Weasyl
    Juste

The Folder System and dedicated Gallery Pages, vaguely

I suggest termination of the folder moniker and working it into a super-tagging/portfolio system. The addition of multiple folders possible per submission would effectively invalidate the common association of "folders" with the use of any submission type. Numerous sub-folders would only further enhance the pointlessness of the nomenclature. Functionality that is assessed from the end user's common methodology of hierarchal structure would make more sense to me, a la simplicity of design.

Basing the system off a "Super Tagging" or portfolio styled system (this would be apart from the actual 'tags') would be more logical, if you ask me. I certainly have numerous pieces that are effectively able to be in different folders given their content and the fact that folders are limited to simplistic terms. Additionally, the UI for this system would need to be reworked to prevent link trekking, physically or otherwise.

Gallery pages (or whatever you want to call them) would, additionally be important. An immersive experience tailored to content type would be ideal. For instance, browsing photographs would be much different than literature or music. I don't know what you guys are aiming for ultimately, and that certainly would affect exactly where the direction would go. My suggestions are specific to an art centric design, as opposed to social, monetary, or other key pillars. My end desire here is to be able to tie a portfolio into a viewing or sharing experience while maintaining the integrity of the artist's message as best presented.

Weasyl
    Rattoyagi
    Assuming we are all top notch geniuses this all would make total sense, but since we aren't, this post hurts my brain. I consider myself a well educated person, and if there are more than a few that can actually understand this, then just ignore me. But I doubt most can. Was it really necessary to go over the top with the (for lack of a better word) big words? Furthermore....Holy crap what did you just say?

Weasyl
    Juste
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattoyagi View Post
    Assuming we are all top notch geniuses this all would make total sense, but since we aren't, this post hurts my brain. I consider myself a well educated person, and if there are more than a few that can actually understand this, then just ignore me. But I doubt most can. Was it really necessary to go over the top with the (for lack of a better word) big words? Furthermore....Holy crap what did you just say?
    I apologize. I had been attempting to keep the sesquipedalianism to a minimum, but I might not have placed enough consideration in conveyance or tying everything together. What I was attempting to say is that I believe the folder system has become redundant and could be better utilized in a fashion that is more similar to 'tags'. Folders in this case being a categorical storage mechanism and tags being a categorical identification mechanism. Basically, taking what we currently have as folders and using them in a way dissimilar from digital or physical folders could lead to confusion and possibly locking the development into preconceived notions. I see more use coming from a system that treats the organization of submissions simplistically by assigning categories or tags, as opposed to shoehorning them into particular, discrete pathways (which a series of folder -> subfolders would do). Naturally, it is perfectly possible to build enough folders that could perfectly describe any submission, but such a structure would be incredibly cumbersome.

My second point regarding gallery pages is that I am suggesting an alternate way for an artist to showcase their work, beyond the submission view we have now. An example of something different would be a slideshow (I'm not saying Weasyl should do slideshows) instead of individual viewing with each item located on a unique page that requires backtracking (or trekking) to navigate. I'm alluding to a more immersive experience. A possibility here would be a, for example, customizable page where the atmosphere of the environment (the page) can be tailored by the artist to best reflect or compliment the art piece or collection of pieces in question.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Are you saying that perhaps a submission is grouped based on the tags it has rather than the folder it is in? I don't use folders much, and they're alright, but I think sub-folders within folders is confusing and much more difficult to browse through, kind of like the message inbox where you see the separate areas certain works fall under but in order to view them all it takes some clicking and browsing to get to see that image whether it be Submission or Collection and whatnot.

Weasyl
    Juste
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Are you saying that perhaps a submission is grouped based on the tags it has rather than the folder it is in? I don't use folders much, and they're alright, but I think sub-folders within folders is confusing and much more difficult to browse through, kind of like the message inbox where you see the separate areas certain works fall under but in order to view them all it takes some clicking and browsing to get to see that image whether it be Submission or Collection and whatnot.
    That is one of the facets of what I am saying, yes. The difference being that the 'tags' used to categorize the submission is set by the artist's personal system. Tags as they are used today are a different set that are used by the audience to find the submission.

Weasyl
    Juste
    I'm going to take a wild guess that I might have lost some people along the way.

I'm partial to folders and do like to be able to specifically group submissions right on my front page, still I do see them as being far too restricting at the moment. Specifically in the way you do need to navigate through the layers to see the images inside each individual folder. Simply allowing us to see all the items in the sub-folders from their master-folders' view would be much smoother than the wasteland between browsing chronological uploads and the bottom of the sub-folder tree. I've only been using my folders to stick things into specific groups that are made to be with each other ( series of images, specific stories that would be broken up too much to be viewed easily if left in the 'root' view ) rather than trying to use my folders to precisely categorise every piece of work. I don't believe constructing tag labyrinths is really the best spirit of folder usage.
    I've never viewed or set up a proper artist portfolio before, most of the time I've only seen professional's online work divided into folders on their websites much like Weasyl has got now. Or sprawled out through countless blog pages.

Especially since it's what these extensive folder trees are being grown for want of, I could see the benefits in an improved tag browsing system especially something that had greater presence on the userpage or gallery view, perhaps a compounding tag browser. Like so. Browsing a user's gallery has you essentially searching under the tag 'Juste' for example, after clicking on a submission featuring macro photography and taking an interest in seeing more of Juste's macro work, one could click the 'macro' tag and then see all the images under 'macro' and 'juste.' Then clicking 'flower' would make it 'macro' plus 'juste' plus 'flower.' Regardless of which folder of sub-folder any of the images were in initially. Likewise some system for effectively going backwards or reducing the number of tags being browsed at once. Perhaps all of the links would be viewable in the folder window, maybe with all of the links placed by the artist specifically on top and colour coded.

Anyway, I'm tired and not quite with it, this is probably mostly stream of consciousness, but still felt like having some kind of input here as I've heard a lot of grumbling about how it feels to browse Weasyl right now, and it seems like that could have been along the lines of what you were suggesting, though my own attempt at approaching it. Obviously this would also require automatic tagging based on folder and uploader, perhaps even year submitted. It's be nice to browse 'January' '2013' in fourty years' time.

Weasyl
    Juste
    The user suffers greatly in the use of Weasyl currently due to the inefficient browsing and categorization system. In connecting a User to Media (UtM) and User to Function (UtF), there are numerous redundant or otherwise pointless steps involved. This has created a system of exaggerated link trekking required to accomplish a task. Ideally, UtM interactions should be as simple, easy, and intuitive as possible. UtF treks vary in their relative frequency, but they should still be fairly short.

Simply put, there are too many steps involved to do something, and at this point, anything. Whenever I want to use Weasyl, it is slightly obnoxious to accomplish what I wish. I can see the development going in several directions, and I do hope they are unique and valuable. To be anything else would be suicide.