Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Figure drawing

Figure drawing

Who among you has access to drawing from a live model? Do you leave the house to go to figure drawing class or do you just draw your roomates? Me, I live in a city big enough to have many drawing events, so I try to show up to one weekly at minimum. Its such a different experience from drawing from my head, I have to focus a lot but I like the challenge.

Weasyl
    oly
    I usually work from photographs when it comes to figure drawing.

not only is the town I live in now tiny and thus not much by way of that sort of program, but even teh bigger city I lived in before(125k people or so IIRC) had barely any art class type things going on, all I could really find was the very expensive fine art crap at the college. I don't want to pay 25 grand and spend four years studying art history or advanced design stuff, I just want to draw some fucking people for practice! x3

Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    I usually work from photographs when it comes to figure drawing.

not only is the town I live in now tiny and thus not much by way of that sort of program, but even teh bigger city I lived in before(125k people or so IIRC) had barely any art class type things going on, all I could really find was the very expensive fine art crap at the college. I don't want to pay 25 grand and spend four years studying art history or advanced design stuff, I just want to draw some fucking people for practice! x3

YUP! The last city I lived in had a population of 100,000, was a college town (frankly, THE college town in this state) and didn't even have an art group that wasn't tied directly to the university. I had to move to a metro area of several million to finally find the programs I was looking for.

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    Aden
    Really need to figure draw more (or draw more period). I don't have access to model drawing sessions for any kind of good price, so I just use online reference photo tools:

http://lovecastle.org/draw/
    http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/

Each has a built-in timer functionality that's good for setting a good gesture pace for yourself

Figure drawing in my opinion is the best way for me to get out of any rut with my art, whether it be just with my characters or inspiration, probably because its so excersicing.

I love doing figure drawings with a group and a model infront of us, but because we are all drawing the same thing, I find it hard to focus and I just compare myself to others because a lot of the sketches closely resemble each other, so I feel like drawing from online references is more comfortable by myself rather than a model but obviously not as good for me.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I have my roommate to draw but he has this condition where his chest grew outward so if I tried to use him as a reference for anyone other than an emaciated teen then...well I'd have problems. I don't really like referencing photos online because it just bugs the hell out of my eyes after a while.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

I love it, I can notice the improvement with every session and that little boost in confidence is great for breaking blocks. Though sadly the local sessions are run a bit flaky and I haven't managed to find one that suits my work hours, so I've been using the previously mentioned slideshow sites. However I've much more often found myself pausing videos and sketching out interesting actions or poses the actors are in, it's quite nice to be able to frame back and forward to break down the whole movement.

Weasyl
    redregon
    As much as i would love to be able to do this more often than i currently can (i've got issues... mainly dealing with crowds of people i don't personally know.) I'd certainly recommend it to anyone wanting to hone their artistic skills.

Weasyl
    Algorithmus
    There used to be a life drawing club at my university (but I graduated and moved far away), and while I really wanted to go, my schedule conflicted, and I ended up only being able to go once. However, it was a good experience. A model would come by and then we would do sketching exercises. She would do a set of 5 second poses, and we would have to sketch them as fast as possible, and then we moved to 10 seconds, then 20, and so on. I think they did that to prevent us from obsessing on whether or not it looks alright, and to just get the basic gist of the pose.

Anyways, I haven't removed myself from their list yet, so if any of you are at SFU in Canada, and you're still interested, there is still a life drawing club active and running. But who knows; if you're in college and you look hard enough, they might just have a club like that.

Weasyl
    traficalshours
    I go to a university for art, we have live model sessions every weekend, but when I can't get to them I really like to do some quick gestures by just sitting around town and drawing the tourists. I actually recommend doing this for people. Even if you can't just draw and refine the same pose for more than 10 seconds. It is a great technique to improve how quickly you are able to sketch something out.