Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have way to many turn-on's, guess it depends on personal choice.

My major turn-off(s) are:
    1) The artist is known to spend forever on a commission. If the artist has 3 commissions there is no reason 4 months later they haven't even done the sketch. Even if they have a huge work-load, knowing they take a bunch of orders is a turn off since I know it may take a long time to get the art, specially when paid up-front.
    2) The attitude of the artist. First impressions are everything - If I see a bunch of rant journals of the likes, I tend to steer away from them. I don't want to have an attitude if I ask politely to change something during a WIP process.

Weasyl
    Kanagrooboy
    This is more from a graphic design/photography perspective. I've only done requests in the furry art realm, and whenever there was space for me to take artistic license, it always turned out well for both the requester and myself so I can't complain there.
    "You're an artist! You know what I mean!"
    "Since it's all on a computer/digital, I don't have to pay much, right?"
    "It'll look good for your portfolio!" (when asking for free work)
    "My nephew knows photoshop! Here's the file he started, just use that!" (the document is ALWAYS set up wrong when I'm told this, and usually 100% useless)

Weasyl
    Algorithmus
    I don't do commissions at all because I'm only in the interest of doing art for myself, and not for other people. Usually anyways. It mostly has to do with what I'm inspired by. If I'm not inspired by someone's suggestion, I simply won't do it, and I don't want to promise a picture I don't have any desire to begin or finish. I'm not inspired by the money anyways. I'm also not inspired by most people's OC designs, as I tend to find most people don't know how to properly design one, or their backstory and/or personality is poorly written or uninteresting to me.
    I don't mind collabs or art trades, and I've done a few of those, and they can be fun, especially with artists whose works you admire. They usually work out because other artists understand what it's like to get a commission, and usually won't request something you can't do or have no interest in. And the people who usually ask you for one are about as good as you are.

I think my major turn off is opening commissions for frivolous reasons. Like 'I need a haircut!' 'I need a new tablet!' 'I need money to see my boyfriend!'. I suppose this is entirely moot if the artist in question is actually pretty good and does have a large-enough demand for their work, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, partly because I know there are a ton of people who need the money for more serious reasons that I would gladly commission to support. Especially if this is for purely personal interests rather than any actual technical purpose (like needing a banner or avatar for a character).

I don't commission artists very often but when I do there are a few things I really want to see. Style is important, but varies depending on what I want.

-Professional, keeping to time tables, well priced art, does not have a history of taking months for a single commission or dropping commissions because of real life issues. I prefer artist who treat taking commissions like an actual job. This is probably my biggest thing.
    -Clear Pricing is my second big thing. i don't care how high or how low because I'll pay what the art is worth and what I can. I prefer flat rate prices plus clearly stated fees or how much to add extra characters, complex designs, back grounds, etc so I can at least estimate my own price. I don't mind if the additional character cost is a percentage of the base cost for the piece, that just means a bit more math. I'm wary of hourly pricing unless an artist can tell me exactly what I'm going to get for that time slot (I've only seen one artist who could work like this, churning out reined one character sketches in fifteen minutes, and you could purchase the second fifteen minutes for and additional character or color).

That's pretty much what I look for. Turn offs include a history of flakiness, people who clearly don't take their commissioners seriously (you're taking our money, that makes it a business!), and bad record keeping. I know it can be really confusing to keep track of a lot of commissions, but it wouldn't be that hard to keep an excel sheet or even a notepad of commissions you've taken so you don't 'forget' about someone. Generally it all boils down to professionalism.

Weasyl
    WhiteFox1618
    Extremely low prices... anything under 5$... don't really do anything to increase sales. At that point, the inconvenience of going through the commission process will drive people away more than the money will. You have to set up a pay pal account... write a description of what you want... find and contact an artist... it's all such a hassle. If a customer is willing to go through that set-up process, they probably want a commission badly enough that they'll pay at least 10$-15$ for one.

Artists who charge high prices can usually get away with it not because of the amount of work involved, or how skilled they actually are, but simply because they're ridiculously famous. When you have a gigantic herd of obsessed rabid fans, there's bound to be a couple in there who are willing to pay exorbitant fees for... whatever. The signature costs more than the artwork.

