Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Grammar and writing

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    Tense still troubles me to no end. Most of the time, I write everything in past tense to make it more of a narrative tone (like most book) but once in a while, I get into those situation where I wanted to use a present tense instead because it felt kind of iffy. It usually happens when you introduce a character or something and you go like.

Blah blah that appeared was XXX, a mage that works for... wait, should I use "worked for"? or stick to "works for"? The whole thing is in past tense but his service isn't really over yet so.... Hrng.
    That probably depends on bigger context and the tone you want. It could potentially be totally fine. Mess around with it and see how it sounds, too. :u That's my two cents.

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #22
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    Tense still troubles me to no end. Most of the time, I write everything in past tense to make it more of a narrative tone (like most book) but once in a while, I get into those situation where I wanted to use a present tense instead because it felt kind of iffy. It usually happens when you introduce a character or something and you go like.

Blah blah that appeared was XXX, a mage that works for... wait, should I use "worked for"? or stick to "works for"? The whole thing is in past tense but his service isn't really over yet so.... Hrng.
    Just use past tense consistently. This isn't presumably a story you're telling your friends about recent events, so the whole thing can be treated like 'once upon a time', meaning the events you are speaking of are over by now and you're just telling the story. Maybe in reality, XXX died 400 years ago, in which case he 'worked for' someone. Unless you can look up his phone number and give him a call right now, this is probably the safer option to go with.

Weasyl
    Tica
    I agree wholeheartedly with the OP.

I'd really like to read more furry fiction and fanfiction, considering that I write it myself and would like to get into the community of artists who make these things so that I can build my audience. But the bad grammar and unprofessional styles get to me and I simply can't read it. I can't. And then, of course, the people with the worst writing are also completely unable to take criticism :/

I'm a writer; I *thrive* on honest and thorough critique. When people post a story and go like, "tell me what you think!" but really they mean, "tell me that you like this, otherwise be silent!" it makes my head spin. @-@