Weasyl
    JustinMoore

Music Tips, Tricks, and Advice

To all of my fellow furry musicians, here is your place to ask and answer questions about music, composition, recording, playing, performing, and anything else about the art of music!

^.=.^

What Id like to know: Is anyone on this site trying to learn proper musical notation? In my brief fling with musical composition I was.

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3
    Weasyl
    Aden
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercougar View Post
    What Id like to know: Is anyone on this site trying to learn proper musical notation? In my brief fling with musical composition I was.
    Had to when I started learning violin several months ago. It's not all that bad (especially easy for violin because of its small octave range). Gonna come in real handy once I start getting classical guitar lessons, too, since I've always been a tablature person.

What seemed to work quickly for me was memorizing a few key notes (e.g. C, G, C, F on the treble clef) and then counting up or down from those for new notes. It's very slow at first—realtime sight reading was absolutely out—but you fill in the gaps and get up to speed the more you practice. Most important thing is to consistently keep practicing reading music so it's always fresh in your mind, just like how you'd learn a language.
    Last edited by Aden; 01-06-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Weasyl
    JustinMoore
    I also learned a great deal about notation through piano lessons and choir, but I've lost that skill through lack of practice as of late. Most of my knowledge lies in composition and theory rather than actual notation, but I agree with Aden's comparison to learning a new language. Just keep practicing and repeating.

Weasyl
    sebkad
    Can you tell me pls what is the best software for recording guitar songs? I'm using AVS Audio Editor now but because of my mic, quality is rather weak... (you can hear it at my weasyl profile) Is there any way to improve it without buying better mic? (Unfortunately I don't have cash for it :/)

Weasyl
    Dark
    Nope. Music class actually accomplished the opposite effect, considering the teacher made theory and notation incredibly boring.

Weasyl
    Algorithmus
    I learned it when I played the piano. But having formal training as a mathematician, I view musical notation like math, and have no problems with it theoretically. If you find it fun because it's like math, counterpoint is where all the fun is at.

Site reading does require practice though.