Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Cani Lupine

Anyone else here a gearhead?

From shadetree mechanics to tuners, tinkerers and drivers alike, who here also shares a love of automobiles? My ride is a 1996 Ford Aspire 5 door, modified for handling and fuel efficiency. Not much in the way of power, but it's frugal and fun as hell on the downhill.

Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze
    Same here, slowly learning more about mechanics, but it's fun. My baby's a 2001 Toyota Celica GT. "Rescued" (bought legally of course) him from previous drivers who never washed the bird shit off until it ate the paint, and never changed air filters, batteries... so now regular oil changes, checkups, and the battery and filters all are replaced. (EDIT: Now all 4 spark plugs are replaced. And they were the original NGKs from the factory, 11 years old. How my car is still roadworthy is beyond me)

4 cyl. engine and not very good with hills or off-road driving, but fun to drive and got a long life ahead. C: (And a good friend/zen place). I do plan to mod the car later on body-wise as well as extra fuel efficiency, but not enough money right now.
    Last edited by AtomiKamikaze; 12-31-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Weasyl
    Cani Lupine
    Ah, I know how that goes. The deeper you dig, the more you shake your head and wonder how it still ran before. I'm a HUGE advocate for basic preventative maintenance, and I personally think understanding how a car runs and how to at least check the basics should be a requirement for getting a driver's license.

Weasyl
    Melzi
    Gearhead here!
    Worked for a drag racing shop, building and traveling to races. I've gone as far as Las Vegas, and Florida. As soon as you get bit by the racing bug, there is no going back.

Owned a 1989 s10 with a 6.0 LS motor, original wiring harness, Holley carb. stalk ford rear end leaf springs. Had to sell it to afford welding school.
    Now I just have a little 2009 Ford Focus, 2.3 Manual trans :<

Weasyl
    Cani Lupine
    Well, had my first "accident" of sorts last night. On the way home from visiting a friend in the mountains, the pass was covered in snow. Hard pack around the top, to slush near the bottom. 11 miles of 6% downgrade included. Went to pass a guy that was going too slow and had me riding my brakes nonstop, but what I THOUGHT was a straight ended up being a really short one. Didn't see the oncoming curve until it was too late. Locked up the wheels in the slush trying to slow down and fishtailed. JUST got it under control as I got into the corner, but didn't have enough road left, and I slid straight into the shoulder and the hillside. Busted my homemade airdam and undertray, but thankfully it protected everything else. The guy behind me was a truck with a winch and pulled me out.

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
    Weasyl
    Aden
    Boyfriend and I own a Mitsu Lancer together. It's only a 5-speed, but it's very fun to drive. We never learned how to do hardcore repairs/mods - biggest alteration we've done is a new intake. I just like driving!

Fellow gearhead and car enthusiast here. I used to have a '70 Chevy C-10 pickup turck that I was gonna fix up, but I had to sell it.. Maybe one day I'll be able to get another project.... *sigh* For now I have a 2008 Jeep Patriot, (front wheel drive, not even the 4x4 model... and I hope I never have to work on that CVT transmission. that thing is... wierd.)

yus...I have a B**chy 1985 pontiac trans am with T-tops, faded peeling paint and the 305 TPI 700R4 combo. by the way, im in the market for a small block 350 at the moment. i would love to swap a LT1 and T56 into there but funds are limited.
    my first car was a 1988 RX7. i was hooked after that.

I'm a fellow gearhead. The most fun car I ever had was a 2000 Celica GTS. I would list all the performance parts I had on it, but only if people really want to know. Every day I want to punch the old lady that t-boned me. I'm currently looking for a new car since the transmission just broke on my crappy hyundai accent and I don't really think it's worth it to try to fix the car. I'm awfully tempted by the ford dealer that has an 89 turbo Supra with 57k on the odo, though I'm really looking more for practicality right now. So much for saving up for an FR-S.

Right now I own a 03' Ford Mustang gt. It has a touch over 54,000 miles on it. Have a few cosmetic stuff done to it, nothing performance yet. First car was a 81 AMC eagle sx/4, then a chevy cavalier. Bought a 92 civic hatchback that had a si swap with cai, racing exhaust and a chip tune. After that I owned a 02 Saab 9-3. Always did my own maintenance. Never trusted shops.