases, save intro posts and meeting other characters, completely unnecessary, as is stuff like going into detail about some silly aside they happen to be doing. Most people would do better to just concentrate on the important events that are happening now, like, for example, possible explanations for why XYZ vanished, finding out more on the antagonist, etc.. A lot of unnecessary stuff can be avoided if we already know about the characters in question.
    These are great guidelines.

To add a bit more, if you already have character sheets and location descriptions, there's no need to rehash appearances/locales. One thing that would drive me nuts, in some group RPs, is that we would have those and people would still insist on basically repeating what was already common knowledge. If you've already got a detailed description of a tavern on the site/forum, people likely already know about its appearance.

The exception to the rule here is if you're playing in a bigger location (like a major city) or your character has altered some part of their appearance for the purpose of the scene. So describing that they're in a rough part of town and wearing a ratty old coat to fit in with the locals wouldn't be overkill in a post or two. Details, in that case, add to the scene/"flavor" and aren't just a rerun of what can already be found on the site/forum.
    Icon by Lingrimm.

I love how this thread went from " Looking for partners, " to " Guidelines for Roleplaying in Groups. " Don't get me wrong, I'm taking notes here, all good stuff.
    The only downside to all this is the one plot I'm really bent on using is super big. Like, the setting itself takes a lot of buildup to get to, I'll write three or four paragraphs just setting up an opening. As such, it feels a little too big to have all the details in one post, so multiple postings would be necessary to get all the locations, and the characters, races, monsters, antagonists, constructs, lore, vehicles, mounts, weapons, costume possibilities, magic, gods, religions, jobs, dynamics and everything else involved just right.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Personally I think the start of the RP if it's something original would be an exception to the rule. Because people would then have to build on that about what's going on with who and where.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Dark
    Personally I think the start of the RP if it's something original would be an exception to the rule. Because people would then have to build on that about what's going on with who and where.
    I actually alluded to that in my post. The start of a roleplay is generally when you're "required" to write a lot, but after that not so much.
    Meanwhile, in #CoE...

Right right. I can dig it. Okay, I think I'll just crank out a starter post and see who bites. Thanks, everyone, you've all been a big help. Mostly in jamming up my confidence somethin' fierce, but y'know, that's...well, yeah. If you like I'll post a link here, you all seem like my kind of group, though don't feel obligated or anythin', I just kind of like you guys. ^^