Professionalism has been mentioned more than once so far, and I agree entirely. A price sheet with example pieces and a formally written set of terms and policies do a lot to make an artist look competent.

When doing a free request or gift, it's fun to surprise the recipient with the finished piece... well, this is business. Showing the client an early draft of the work is a good idea: something to show the pose and placement of the character/s in general. This isn't as important for a simple bust shot or portrait, but it's highly recommended for work with a backgrounds, multiple characters, action poses, etc. Showing a second draft with all the details, just before doing the inks and/or colouring, is also prudent (especially for characters with lots of detail). That way, the client can ask for revisions without the artist having to do too much extra work.

Anyway... hope this helps some.

Weasyl
    Theblackvixen
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasune View Post
    My biggest turnoff when looking for commissions (as in, to purchase for myself) is an artist displaying an unfavorable attitude. If you are rude to your customers (or folks in general) in any way, good luck finding clients.

I have seen artists on every site that I frequent make passive-aggressive or outright nasty journals toward customers sometimes. Sometimes it can even be specific clients that they had trouble with. One thing that really grinds my gears is when an artist expects commissioners and potential clients to do something a certain way but don't have it explicitly written down somewhere, then reprimand clients for not doing it.

I also can't stand chatspeak. As judgmental as it sounds, if you can't type professionally, then I don't think I want to do business with you. English isn't my first language and I don't need to have trouble understanding someone.
    I can't stand chatspeak either! good lord, it drives me nuts! it's like talking to a four year old playing with a speak n' spell. Just down right obnoxious >.> I do like the use of emoticons though! ^^

- - - Updated - - -

My turn offs would have to be chatspeak, lack of professionalism, and of course, over priced work. If I see a simple sketch going for $70.00, I'm looking somewhere else!

I like diverse styles to choose from, however! it makes my choice exciting!

As an artist that's done commissions, I can say one thing I really like is when I get asked to do colorful or otherwise visually interesting characters. Professionalism is important to me, so I don't usually turn anything down just because it dosn't appeal to me design-wise, but getting a fun subject or character to draw is like candy - its awesome and makes the job that much more fun.

I also like when commissioners respect my prices because..honestly I feel like I charge for what my art is worth. It seems like the subject of artist pricing is a big deal these days - as it should be. It makes me feel good when people aren't telling me I have to work for less than minimum wage on a piece of artwork for them because they feel like I should..

So I guess my biggest pet peeve would be when some people (and this only sometimes happens!) completely ignore my prices and try to lowball me or convince me to do a full illustration or something for like.. $15 - I'm sorry, but that's just. not. going to happen, and frankly it's a little insulting. My family tries to do that more than strangers do and its sad.. D:

Also, bad attitudes, as has been mentioned. You guys are right, no one should have to deal with a bad attitude during any kind of business transaction~

Weasyl
    Algorithmus
    This discussion reminds me--I was at a convention last year and made a few new art friends. In the process, we were discussing this asshat who people did not want to take commissions from because he was being too specific, and was commissioning something completely vulgar. So I suggested half heartedly that we should charge people extra for being super picky and asking for inappropriate commissions. While I hadn't intended the suggestion to be taken seriously, my art friend said he felt it was a good idea, and would try it for next time. And for what it's worth, if you thought that suggestion was a good idea, feel free to try.

Weasyl
    WhiteFox1618
    Quote Originally Posted by Algorithmus View Post
    So I suggested half heartedly that we should charge people extra for being super picky and asking for inappropriate commissions. While I hadn't intended the suggestion to be taken seriously, my art friend said he felt it was a good idea, and would try it for next time. And for what it's worth, if you thought that suggestion was a good idea, feel free to try.
    This is a really good practice, actually. I know a few people who do graphic design work, print and web, and it's a standard practice to charge a premium if the customer asks for more than a certain number of major revisions, or changes the requirements partway through.

I have herd that some commissioners will take a look at a concept drawing, and repeatedly ask for something different because it's not what they had in mind, or doesn't display some character feature, or whatever. In reality, they're actually just mining the artist for more and more sketches.