Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    doki
    I just thought of this but I absolutely hate how deviantart makes you pay to go on the critique list...No one should have to pay extra to get some feedback other than "looks great" "wow" "you draw good".

So glad that weasyl doesn't make you get a premium account just to list your submission under the critique wanted.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Doki View Post
    I just thought of this but I absolutely hate how deviantart makes you pay to go on the critique list...No one should have to pay extra to get some feedback other than "looks great" "wow" "you draw good".

So glad that weasyl doesn't make you get a premium account just to list your submission under the critique wanted.
    ..are you serious? That's no way to support artistic growth at all :c

Weasyl
    doki
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    It frustrates me to no end. Especially since it buries artists cause they have so many members it's hard to stand out or even get a bit of attention. That is..unless you draw something very very popular.

Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze
    Quote Originally Posted by Doki View Post
    It frustrates me to no end. Especially since it buries artists cause they have so many members it's hard to stand out or even get a bit of attention. That is..unless you draw something very very popular.
    How to get popular on dA:

1. Draw massive boobs. :V
    2. Draw Trace ponies and wolfaboos.
    3. Trace generic popular anime OTP/slash/etc.
    4. Combine all of the above = immediate success!

It's a real shame this is the mindset of dA. :c Basically the whole place turned from an awesome art site when it first started in the early 2000s to the cesspool of unoriginality it is now.

Especially rule number one. I hate rule # 1 where all people do is inflate or plaster boobs on things, especially when it takes away from other, more original artists who try hard.

Weasyl
    doki
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomiKamikaze View Post

It's a real shame this is the mindset of dA. :c Basically the whole place turned from an awesome art site when it first started in the early 2000s to the cesspool of unoriginality it is now.

Especially rule number one. I hate rule # 1 where all people do is inflate or plaster boobs on things, especially when it takes away from other, more original artists who try hard.

I think giant boobs on anything makes it popular...cause people are constantly horny hahahaha

Weasyl
    Castazel
    I emptied and closed my dA account last night. The site just doesn't do anything for me anymore. My bias could come from the fact that my ex works at their headquarters and used a lot of my ideas to get himself promoted, but it could also just be that deviantart is a ridiculously bloated site with so many annoying update announcements that don't change anything. A lot of art professors I've talked with and some industry professions consider deviantart to be a children's thing, not really something you should share or showcase professionally. lol Even though that's exactly what deviantart tried to aim for with their portfolio shit.

Weasyl
    doki
    Quote Originally Posted by Castazel View Post
    I emptied and closed my dA account last night. The site just doesn't do anything for me anymore. My bias could come from the fact that my ex works at their headquarters and used a lot of my ideas to get himself promoted, but it could also just be that deviantart is a ridiculously bloated site with so many annoying update announcements that don't change anything. A lot of art professors I've talked with and some industry professions consider deviantart to be a children's thing, not really something you should share or showcase professionally. lol Even though that's exactly what deviantart tried to aim for with their portfolio shit.
    Honestly the only way you should showcase your work for a portfolio (if your doing it professionally) Is to get a website domain of your own and do it that way.

Leave DA and FA and all those places for artwork that you don't care who sees. But give companies and clients the website to showcase what you can do.

Plus it'll always be up as long as you pay the monthly or yearly bill. No sudden downtime or bug crashes due to hackers going after DA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Most people on dA don't want artistic growth as much as to just draw what they like. There's nothing wrong with this, except when a person becomes more popular than someone with more skill and that person will turn nasty toward anyone offering honest critique with the opinion that they don't need to change. The sad thing is, they don't, and it makes my blood boil that people with infinitely more ability than them are stuck in the shadows. What kind of justice is this?

Quote Originally Posted by AtomiKamikaze View Post

You forgot to mention tracing Sonic official art and/or drawing a cheap background and plastering it on there.

Or is that not cool anymore? I can't keep up with these trends.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

Weasyl
    doki
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai View Post
    Most people on dA don't want artistic growth as much as to just draw what they like. There's nothing wrong with this, except when a person becomes more popular than someone with more skill and that person will turn nasty toward anyone offering honest critique with the opinion that they don't need to change. The sad thing is, they don't, and it makes my blood boil that people with infinitely more ability than them are stuck in the shadows. What kind of justice is this?
    Honestly I can't stand those people who get so much recognition for colored bases and such.

Plus the only reason I join an artsite is both motivation and for feedback. If I see that people comment, favorite, view, etc. my artwork then I'll know that there's something that they like about it or if they comment with a critique I'll know what I need to fix.

Weasyl
    Minka
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai View Post
    Also kind of surprised at the amount of people who appear to have a hate for digital art. I can see why they would, since it's much easier to do than traditional art, but going so far as to claim it isn't art is kind of ridiculous. I wonder if this was how people who used oil paint felt when acrylic paint was new, seeing as it's much easier to use than oil paint..
    See.. I feel like comments like this only perpetuate the hate for digital art. All mediums have their strengths and weaknesses; one is not better or easier than the other...