Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weasyl
    Term

Your Football Open Thread

With training camps officially underway, the NFL Artificial Universe is once again upon us. This thread exists for all things football, from breaking down games or your favorite players to light-hearted smack-talk.

Last season saw my New York Giants win their second Super Bowl in four years and this year nothing much has changed. Virtually the entire roster is back save for Jacobs, Manningham, Tollefson, Ross, and Ballard who was unfortunately lost in one of the dumbest ways possibly by temporarily waving him to make room for Rocky Bernard of all people.

This is both good and bad for the GMEN. Good because they know that they are a championship caliber team that's relatively young or reaching its prime. Bad because every other team, especially the Redskins, have appeared to have gotten that much better on paper with some good free agent signings and of course the drafting of RG3, otherwise known as Bob Griffin (thanks Osi).

With training camp now underway I'm really excited to see three things happen. First, David Wilson, our first round pick, and his speed. Andre Brown a couple of years ago was supposed to be our big time speed back before he ruptured his Achilles. Now we have another speedy running back who can also be a bit of a bruiser ala McCoy on the Eagles.

Second would have to be Reuban Randall, the wide receiver from LSU. With Manningham gone the third/second receiver spot is up for grabs. Jerrell Jernigan was supposed to be the heir apparent but the lock out last offseason really hurt his development, so he's a bit behind the curve. Ramses Barden was the same way but he's never really turned into the dominating presence a 6' 6'' receiver should be. This is going to be one interesting position battle.

Third is my personal favorite underdog, Mark Herzlick. A Boston College product that you may have heard of as a survivor of bone cancer and has now attained his dream of being in the NFL. Last year he struggled with some injuries, but did manage to start a couple of games, most notably against the Patriots in week 9. I really wanna see this kid become an every down linebacker eventually, but right now he's got a lot of good competition ahead of him. Here's hoping.

So what are you looking forward to this season?

Weasyl
    Tango
    I hope the Jaguars do -something- this year. We finally got a new coach and new owner so no more Weaver/Del Rio disasters. I want to see what Justin Blackman can do aside from collect DUIs. Can Gabbard pass the ball when he has a target to throw to? Will Jones-Drew quit being a bitch and go to training camp? This will be interesting.

Weasyl
    Matt
    I'm going to throw this out there first: Would anyone be interested in a Weasyl Fantasy Football league? I'll set it up and everything. I'm just curious to see if anyone else is interested. All of my leagues have fallen apart.

Anyways, football. This sport conflicts me because I'm a Packer fan, and I shouldn't be a Packer fan. I live outside of Detroit, so I know my allegiance should be to Detroit teams, but the Packers were the first professional team I ever cared about. They matter to me. If I just drop them now, my loyalty to the Lions alone would be manufactured and it wouldn't mean anything. What's more important to determining your teams, zip codes or childhood memories of Brett Favre throwing a block for Dorsey Levens?

I don't know either.

I mention this because I'm one of those horrible people who use the words "we," "us," and "our" in describing the actions of two separate teams. Watch:

I can't believe we had so many off-the-field issues this year. We're the new Bengals. We lost Aaron Berry, which shouldn't be an issue because he isn't very good, but it is an issue because he was going to be our not very good starter. Mikel Leshoure keeps getting in trouble, and he hasn't played a down yet. Our secondary is consistently in tatters, and there's the constant fear that one wrong move could knock Stafford out for the year. Again. On the other hand: Calvin Johnson.

Prediction: 15 - 1

I wonder what Matt Flynn is going to do now that he's gone. I can't believe we lost to the Giants.

Prediction 17 - (-1)

Would this thread be appropriate for College Football as well, or should I pop off another thread when the time comes?
    Look at all the fun we're having.

Weasyl
    DinosaurDammit
    Screw the nfl >:U

ROLL TIDE

Weasyl
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by DinosaurDammit View Post
    Screw the nfl >:U

ROLL TIDE
    Oh look at you. September 1 is going to be intense.

Weasyl
    DinosaurDammit
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Oh look at you. September 1 is going to be intense.
    I am so ready. Bear would be proud /sheds tear/

question, why if its Mish are we playing at texas?

Weasyl
    Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurdammit View Post
    screw the nfl >:u

roll tide
    Go gators!!!

Weasyl
    DinosaurDammit
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Go gators!!!
    hissssssssssssssssss get off my planet

Weasyl
    Matt
    I am so ready. Bear would be proud /sheds tear/

question, why if its Mish are we playing at texas?
    Because Jerryworld is massive and will make lots of money for both schools, I suppose. I think this is meant as some sort of burgeoning tradition: put two major programs on national TV at the beginning of the year to kick off the season. I like it. I just don't like the fact that I'm all but certain we're going to lose.

Weasyl
    Tango
    hissssssssssssssssss get off my planet

Aww, come on! Everyone loves The Gators!