Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thumbnail system failures

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Weasyl
    Aden
    Hey KitFox, greatly appreciate the input. We're going to have The Big Discussion soon amongst the technical staff about revamping our thumbnails, and I think most of us agree that non-square thumbs are going to be the better path going forward. I'm already planning on ripping out and replacing how thumbnails and their tooltips are handled on the front end, but there will likely need to be a good amount of rewrites on the back-end thumb stuff as well to accommodate better overall thumbs. The bad news is that it might be a little while yet; the good news is that it's definitely a planned item.

Thanks again, and if you have any additional ideas or wants relating to this, please share!

Weasyl
    Hlavco
    I've seen lots of posts about this, but this one was by far the most entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Hlavco View Post
    I've seen lots of posts about this, but this one was by far the most entertaining.
    Thank you. I try. I guess I could reveal my cause for my writing style by griping that the site doesn't really handle written work very well, but that would give away the fact that I write, which would be bad.

I like to give excellent supporting evidence for my cases. Hmmm... Just looking at the front page now, I could get some delightful "What Thumb Is That Anyway?!" content. I should start a thread that just contains the referenced thumbnails and guessing-game style stuff. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Aden View Post
    We're going to have The Big Discussion soon amongst the technical staff about revamping our thumbnails, and I think most of us agree that non-square thumbs are going to be the better path going forward. I'm already planning on replacing how thumbnails and their tooltips are handled on the front end, but there will likely need to be a good amount of rewrites on the back-end thumb stuff as well to accommodate better overall thumbs. The bad news is that it might be a little while yet; the good news is that it's definitely a planned item.

Thanks again, and if you have any additional ideas or wants relating to this, please share!

Any News? I would love to make better use of Weasyl, but the Force Cropped, Square Thumbnails just make for an extremely frustrating experience as there is NO way to tell what the full image will contain.
    Last edited by Spotz; 07-07-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Seven months later. No change. I don't think we should hold our breath. Either the site has enough good to make you want to use it despite the way thumbnails work, or it doesn't. I come back to peek and see every once in a while, but I can't really be considered an active user because I don't. The thumbnails make the site too unusable for me, so I stick to FA and IB for viewing and SF for posting.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Sorry about the late reply. Unfortunately there's going to be further delay with the thumbnail system overhaul; Aden has been quite busy lately with other matters. Last I heard it's still being worked on, it's just going to take a while longer. Thanks for being patient.

Weasyl
    Ben
    To be fair, it is entirely up to the user whether or not they want to make a thumbnail that close-up; if they want to make just about the whole picture visible, they're certainly allowed to. After all, even if we didn't have such a system in place, people can very well just do that same crop-job on Paint, and upload the thumbnail.

The reason people usually crop things like that is to entice you to click them so you can see the full thing. Yes, you might not know what the full piece will look like, but if it's something that offends your sensibilities, then one can always use the tag filtering system. However, people do not tag their things correctly all the time-- As such, I'd say a much more dire solution needed here would be a system to ensure the proper upkeep of tags, so filtering actually works. As it is, the way the thumbnail system works now is most ideal. From what I can gather, the real concern is not wanting to click a thumbnail, and see something triggering/horridly offensive to your tastes that shouldn't have ever been visible in the first place, and that's probably what should be focused on.

Weasyl
    xarg
    Quote Originally Posted by KitFox View Post
    Seven months later. No change. I don't think we should hold our breath. Either the site has enough good to make you want to use it despite the way thumbnails work, or it doesn't. I come back to peek and see every once in a while, but I can't really be considered an active user because I don't. The thumbnails make the site too unusable for me, so I stick to FA and IB for viewing and SF for posting.
    Pretty much registered on the forums just to say "this". I've been popping on and off the site since it was invite only, and for a long time I had hope that something would come of it. Over the whole time I've been here the issue outlined above is pretty much the main thing killing the site for me and many others. It's just not fun to browse art when the thumbnails are the equivalent of a misleadingly typed out text link in regard to their informational value. They hardly give out any clue about the contents of the image and even when they do, it works rather poorly.

The tag filter doesn't have anything to do with this issue. Users like me aren't afraid of seeing something they don't want to see, we're afraid of wasting our time having to click on everything just to see what's going on in the image. Navigation should not be blind especially when you are browsing artwork to skim for things you might like.

This is very closely related to what was said about "mystery meat navigation" in another thread here.

Hopefully this issue will be taken off the back burner and finally resolved, since it is a major usability and user experience problem. It shouldn't take an year to tackle something like this. Not if you want to fulfill the site's promises as being a worthwhile competitor to a certain other art site.
    Last edited by xarg; 12-17-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: lulz, typo

Weasyl
    Ransom