Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Rise of the Guardians

Rise of the Guardians

Did anyone here go see thus? How did you like it? I meant to see it but I procrastinated until it went out of the theaters.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Weasyl
    Aden
    I've never even heard of it! Looked it up on imdb and looks like it could be interesting

Weasyl
    Tiger
    I LOVED it. My friend and I are currently creating a Rise of the Guardians forum. I highly recommend watching it, it's excellent, I love the characters, especially Sandman. The graphics rock, too.

Weasyl
    kuto
    I went to see it, i really enjoyed it. I prefer it when dreamworks makes these kinds of movies that are timeless unlike the dated pop culture films they used to make that ended with bee movie.

Weasyl
    Aokamidu

A Comprehensive Post

OK, where to begin...?

Rise of the Guardians was Dreamworks' final film released under Paramount (future releases are now under FOX's distribution). It was based on the upcoming book series 'Guardians of Childhood' by William Joyce (originator of Rolie Polie Ollie, George Shrinks, Robots, A Day with Wilbur Robinson - Disney adapted this as Meet the Robinsons) who supervised production so it didn't clash or reveal any plans for his future book releases.

Initial reactions to Guardian's teaser trailers led to a lot of people mistakenly dubbing the film as "a children's movie version of Marvel/Disney's Avengers." Whilst I can understand why (given the success of Avengers), I'd have to say Guardians was less about a team-up and exploring the origin of oft-forgotten Jack Frost and how this mischievous spirit of fun (despite his freezing ability) found his raison-d'Ítre (reason for existing) - that's all I'll reveal plot-wise, so no fear of spoilers.

Anyway, onto my opinion. To me, Guardians was possibly one of Dreamworks' strongest productions since The Prince of Egypt. Like Kuto said, unlike Shrek or Madagascar (or Bee Movie, urgh, I forgot they produced that) Guardians didn't heavily rely on American pop culture references (indeed, they snuck in a reference to the French Tooth Fairy, who is actually a mouse!) nor rely celebrity voices to carry the story (exempting the fact that Hugh Jackman's natural Australian accent pretty much shaped E. Aster Bunnymund - i.e. Easter Bunny!).

I found the characters to be likeable, the context-sensitive humour (so no random stuff ala Family Guy) smirk-raising, and the pace flowing nicely - I was glad to have invested a lot of faith in Guillermo del Toro's directing ability, seeing as he's comfortably dealt with fantasy before (Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy being two examples of his past work).

And finally, the amount of effort Dreamworks put into the art style and effects were really exhilarating - especially for Sandman and interplay of light and shadow for Pitch. I was sold on that so much that I've got the Making Of- book.

In closing, I would recommend Guardians to anyone who wants a visually fantastic non-Disney/Pixar-produced animated film. It's really nothing like anything Dreamworks have produced before and I only wish that Guardians had reaped a bigger return for the company so it'd encourage Dreamworks to experiment more with movie plots and visual imagery (alas, the competition with Disney in the US with the more heavily-publicised Wreck-It Ralph didn't work out too well, and movies released in December in the UK don't generally tend to reap much of a return).

Regardless, I really enjoyed Guardians and glad I saw it (and I'm known to be hyper-critical with what I watch). Anyone interested should see Guardians for themselves - I'm definitely getting the DVD once it's out in the late spring/early summer (date unconfirmed at the time of writing this).

That's my two cents - thanks for bearing with me!

Weasyl
    N/A
    ^ What he said

also I saw it three times. Very recommended. ^^
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Stella-Song
    I loved it. Saw it twice in the cinema, and I would happily watch it over and over.
    It was even better the second time I watched it - mind you I had also read the first three books of the series it was based off of between my first and second viewing so that probably made it even better.

It's just such an amazing film.
    I adore Bunnymund so much. <3

Dreamworks did it again! After How to Train your Dragon and Megamind, I had a feeling that this one would be equally awesome. And I wasn't disappointed! Great stuff. And I didn't feel like any of the characters were "just thrown in there" like I do with some movies with a larger cast. They all seemed significant and important to the plot. This one's a must-own for me.

Weasyl
    Priincessu
    I adored the movie it was very good, creative and just amazing overall. Naturally after seeing the movie I had to run and make a FC for it. My favorite thing about it was Jack's dark backstory. Although when I saw him as a human I was like "AMG HICCUP!"

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Telvadian Rebel View Post
    Dreamworks did it again! After How to Train your Dragon and Megamind, I had a feeling that this one would be equally awesome. And I wasn't disappointed! Great stuff. And I didn't feel like any of the characters were "just thrown in there" like I do with some movies with a larger cast. They all seemed significant and important to the plot. This one's a must-own for me.
    I take it you forgot about the elves. That's one thing I absolutely hated about Dreamworks. They have the herpa-derp useless minion things that are only there for comic relief.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.