Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: UTF-8 Error Message

Weasyl
    Windthor

UTF-8 Error Message

I posted two stories on the site so far, and would have posted a third, but for some reason, it seems that "Text submissions must be encoded in UTF-8." I'm not sure what I've done wrong or different from the other two stories I submitted, or what the error message even means. Is it possible I could have some clarification on this at all?

If this is already being dealt with, don't mind me. ^_^

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    hi! thanks for the report, but please be sure to read this stickied thread on posting support threads.

in this case, it would be helpful to see the files you were trying to submit, if you can post them exactly as-is somewhere else. it would also be helpful to hear how it was you saved these files (especially what program you're using). UTF-8 is a way of representing various characters in a way that's understood by most computers. saving text files usually writes out UTF-8, but it depends on what you're using.

Weasyl
    Windthor
    Well, it's a NSFW story that I had originally posted on FurAffinity, as a .txt file. (NSFW: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7207694/) I used the download function, copied, and pasted on Notepad, saved as a .txt file, and when I tried to post it on Weasyl, it gave me the error message. It didn't give me the error message for the other two stories of the same filetype, and they were posted without issue.

Submission Page (May be NSFW due to tags)
    As you can see, it's a .txt file.

Error Message
    I get this error message when I click continue to post that specific file.

Also, sorry for not doing it right in the first place, I'm kinda dumb. ^_^;

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    When you save in Notepad, is "UTF-8" an option in the Encoding dropdown? I haven't used Windows in a while, so I'm not sure.

Weasyl
    Windthor
    No, I just use File>Save As. There isn't an encoding option that I can see for Notepad. Though if it encoded it as something other than UTF-8 by default, I'd probably be having the same problems with all of the stories I've posted, not just one.

Edit: I have to go to work in like, three minutes, so I won't be able to reply anymore tonight.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    that can still explain it; there is semi-fortunately a lot of overlap between UTF-8 and other character encodings commonly used. this can lead to a situation where your document contains only the subset of characters that's representable in the overlap. I'm looking at your FA submissions right now, though.

- - - Updated - - -

okay, found it. you have a part of your story that says "Ask for the ‘Poisson Special'," and in your FA submission, it's not encoded in UTF-8. unfortunately I'm not a windows user either, so I couldn't tell you specifically how to make notepad write the file out correctly.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
    On my Windows 7 machine, there is an Encoding dropdown next to the save button. It defaults to ANSI, which is incorrect for Weasyl.

Weasyl
    Windthor
    I'm back.

Catelepsy, I'm using Windows 7, and Notepad doesn't have an Encoding dropdown.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    On both of the Win7 machines I've tried, Notepad clearly has the Encoding dropdown. Please see https://www.weasyl.com/submission/97497

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Windthor, I recommend checking out Notepad++ for Windows. It has a lot of useful encoding options and should solve your issue. It's also all around a much better text editor.