Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Weasyl
    Runefox
    I'm a proponent of having a fixed size in one dimension - Height being the most obvious - to allow for multiple aspect ratios while remaining mostly organized at a uniform size (unlike a certain other art site). It's the best compromise between layout legibility and thumbnail quality in my opinion.

Heh, this thread sure put a smile on my face about an issue relevant to me.

Notably, other sites will allow custom thumbnails, but for the most part you have to create the correct file on your local computer.

Just like making a flare looks better when done by hand for the image instead of using the lens flare filter - primarily because if done by hand and it looks bad, it's generally not done - custom thumbnails work better when done by hand in very specific cases. And just like the lens flare filter's ease of use created a massive overdose of horrid lens flares, the thumbnail cropper's ease of use here does the same. They should call it a "teaser generator" or more accurately an "Icon generator", because it makes it look like all the art will be just icons of heads more often than not.

The thumbnails here are 125x125 forced ratio. FA picked up 150 max and all thumbnails are still contained inside a space that ensures they will all center with each other in rows and columns regardless of their size.

"Thumbnails are reduced-size versions of pictures, used to help in recognizing and organizing them, serving the same role for images as a normal text index does for words."
    Teasers are heavily-cropped versions of pictures meant to force the viewer to click to see what the full content is and should be enticing in their limited content to encourage further examination.

The current common content of the small images here are neither thumbnails (they don't show an accurate depiction of the whole image) nor teasers (the red or yellow edges will do more to get people to click than the random O face head will).

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #34

Weasyl
    Fiz
    I'm just gonna pin this and make this the designated "scream at our tits about the thumbnail system" thread, since we really, really don't need any further singular threads about this issue.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I will say that square thumbnails are detrimental to widescreen aspect ratios, especially with art.

Thumbnails that posses blacklisted tags are appearing on the front page.

Although it may be a special case, so far it's been things that either weren't tagged fully yet (and I added a tag), or they are things that I decided to add to my blacklist cause I was tired of seeing them.

So it may just be my browser cache? I don't really know, either way things with tags that are blacklisted still appear on the front page under certain situations.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #37

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post

Although it may be a special case, so far it's been things that either weren't tagged fully yet (and I added a tag), or they are things that I decided to add to my blacklist cause I was tired of seeing them.

So it may just be my browser cache? I don't really know, either way things with tags that are blacklisted still appear on the front page under certain situations.
    Do they eventually get blocked by your blacklist, like a few minutes after you properly add their tag?

If so I think that's normal, since submissions cycle every few minutes.

If not, there might be a bug happening.

They do eventually get blocked by the blacklist yes, although I can't say for sure if it's just after a few minutes, or because new images pushed them off the front page.

Sorry I can't give much more information on it.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post

it takes two minutes for attributes of frontpage images to update. the frontpage is requested often, so this is an optimization thing.

Now that the system is set up to skip the thumbnail creation screen by default, things have gotten even worse. I'm seeing mainly thumbnails that are painfully obviously snipped from the middle of a tall or wide image, frequently of a character's disembodied torso. There had really, really better be plans to not only overhaul the system but discard all existing thumbnails in favor of whatever the new system generates. Like what FurAffinity did when they went to large thumbs.