Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: So....What can I do?

Weasyl
    Tango

So....What can I do?

I made a journal about this but post here as well since I am kinda trying to get some ideas and maximum coverage is nice for that.

Anyway, I saw the comment left by Aden on my last journal about becoming 'more active' to make the community more vibrant. Okay, game on! I have a problem though. This is an art site and I suck at art. I can't draw. I can't write.

My musical ability ends at pressing play on my MP3 player.

I would try to get on the mod squad but I seriously doubt that will ever happen since I'm pretty much the Gilbert Gottfried of the site. Therefore, I'm open to suggestions.

Got any?

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Watch people, comment on stuff, be friendly and give advice. Those are all small things that end up helping quite a bit, I think!

Weasyl
    Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    Watch people, comment on stuff, be friendly and give advice. Those are all small things that end up helping quite a bit, I think!
    That could work...

...or I can just post whatever demented thoughts wander through my brain at any given time! That would be far more entertaining!

Thanks Fiz, I think I see the path before me. <3

Weasyl
    Tiger
    To me, comments are a huge part of the success of any site, not just Weasyl. I always leave a comment when I favorite an artwork, to show how much I really do like the piece. And I always appreciate any comments I get, as they are thoughtful and encouraging to me. You could also browse through artworks and find art styles and techniques you like, then practice drawing those techniques to "hone" your art skills, so to speak.

Weasyl
    Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    . You could also browse through artworks and find art styles and techniques you like, then practice drawing those techniques to "hone" your art skills, so to speak.
    It's all fun and games until you find yourself on Artist-Beware! (just kidding)

I do try to do that when I find a submission I like. it's just that since I don't draw or make anything myself I almost feel like it's a case of 'Oh? What do -you- know? You don't make anything!'. So yeah.

You don't have to be an artist yourself to have an artist feel validated by your compliment. Say what you like and the artist will take heart/disregard what you say as they wish. That part isn't on you. Anyway, you seem to be one of the more entertaining people on the forums, so make sure you keep chattering away here, too. And frankly, as a Premium member, if you never did anything else for this site you would've already done more than enough to support it.

Weasyl
    Flygon
    Comments are Gold. Artists are constantly starved of them, and one knows people are actually looking at their work if there's a comment attached.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    If simple compliments on submissions can make the community more vibrant then just imagine what creepy compliments could do.

Weasyl
    Tybalt
    Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    If simple compliments on submissions can make the community more vibrant then just imagine what creepy compliments could do.
    Creepy comments are literally an art form

They should be cherished and treasured for their dadaist approach to communication being a human being

I definitely agree with the people recommending you comment more. If people upload and never get feedback, they just tend to leave after a while. It's disheartening. Everyone wants to hear that people like your stuff! Artists especially will LOVE YOU if you regularly comment with thoughtful comments (not just 'nice' or 'sexy' or something) and the attention will help keep them interested in the site itself.