Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Weasyl
    Tango

The price of being vegan

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...e-truth-quinoa

I shouldn't laugh but I do. Sorry, self righteous vegans piss me off. Keep your hipster eating habits out of my kitchen.

I honestly don't think that's a fair criticism, Tango. Everyone does things in their daily lives that may have unknown negative effects at home or somewhere else. Who hasn't thrown away an aluminum can when they could've thrown it in a recycle bin, or (for first world residents) bought some trinket that was made in a southeast Asian sweatshop? If you're going to criticize vegans, you shouldn't do it on things that every person in an industrialized nation participates in.

Weasyl
    Tango
    I think it is a very fair criticism, actually. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercougar View Post
    I honestly don't think that's a fair criticism, Tango. Everyone does things in their daily lives that may have unknown negative effects at home or somewhere else. Who hasn't thrown away an aluminum can when they could've thrown it in a recycle bin, or (for first world residents) bought some trinket that was made in a southeast Asian sweatshop? If you're going to criticize vegans, you shouldn't do it on things that every person in an industrialized nation participates in.
    Slightly agreed, but that may be in part because of the inflammatory way that Tango presented his opinions. x)

On one hand, much of the general public is ignorant about what goes into their products and where said products come from, so it is a tad unfair that he comes down so hard on vegans, but really if you're going so far as to want to be a more conscious consumer and be good to the Earth, then why not go all the way and help protect your fellow human as well?

I do agree that its horrible that these people have been pushed out of their staple food source, and ironically they're all but forced to eat the junk food that the people importing the grain are trying to avoid eating, and that there should be something done about it but just as there are self-righteous, pushy, and egotistical vegans out there (PETA, anyone?), there are ones that don't really give a care what you eat, so long as you respect their decisions, and its a real sticking point for me when people bash em, because many of my friends, and my sister choose that lifestyle.

Sort of on topic, this is a website that I heard about awhile ago called "Slavery Footprint" where you take a survey on what kind of things you consume in your daily life, and it shows how many slaves work for you, people in impoverished countries that work for peanuts and can't even afford the things that they work to make, and how you can help them.

http://slaveryfootprint.org/
    Last edited by NamelessTraveler; 01-18-2013 at 01:52 AM.

Weasyl
    Tango
    I don't care what people eat, just don't try and slap the sandwich out of my hands. The thing is this food fad is fucking a region up. And for what? A food grain that doesn't taste all that great with a higher price because it's imported, and that no one here in the States would give a shit about except that it's exotic and trendy.

They are not practicing healthy food practices. They are practicing fashion.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    The way I am interpreting the article, none of it is trying to force you into being a vegan. It is not that vegans consider themselves any "better" than people who have other tastes in foods besides theirs. this article is about the ugly economy and is making the point that in fact, in some places around the world vegans are massively struggling because of big business. It's not like anyone intended for this to happen, but unfortunately it looks like very few people are trying to solve the problem.

Nor do I see anywhere that makes vegans self-righteous, unless you're talking about the foreign vegans (when I foreign vegans I am referring to the vegans in other countries eating the staple foods) eating the quinoa or asparagus or whatever. I'm towards the idea that the foreigners have no idea that their expensive grain is causing massive issues in countries and communities far less lavish than our own.

So don't say things like, "I don't care what people eat, just don't try and slap the sandwich out of my hands." or "Sorry, self righteous vegans piss me off. Keep your hipster eating habits out of my kitchen." The only people doing wrong here are the big businesses that don't give a shit about what they're doing. Don't blame the vegans for an economy that they don't even realize is unstable.

Weasyl
    Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    The way I am interpreting the article, none of it is trying to force you into being a vegan. It is not that vegans consider themselves any "better" than people who have other tastes in foods besides theirs. this article is about the ugly economy and is making the point that in fact, in some places around the world vegans are massively struggling because of big business. It's not like anyone intended for this to happen, but unfortunately it looks like very few people are trying to solve the problem.

Nor do I see anywhere that makes vegans self-righteous, unless you're talking about the foreign vegans (when I foreign vegans I am referring to the vegans in other countries eating the staple foods) eating the quinoa or asparagus or whatever. I'm towards the idea that the foreigners have no idea that their expensive grain is causing massive issues in countries and communities far less lavish than our own.

So don't say things like, "I don't care what people eat, just don't try and slap the sandwich out of my hands." or "Sorry, self righteous vegans piss me off. Keep your hipster eating habits out of my kitchen." The only people doing wrong here are the big businesses that don't give a shit about what they're doing. Don't blame the vegans for an economy that they don't even realize is unstable.

You're one of them, aren't you? Heretic! Unbeliever!!! (j/k)

Nah, I think your statements are correct but...it's just so fun my way. Unfair yes, but still fun.

Weasyl
    oly
    I think it's more of a case of blaming just the asshole self-rightious vegans, not the ones who are respectful. ;U

I'm no vegan but I avoid a lot of foods, I have eaten almost nothing frozen in the past half a year(the frozen stuff I have eaten was just because it was free, a bag of veggies and one or two of fries/tater tots), i try to avoid anything with preservatives in it if I can. And when the topic of food comes up hell yeah I'll talk about those choices, but if someone doesn't want to hear it fine whatever no biggie, and if I see someone eating frozen high-fructose corn syrup and MSG laden pre-portioned crap, I don't get mad at them or butt in, it's their fuckin' choice.

And there's plenty of vegans like that too. But those aren't the ones you hear about, precisely BECAUSE they keep to their own fucking business. You hear about the assholes who assault people because they're eating meat and go on tirades and get hugely offended, make a stink, dumbasses who are proud to be 'militant vegans', the extremist of PETA and that kinda thing who feel the need to be dickheads about it.

Or even aside from that, the people who just act smug and righteous about it. My choices, I'm happy to talk about, but I don't put forth that I'm right about everything or even that I understand everything, or that you're stupid for not making the same choices. I might say the reasons why you don't make the same choices are dumb, or just ignorant, but it's your body so what the fuck does my opinion matter? Some people look down on you, or treat you like an idiot for not making the same choices as you. And THAT is some well bullshit right there. And that's the kind of person Tango is talking about. The kind of shithead who thinks they're so much better for eating their quinoa and couscous and tofu or whatever trendy thing, and lord it over you, when in reality they don't even actually fucking understand where it comes from, why it is supposedly better, what the potential drawbacks are...

It's absolutely right to say that everything has the potential - and probably does have - some negative side. And if you realize that it's your responsibility to educate yourself about it and try to mitigate it as much as you can. It's your responsibility to give a fuck about how the choices you make effect other people and things.

I'm not saying everyone should be perfect (and I sure as fuck don't think I am), just that if you don't put that effort forth to at least try to understand and to try not to cause harm where possible, you aren't being the best person you could be. And lording your choices over people when you don't even fully understand - or even try to understand - the consequences, that is being a shitty person.

This assumes that vegans are the only people eating quinoa (I know plenty of non-vegans who do) and that vegans are the only ones who have problematic eating preferences. To be honest many of us probably consume something that is produced unethically and exploits a marginalized group or country of people.