Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: So....What can I do?

  1. #21
    Retired Staff Tiger's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    grrl
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Aden View Post
    Brought this to the attention of some of the mainsite staff. Hopefully we'll get some stricter rules in place for this section
    Awesome. I hope there's a way to get the Crit Wanted feature used more appropriately because when it is, the results are really great.


    As for as the criticism topic, this is how I see it (which people may or may not agree with, and that's ok). A critique is a form of criticism- evaluating/anylaizing a work. Critique could be positive, negative, or constructive (hence the phrase "constructive criticism"). Some people would not like any form of a critique, therefore it can be said that they do not want any form of criticism. I feel like often times the way a critique is viewed depends on the person receiving it rather than how it is given to them (as in some people could a receive positive/constructive critique but still see it as harsh and negative criticism)...I hope that all makes sense.
    Last edited by Tiger; 01-30-2013 at 05:42 PM.

  2. #22
    Viking of Weasyl TangoDelahunt's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Tango
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Awesome. I hope there's a way to get the Crit Wanted feature used more appropriately because when it is, the results are really great.


    As for as the criticism topic, this is how I see it (which people may or may not agree with, and that's ok). A critique is a form of criticism- evaluating/anylaizing a work. Critique could be positive, negative, or constructive (hence the phrase "constructive criticism"). Some people would not like any form of a critique, therefore it can be said that they do not want any form of criticism. I feel like often times the way a critique is viewed depends on the person receiving it rather than how it is given to them (as in some people could a receive positive/constructive critique but still see it as harsh and negative criticism)...I hope that all makes sense.

    I disagree but I see what you are saying.
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

  3. #23
    Retired Staff Tiger's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    grrl
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanita View Post
    I disagree but I see what you are saying.
    All good, I understand. I think the meaning/difference of each word can differ from person to person.

  4. #24
    Viking of Weasyl TangoDelahunt's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Tango
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    358
    You know, I was thinking: Since we have the forums why couldn't we have a link to a critique subforum instead? That why people can't abuse the function and get the critique they are looking for. Just an idea.


    Sanita
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

  5. #25
    Retired Staff Tiger's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    grrl
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanita View Post
    You know, I was thinking: Since we have the forums why couldn't we have a link to a critique subforum instead? That why people can't abuse the function and get the critique they are looking for. Just an idea.
    Hmm. I see what you're saying, but at this point I'm not sure how effective it would be. I'm not sure that many main site artists actively check the forums, or that enough people would post in that critique subforum to keep it active. I do think that every artist would need their own thread to avoid artists making a new thread for each work they post. And I'm not sure how many responses they will get with the forums being the size they are now. However, when the forums pick up more and more daily traffic, a critique subforum could be very helpful.

    So I think at this point a critique forum won't be very effective, but it's possible for the future. I also think that the WIP and Critique thread will work best for now (and even that hasn't been too active lately. Within one month there has only been 3 posts there).

  6. #26
    Viking of Weasyl TangoDelahunt's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Tango
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Hmm. I see what you're saying, but at this point I'm not sure how effective it would be. I'm not sure that many main site artists actively check the forums, or that enough people would post in that critique subforum to keep it active. I do think that every artist would need their own thread to avoid artists making a new thread for each work they post. And I'm not sure how many responses they will get with the forums being the size they are now. However, when the forums pick up more and more daily traffic, a critique subforum could be very helpful.

    So I think at this point a critique forum won't be very effective, but it's possible for the future. I also think that the WIP and Critique thread will work best for now (and even that hasn't been too active lately. Within one month there has only been 3 posts there).
    Eh, just an idea. If it works later then cool.
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

  7. #27
    Solifugid Onnes's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Onnes
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    321
    I can see why someone wouldn't want unsolicited criticism on their personal page of a casual art site. I spent enough time on FA/FAF to see quite a few users use the shroud of criticism to basically act like colossal assholes towards random strangers on the internet. (If a 'critique' includes insinuations as to the artist's personal character then something has gone horribly awry.)

  8. #28
    Senior Tybby's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Tybalt
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Land of Emotions and Photons
    Gender
    Moist
    Posts
    224
    I think Onnes is really smart because her(?) posts are generally very wise

  9. #29
    Solifugid Onnes's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Onnes
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    321
    Why thank you! I'm rather hoping this place develops a less vitriolic character than its forerunners.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    Why thank you! I'm rather hoping this place develops a less vitriolic character than its forerunners.
    To be fair, the biggest forerunner of Weasyl is the way it is due to people being sick of the craziness that goes on at that forum's main site. Too many looney tunes making people annoyed and cynical.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •