Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Um...hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark View Post
    Yeah this is definitely a massive pain in the ass to do properly. Hell, I run a roleplaying forum and I still haven't been able to pull off running my own RP for more than a month.
    I feel for you, haha :C It's definitely a labor of love, and, even when you have the most angelic player base, you still spend so much time keeping everyone else busy that you lose the time for developing your own characters and their plots. I love chucking events and NPCs at people, but there were definitely points where I wished I could just fade back in with the "normal" players.

(Sorry, kinda hijacking your thread here, Batsukenji, so I won't ramble too much.)
    Icon by Lingrimm.

Don't feel too bad, Thistle, you guys can air out whatever you like here. Really, it just gets bumped to advertise that I'm looking for partners, so, y'know, win win. :3
    But on the topic of group rps, I just couldn't run one, and my writing's an embarrassment if ever there was one, so I prefer to stick to singular partners, that's the main logic behind it. Lots of people, I feel like I'm being judged for every participant, one person, it's one other opinion, and I can tailor my responses better, rather than attempt to leave it open for everyone my posts are relevant too.
    Last edited by Batsukenji; 02-22-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Weasyl
    Dark
    Quote Originally Posted by Batsukenji View Post
    I feel like I'm being judged for every participant.
    Worst mistake you can make in a RP group. Thinking that way won't lead to improvement.

Just focus on responding to people. The common attitude around ZEJ is that no matter the length of your post, as long as it has proper grammar and gets the intended point across, it's a good post. Oftentimes concentrating on supposed quality actually accomplishes the opposite. I know in my case that trying to write at length usually leads to inconsistencies or me endlessly repeating myself, so I don't try to post walls.

You make a good point, Dark. I suppose maybe I could try to start a group...? I guess one would do it in a thread here? Or is there another section I should try it in...?

Weasyl
    N/A
    I always feel like I'm judged as well, even in a one on one setting. I'd like to join a role play group however I'm not so good with furry characters. The closest i have is a werewolf.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

I understand feeling self-conscious in RP. I tend to be hypercritical of everything creative that rolls off my fingers, haha 8C

BUT! Roleplay should be about the interactive element, and anybody who expects you to write a perfect essay every time you post probably isn't going to be a fun partner. Like Dark said, just make sure it's coherent and gets the point across, and you've succeeded.

Personally, I'd rather read a short, meaningful post/pose than wait forever for 500 lines of fluffy purple prose that doesn't do anything but describe a character's outfit multiple times.
    Icon by Lingrimm.

Weasyl
    N/A
    True but when I was on some other sites, there would be people who posted maybe one line of text barely describing anything and then there were those that wrote several paragraphs of beautifully described setting. Time, location, people, etc.

So on the one hand, I feel intruding and bitchy for asking for more from the one-liners. On the other, I feel like I'm hindering the atmosphere in the latter.

Weasyl
    Dark
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    there were those that wrote several paragraphs of beautifully described setting. Time, location, people, etc.
    I know someone like that. What he told me is basically most of the time, a lot of that "description" is irrelevant to the plot and can usually be ignored. Just find the most important bits and respond to those and don't concern yourself with trying to keep up with others.

On making "furry" characters: It all depends on what you consider to be furry. I have someone on ZEJ who makes nekomata and mostly human kitsune. She's a furry. In the case of anthro, just let your creativity go nuts. After all, it's a bit strange if you can make a fursona but feel uncomfortable making what's essentially the same thing but tailored for a specific situation.
    Last edited by Dark; 02-24-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    Meanwhile, in #CoE...

[20:12:26] <+Dark> "He's dead, Jim."
    [20:14:11] <Nate|phone> My name's not Jim
    [20:14:20] <Nate|phone> And Starr's not a guy
    [20:15:18] <Nate|phone> ...
    [20:17:20] <+Cerberus> And Shadow's not a callgirl.
    [20:17:52] <+Dark> LOL

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark View Post
    I know someone like that. What he told me is basically most of the time, a lot of that "description" is irrelevant to the plot and can usually be ignored. Just find the most important bits and respond to those and don't concern yourself with trying to keep up with others.
    Well usually that's pretty difficult and can hinder the feel of the RP. Description may be "irrelevant" but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be there. Actually, a lot of the time, description IS pretty damn important and makes role-playing that much easier and fun.

Weasyl
    Dark
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    Well usually that's pretty difficult and can hinder the feel of the RP. Description may be "irrelevant" but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be there. Actually, a lot of the time, description IS pretty damn important and makes role-playing that much easier and fun.
    Description is important, yes, but if people are constantly writing that much you'd have to wonder what contrived expectations they have of the average player. I know at ZEJ that even with our two or three people who write walls, nobody is expected to write on their level. We just want a smallish paragraph from everyone and if you can write more, then that's wonderful. Nowhere do we set hard expectations for posting though. Even the people who do write at length say this. Find what you're comfortable with writing and stick with it; pay no mind to how long others posts are.
    Meanwhile, in #CoE...

[20:12:26] <+Dark> "He's dead, Jim."
    [20:14:11] <Nate|phone> My name's not Jim
    [20:14:20] <Nate|phone> And Starr's not a guy
    [20:15:18] <Nate|phone> ...
    [20:17:20] <+Cerberus> And Shadow's not a callgirl.
    [20:17:52] <+Dark> LOL