Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Taelune

deviantART Discussion Megathread

I just found out today that DA allows tracing, and the only people that can really report art-theft or tracing are the creators of the original work, even if some stuff was made from anime screen-caps and what not...I'm very depressed now...

I hope this place never allows Tracing, Un-Original bases, etc....

Current Avatar created by Me using Catlike Icon Maker
    Art Status: Uninspired

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Weasyl
    Judicant
    Regarding tracing, our CG permits:

Tracing and Plagiarism: You may incorporate the work of others into new works; however, the use of borrowed content must either abide by fair use or you must obtain permission from the copyright holder. The submission will be removed if it meets neither of these requirements. In either case, you must cite the content's source in the submission description.
    So long as the artist in question is abiding by fair use or has obtained permission from the original author, this content is allowed so as they cite their work. We understand that the way people create is different, some using parts of other people's work, so as long as these works are used fairly we allow it on the site.

However, art theft is not allowed. This would include using other people's work without citing it, including your example of tracing stills from anime.

Weasyl
    Taelune
    Quote Originally Posted by Judicant View Post
    Regarding tracing, our CG permits:

So long as the artist in question is abiding by fair use or has obtained permission from the original author, this content is allowed so as they cite their work. We understand that the way people create is different, some using parts of other people's work, so as long as these works are used fairly we allow it on the site.

However, art theft is not allowed. This would include using other people's work without citing it, including your example of tracing stills from anime.
    Thanks, that cheered me up! and holy crap! I didn't know you were an admin! 0_o you've been too nice and friendly, and community orientated! you tricked me!

(This epiphany made my day)

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4

Weasyl
    Judicant
    You're welcome!

Glad I could help, and thanks for making my day as well, calling me nice and friendly!

Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze
    Quote Originally Posted by Desirahe View Post
    I just found out today that DA allows tracing, and the only people that can really report art-theft or tracing are the creators of the original work, even if some stuff was made from anime screen-caps and what not...I'm very depressed now...

I hope this place never allows Tracing, Un-Original bases, etc....
    Don't worry, I'm with ya. That's why I'm so excited for Weasyl, especially since I had artwork ripped from me--and I'm not even very good! Weasyl is a godsend, and it's awesome to see the staff is helpful and concerned. C:

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Trust me, I hate tracers with a fiery passion. I will not accept art theft on this site

Weasyl
    Taelune
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    Trust me, I hate tracers with a fiery passion. I will not accept art theft on this site
    that is very reassuring! i dunno why DA lowered their standards so much. They got too much into the money, and less into the art! :/ Once you guys open the Art section and this place starts getting more renown I might just quit DA, because I don't get much attention there anyway, not to mention your subscription is cheaper! xD

Man I hate dA so damn much

I'm glad to hear that Weasyl is pretty obviously going to be leagues better already just from the look of its policies alone

It's sad that DA is still the way it is even after so many people (including myself) have reported countless examples of blatant art thievery and it goes largely unnoticed. Eh, I gave up on that site years ago, I hope it drowns in a sea of sonic recolours.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10

Weasyl
    Fayv
    I pretty much quit DA after I found someone stealing my lineart and trying to make money off of it. Even as the copyright holder of the works it was too much hassle to get the images removed. They send you a questionnaire and if you don't answer to it specifically they won't help, even if you message them clearly to explain what is going on.