Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Zalcoti
    The front page is too horizontal. Dividing the page vertically could be an option and won't leave the critique section below the fold. It might also help the thumbnail problem. Instead of rows, have them "stack" against each other in a visually pleasing way. You can have all the different ratios out there and still look good. This probably means making the thumbnails bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Aden View Post
    Hey KitFox, greatly appreciate the input. We're going to have The Big Discussion soon amongst the technical staff about revamping our thumbnails, and I think most of us agree that non-square thumbs are going to be the better path going forward. I'm already planning on ripping out and replacing how thumbnails and their tooltips are handled on the front end, but there will likely need to be a good amount of rewrites on the back-end thumb stuff as well to accommodate better overall thumbs. The bad news is that it might be a little while yet; the good news is that it's definitely a planned item.

Thanks again, and if you have any additional ideas or wants relating to this, please share!
    12/28/2012 - approaching 2 years ago.

Any news or ETA for this....I still find Weasyl effectively useless as a site to browse artwork due to the thumbnail system. I check back in every few months hoping to see something new and functional or at least to find a setting somewhere in the control panel to let me see minature versions of the full, uncropped images.

I haven't given up...but I can't use the site as it is because of the thumbnail system.

Four days to two years and this is still an issue.
    I would LOVE to see this site succeed.
    I would love to see the "Users active in the past day" even meet the "Users currently active on FA".

With things like this driving people away for now two plus years, I don't know if my desires will ever be filled.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #44

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Changing thumbnails requires a massive amount of backend coding and UI changes, as well as other things as needing to generate new thumbnails for every submission. It is being worked on, we just ask that people be patient. We know it's extremely frustrating and we apologize for that. We just want to make sure it's done the right way.

Weasyl
    Noxid
    in the meantime.. if you don't think the thumbnails provide enough information for you, then you could use my Weasyl Enhancer extension for chrome/firefox. It provides description previews when you mouse-over the thumb, and shows tags. I'm also planning to add a medium-view image preview option like some people have asked
    [/shamelessplug]

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    I've encountered a thumbnail bug.
    I have my filters set so I can't see explicit art. But I am able to see the thumbnail on an explicit piece in the submission notifications.
    I clicked on it and I got the "you aren't allowed to see this because filters" message.
    Not seeing this anywhere else on the site.
    Here's a screenshot: (NSFW) http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/...psz07bcfu9.png

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #47

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by TealMoon View Post
    I've encountered a thumbnail bug.
    I have my filters set so I can't see explicit art. But I am able to see the thumbnail on an explicit piece in the submission notifications.
    I clicked on it and I got the "you aren't allowed to see this because filters" message.
    Not seeing this anywhere else on the site.
    Here's a screenshot: (NSFW) http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/...psz07bcfu9.png
    Do you have your filter set to see Mature art though?

I misclicked while uploading that and made it Mature initially, fixed it to be Explicit a while later.

If so then it landed in your inbox as Mature and it didn't remove when it got a rating change, which is a known issue I believe.

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    Do you have your filter set to see Mature art though?

I misclicked while uploading that and made it Mature initially, fixed it to be Explicit a while later.

If so then it landed in your inbox as Mature and it didn't remove when it got a rating change, which is a known issue I believe.
    That must be it then, as I can see all but Explicit art.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #49

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by TealMoon View Post
    That must be it then, as I can see all but Explicit art.
    Yea it's that known issue then. If a submission lands in an inbox and has it's rating changed to something a user doesn't have enabled, it doesn't update the inbox since it's already landed in there.

Sorry about that though, my bad with the misrating.

I would think that this issue would have been prioritized so that it wouldn't take several years before it was fixed, considering how big a deal thumbnails are to an art gallery site.