Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: So....What can I do?

I agree with the commenting. As an artist, it's really apprecited. Even then, creating character to either roleplay with or just have fun with does help spice up activity. For example requesting or commissioning artists would really help out as well.

Weasyl
    N/A
    The first thing that comes to mind is comment. SoFurry even made the Ambassadors project to help people comment and give them the tools to find people that need comments. On a related note, give critique. Just complimenting people is nice but not always that helpful. The fandom needs more criticism and more ability to take criticism. That's only going to happen if there are people that bother to critique authors and artists' work.
    "If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
    ~John Stuart Mill~

Furry News: http://www.flayrah.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rakuen Growlithe View Post
    The first thing that comes to mind is comment. SoFurry even made the Ambassadors project to help people comment and give them the tools to find people that need comments. On a related note, give critique. Just complimenting people is nice but not always that helpful. The fandom needs more criticism and more ability to take criticism. That's only going to happen if there are people that bother to critique authors and artists' work.
    ...Ah...if the artist WANTS criticism. Some people can't handle even the kindest critique that emphasizes the positives of their pieces instead of the negatives. So yeah, Weasyl's Critique Wanted feature is really important.

Weasyl
    Tango
    Eh, I'm trying all those approaches. Just kinda demoralizing a lot of the time.
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercougar View Post
    ...Ah...if the artist WANTS criticism. Some people can't handle even the kindest critique that emphasizes the positives of their pieces instead of the negatives. So yeah, Weasyl's Critique Wanted feature is really important.
    I agree but disagree.

I definitely agree about the criticism sensitivity. As a former administrator (for four years) on a large oekaki that had a specific standard and required tryouts to be allowed to draw there, I have given, seen, and received many critiques and even wrote an entire guide on how to appropriately critique a work without being overly negative or give the wrong impression about what you mean to say. And far too often I saw the tryouters just flip over simple critique. I really do wish more artists could embrace the real meaning and intentions of a good, fair critique.

Now for my disagreement. The Crit Wanted feature. I believe this feature is severely abused. After doing some front page "stalking" to see what exactly pops up in that little section, I've see many things that just should not be there. I have seen images that not only were not drawn by a user, but but the user doesn't even link back to the person who drew it for them. I have seen artists upload an entire comic and every page of the comic they uploaded is listed under "Critique Wanted". And just a few days ago, worst thing I have seen, someone was using the Crit Wanted feature to advertise their work- I kid you not, the title of the image said "FOR SALE". (And hey, found another one just now by refreshing the front page a few times)

It angers me and makes me sad at the same time. Angry because people are blatantly abusing the feature to showcase artwork which is not even remotely proper for the feature and sad because there truly are artists out there that are desperate for critiques and wanting to improve but because of other peoples' poor judgment/intentions their work is not as seen as often as I believe it should be.

ANYWAYS. Not to drift too far off topic. Comment comment comment! Best thing you could do. Be supportive and encouraging, and give a critique once in a while if you feel comfortable doing so (don't feel pressured to give a critique if you are unsure about it).

EDIT: I understand the feature was created with the best intentions, but unfortunately I don't think it's working as well as hoped.
    Last edited by Tiger; 01-29-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercougar View Post
    I don't really think it matters much if that's what the artist wants or not. The people that want criticism are seldom the people who actually need it. If we accept only giving criticism when people want it then we're saying we are happy to accept mediocrity and are not interested in trying to be better. That's not something I want and it's something I want to prevent. The issue of criticism is about far more than just the artist and what he wants, it's about a mindset for society, it's about our desires for the fandom and it's about the people that are involved in viewing and creating both that and other pieces of art. I've already said a lot about the topic on Flayrah and there's even better discussions in the comments section there.
    "If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
    ~John Stuart Mill~

Weasyl
    Tango
    I think some of you are confusing criticism with critique. Critique is something that is wanted. The artist wants to improve so they flag it to be viewed. I'm a new writer so I do this. I want to improve. Criticism is something you get whether you want it or not and there are a lot of critics out there. There is even an entire profession called 'movie critic' that does just that.

Sanita
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #18
    Weasyl
    Aden
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Now for my disagreement. The Crit Wanted feature. I believe this feature is severely abused. After doing some front page "stalking" to see what exactly pops up in that little section, I've see many things that just should not be there. I have seen images that not only were not drawn by a user, but but the user doesn't even link back to the person who drew it for them. I have seen artists upload an entire comic and every page of the comic they uploaded is listed under "Critique Wanted". And just a few days ago, worst thing I have seen, someone was using the Crit Wanted feature to advertise their work- I kid you not, the title of the image said "FOR SALE". (And hey, found another one just now by refreshing the front page a few times)

Brought this to the attention of some of the mainsite staff. Hopefully we'll get some stricter rules in place for this section

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanita View Post
    I think some of you are confusing criticism with critique. Critique is something that is wanted. The artist wants to improve so they flag it to be viewed. I'm a new writer so I do this. I want to improve. Criticism is something you get whether you want it or not and there are a lot of critics out there. There is even an entire profession called 'movie critic' that does just that.
    Someone did bring that up before, though looking now the difference isn't all that clear and the words can, for the most part, be switched between with no issues. The only real difference is probably the connotation, with criticism having a more negative connotation. It's not that one is desired and the other isn't. A critique is just a single incidence of criticism.
    ~John Stuart Mill~

Weasyl
    Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuen Growlithe View Post
    Someone did bring that up before, though looking now the difference isn't all that clear and the words can, for the most part, be switched between with no issues. The only real difference is probably the connotation, with criticism having a more negative connotation. It's not that one is desired and the other isn't. A critique is just a single incidence of criticism.
    I see how they could be interchanged but for what I'm talking about one is wanted and the other is given regardless. But that's just me.

Sanita