Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The BOOKS thread!

Weasyl
    ferret

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #22
    Weasyl
    Taw
    I have moved this thread over from Entertainment to the Writing and Literature section that was newly created.

As for books that I enjoy, I just read Mercy by David Kessler. Was quite a good read, though I sort of predicted the ending halfway through.

Weasyl
    Masonaut
    I'm going to make a note to keep an eye out for Book of the New Sun.
    A book that I really enjoyed recently was Veteran by Gavin Smith. It takes place in a dark dystopian future with interstellar colonial marine/xeno themes... but it is laced with some interesting characters that together make it a hilarious read. I laughed out loud so many times and couldn't put it down.

Weasyl
    oly

Weasyl
    Border Walker
    Well, not counting "Ethical Slut" which is more a real life application book instead of a fiction piece, last book I finished reading was Wolf Boy. Interesting little story about a family coping with life after they lose the eldest brother in a car crash, and the younger brother's coping via writing comic stories.

What I'm working on now though, slowly, is book 5 In Stephen King's Dark Tower Series, "Wolves of The Callah". I plan to eventually finish this series, and I now actually own book 5 and six, though instead of picking up seven last time I went book shopping, I grabbed "The Stand". Stephen King, not gonna lie, is my favorite author so yeah >_>

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    Damn, I used to devour books nonstop back in grade school but I've slowed down somewhat. I still like taking trips to the library though and I really need to get back in the habit of reading more. I've just been so busy lately, hah.

Currently trying to finish The Stranger by Max Frei. This book almost defies genre; it's fantasy, but it has this edge of whimsical satire and it's almost noir-ish in parts that makes it hard to pin down. Some readers may find it reminiscent of Harry Potter (but better and far more mature). The characters and setting are just so...out there. I love it.

Back in grade school I used to read all the time. Harry Potter was a definite fave :p And Eragon, of course. Then I took a break from reading for a while and now I'm reading Animorphs. Yeah, pretty simple in terms of reading, but l read it when I was younger and loved it, and now that I can read it with a mature mind, I'm really noticing a lot. It's really a well developed story. ^^

I was about to make a books thread until I came upon here, so! This needs to be bumped back to the top.

Anyway, I was very sad to recently learn that Tom Clancy had passed away back in October, so for the holidays I ended up getting the rest of his Ryan novels as gifts (I lost touch with reading during college). I finally picked up Dead or Alive the other day and started reading a bit every night, and it has absolutely smashed my writer's block and given me a ton of fresh, new ideas to work with.

Weasyl
    TheLexicon
    I used to be an avid reader when I was younger, though now I've been too busy/distracted to read as much anymore. I have a ton of books I'm excited to read, too, especially this complete collection of Edgar Allan Poe's work I found at a bookstore today.

Currently crawling through the second book in the Wheel of Time series, a collection of Lovecraft's stories, and The Geek's Guide to Dating by Eric Smith (check it out if you want to laugh at nerdy references and get decent dating advice).

I've always read fantasy, but now I'm hoping to get into more science fiction and horror/macabre. Have Frank Herbert's Dune series, the first three books of Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, and now I've just added a massive collection of short stories and poems by Edgar Allan Poe. Also want to read more surreal literature, any recommendations?