Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Grammar and writing

Weasyl
    Sparky15756
    Quote Originally Posted by Aden View Post
    Honestly, just read a lot and pay attention to how the author punctuates and phrases. You don't have to know all the technical terms and rules to know where in a phrase to place a comma, for example; a lot of it can be left to intuition

And if you mess up a minor detail here and there, well, that's what editors are for!
    It's like with me, I learnt where to place comma's when needed, via common sense, and I sometimes even use colons but that's because I'm used to reading Yu-Gi-Oh! cards and Konami, the people who do Yu-Gi-Oh!, use colons to make it easier for people to understand the card text.

Weasyl
    Tybalt
    Oh look I found the other important book too

http://ebookee.org/Figures-of-Speech...se_238083.html

This would be the antithesis to Strunk and White

You should also have this book

This book will explain to you all the reasons to break form, and all the different ways to

drawing examples primarily from Shakespeare and The Bible (See: The two collective works that had the largest influence on the development of the English language)

Do not not have this book please

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Yesss
    I always loved intentionally breaking grammar just to make the effect what I want it to be <: I feel like that's something I picked up from reading. Like, I always knew the rules and stuff but there were little specific ways to break them that made it sound better.
    I haven't taken a writing class yet, though :c But I hopefully will next year.
    But this. I agree.
    Although I disagree on the whole "people are destroying English" thing but I'm not really going to get into why I think that :u And I don't want to start an argument.

Weasyl
    Rain-Wizard
    I did not realize until recently how much I take having an understanding for grammer for granted. Having proof-read two job applications and a university application, and applied the red pen heavily, I feel terrible for making my friends feel like they can't even english.

And how little effort I put into my own structure on forums, and looking over it and seeing hideous oversights.
    "Disciple of the cross and champion in the suffering, immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption. Harden your mind through the chains of the divine; Make way for the shepherd of fire"

It seems there are some grammar mistakes that become popular over a short period of time.
    Most recent one being "then" where you should use "than" and it irritates me greatly.
    Especially when I see friends who use the proper structure normally, but started recently misspelling it.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by RainWizard View Post
    I did not realize until recently how much I take having an understanding for grammer for granted. Having proof-read two job applications and a university application, and applied the red pen heavily, I feel terrible for making my friends feel like they can't even english.

And how little effort I put into my own structure on forums, and looking over it and seeing hideous oversights.
    This, actually. I always feel really bad when I have to correct my friends' writing :c

Weasyl
    Rain-Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissfulOblivion View Post
    This, actually. I always feel really bad when I have to correct my friends' writing :c
    Yeah, and I always find if I try to explain why they're wrong they think I'm being patronizing. "/
    "Disciple of the cross and champion in the suffering, immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption. Harden your mind through the chains of the divine; Make way for the shepherd of fire"

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by RainWizard View Post
    Yeah, and I always find if I try to explain why they're wrong they think I'm being patronizing. "/
    :C My friends are okay with it (actually, they often ask for it), I just feel really bad because there's so much wrong most of the time and I feel like I'm calling them stupid or something.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #19

Weasyl
    Matt
    I haven't written an essay post in a long, long time. I have very strong feelings about this, especially in regards to statements like "And this is why the english language has gone to hell." This will be my plan for tomorrow. It shouldn't take more than about 4 hours to write.
    Look at all the fun we're having.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Tense still troubles me to no end. Most of the time, I write everything in past tense to make it more of a narrative tone (like most book) but once in a while, I get into those situation where I wanted to use a present tense instead because it felt kind of iffy. It usually happens when you introduce a character or something and you go like.

Blah blah that appeared was XXX, a mage that works for... wait, should I use "worked for"? or stick to "works for"? The whole thing is in past tense but his service isn't really over yet so.... Hrng.