Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The BOOKS thread!

Weasyl
    oly

The BOOKS thread!

Books are AWESOME and if you deny it, you're lying because you're jealous of just how awesome books really are.

I have like 20 books out from work(a library) right now, at teh moment I'm working on getting through Gene Wolfe's The Book Of The New Sun. It's a pretty damn awesome sci-fi type thingy set many years in the future, after humanity has been all out in space and back and has entered a decline, around the time the sun has started dying. It's very long but exceptionally well written.

I also have two Kurt Vonnegut books, some stuff abotu trees, shrubs, plants and general camping in the British Columbia area, A Clockwork Orange, Joseph Heller's Closing Time(the sequel to Catch-22) and oh gosh a few others... plus I got a book about Andy Warhol from my landlady for christmas!

Aaand finally I have been poking at a book about C++ programming.

SO WHAT ABOUT YOU!? What have ya'll been reading? LET'S HAVE IT!

Weasyl
    Tybalt
    I recently picked up "The Alchemaster's Apprentice" by Walter Moers at the Barnes and Noble on my visit to the states, on recommendation from a friend

So far it's pretty awesome, I'm really in love with the writer's style. The book is a mature fantasy read, in the guise of a children's novel. The writer plays with and explores many of the tropes arising in a childrens work while using mature, and sometimes adult, themes and vocabulary.

I'd rec to all the people

:]

Weasyl
    HiddenCinnamon
    I'm reading Jeet Thayil's Narcopolis -ᴥ-

Between work and hobbies I don't have time for reading books anymore. (Well it's really more like my interest has turned to reading news and pop culture commentary sites). Back when I was an avid reader, I read a lot of the 19th century classics. Anne of Green Gables, Black Beauty, various works by Mark Twain. The old-timey prose that most people find pretentious I find relaxing. These books would help lift me out of my bad moods.

Weasyl
    oly
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercougar View Post
    Between work and hobbies I don't have time for reading books anymore.
    heh, I feel the same way about movies now. it's hard for me to sit down and spend 1-3 hours just watching a movie - although I have no trouble doing it for certain tv shows that pique my itnerest(coughhackSUPERNATUALwheezehackcough)

anyway! I just finished the third book of The Book Of The New Sun, and goddamn it's excellent. There's been a few hardcore emotional moments so far... Terminus Est... Little Severian... and earlier, Thecla... needless to say I'll be cheaking out much more of Gene Wolfe's work after this.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    i used to read like CRAZY when i was younger. Don't read at all anymore, although my dad got me a book this Christmas called "10,000 Years of Art History" and I've been getting in to that one (although it's a nonfiction book rather than a fictional novel. Very interesting, though).

When I was in elementary/middle school I was obsessed with the fantasy genre, now I'm really into Sci-fi stuff. Although "Dark Lord of Derkholm" and the series remains my favorite book I've ever read. it's FANTASTIC and i highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy novels.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I've got a whole shelf of unread books. I just haven't been finding time to read the last few years... I still get them at a decent rate though. The last one I finished was Doomwhyte by Brian Jacques and a lot of my motivation to finish was to start Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre. I read nearly all of it last week, just got the afterword to go now. Really scary stuff.
    "If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
    ~John Stuart Mill~

Furry News: http://www.flayrah.com/

...Aaaaaaand I'm trying to get back into reading, with a furry novel no less. It's the first volume of Different Worlds, Different Skins.

Right now, I'm reading between some religious books, and A History of the World in Six Glasses.

Six Glasses is really interesting, because they kind of segment humankind's progress into different eras that each drink was prevalent, and show how each one molded our society. (And my sister had to read this for school... I wouldn't mind doing a book report on it if I had to. xD)

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Weasyl
    Aden
    Lately it seems that when I read a book lately, it's in the 'hard' sci-fi genre, which I've come to enjoy very much. My last few books were by an author named Alastair Reynolds.