Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Multiple Avatars?

Multiple Avatars?

This is just a random idea that I keep wishing other art sites would do :O

Do you think it's possible to have interchangeable avatars, where you can choose which avatar to use with each comment? Kinda like Livejournal, basically! I figure on a site where people comment back and forth a lot, it would be kinda fun to have some different avatars to use depending on what you're saying.

Maybe this isn't possible, or it's a big hassle, since there must be a good reason why no place but livejournal does this.

Just wondering what people think about that, and maybe see if it's possible to get that feature on here, since it's still growing

Weasyl
    Sparky15756
    I doubt it's possible on forums, even impossible if I'm honest.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Personally, I'd be way confused. Keeping track of who's commenting when they may use 3 or 4 different avatars over the course of a thread would be kind of overwhelming, at least for me.

Oh, I didn't necessarily mean on the forums, like on the main site most of all :O

But yeah, I always wonder why it can't be done, either way. Not like I get upset that it isn't done, but just generally curious

Weasyl
    Sparky15756
    I don't think it'd be possible for it to be done on the main site either, people would be confused to who is who as most of the time people just look at avatars and not the name.

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
    anything is possible; it's certainly a very easy thing from just a technical standpoint. honestly I'm not sure why someone would consider a feature like this "impossible".

I personally am not a fan of the idea just because it does become more difficult to at-a-glance keep track of the users participating in a comment thread. either way, it's unlikely to get on the todo list anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by weykent View Post
    anything is possible; it's certainly a very easy thing from just a technical standpoint. honestly I'm not sure why someone would consider a feature like this "impossible".

I personally am not a fan of the idea just because it does become more difficult to at-a-glance keep track of the users participating in a comment thread. either way, it's unlikely to get on the todo list anytime soon.
    Thanks for replying!
    That's good to know, at least. But I guess I am one of the very few that would enjoy that kind of an option lol. I just love making and using icons for certain subjects of a comment, but I understand if most people don't see the point

Weasyl
    Flygon
    Just my 5 cents (we got rid of 2 cents in Australia over a decade ago :p), I'm actually a fan of selectable avatars per-post. A site I used to staff at, TASVideos, had this as a feature, and it was quite useful. It was most often used for selecting the user's 'mood' for the post (hence, why the feature was called mood avatars). Most users that had access to the feature tended to heap consistency with the feature... partially because all abusing it would do is upset other users.

Basically, I'm for, at the very least, trialing the idea and seeing how it goes from there.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    Just my 5 cents (we got rid of 2 cents in Australia over a decade ago :p), I'm actually a fan of selectable avatars per-post. A site I used to staff at, TASVideos, had this as a feature, and it was quite useful. It was most often used for selecting the user's 'mood' for the post (hence, why the feature was called mood avatars). Most users that had access to the feature tended to heap consistency with the feature... partially because all abusing it would do is upset other users.

Basically, I'm for, at the very least, trialing the idea and seeing how it goes from there.
    As far as moods behinds posts, there's still the emotes like and then you have extra typed emotes, like c: :T o_o; xD
    The way I see it, there is still an effective way to display the current mood of the poster. without needing to use a different avatar per mood.

I still feel like it would be immensely confusing for someone like me- but that's just me, I can't speak for the other members. But I would like to ask, when people did that on the site you mentioned, did all their avatars have one theme? If I were to do it I'd do all images of my fursona. However, what if someone were to use a ton of different, non-related avatars? That's my main reason why I'd be confused.
    Last edited by Tiger; 01-19-2013 at 12:24 AM.

Weasyl
    GingerM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I still feel like it would be immensely confusing for someone like me- but that's just me, I can't speak for the other members. But I would like to ask, when people did that on the site you mentioned, did all their avatars have one theme? If I were to do it I'd do all images of my fursona. However, what if someone were to use a ton of different, non-related avatars? That's my main reason why I'd be confused.
    Perhaps this is something that might be a Premium-only feature? Speaking for myself, I would probably use such a feature as you would - different images, probably head shots, of my OCs. But at the risk of sounding like I'm lecturing, just because a speculative user might use such a feature to have wildly unrelated icons seems like a rather weak reason to not give it a whirl. My own experience with this capability on LiveJournal is that the vast majority of people tend to use avatars that are related in some way, and that they also tend to favour one or two avatars over the others they may have.

Another variation would be how it's done on SoFurry; users can upload multiple avatars and the system automatically cycles through them. It also includes the ability to flag those avatars as being 'everyone' or 'adult', and if someone doesn't want or isn't allowed to see adult content, the slideshow simply skips over those avatars.
    FA: GINGERM | RHIANNON ~ SOFURRY ~ FUTANARI PALACE ~ RENDEROTICA
    WEASYL ~ DEVIANTART ~ HENTAI FOUNDRY ~ WIKIFUR
    Live life to the fullest, love with a full heart.