Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Weasyl
    serbus
    I purchase a lot of artwork for both personal and professional use. When looking for artists I generally look for consitency in quality from one piece to the next; I like to know that the artwork I see is the artwork I'm going to get, regardless of the artist's actual skills. For specific personal pieces I do also look at skill, but mostly I hire a wide range of artists because I like variety and sometimes it helps me concept out ideas from multiple perspectives.

Price is and isn't important at the same time. For example, I'm more than willing to pay $500+ if that artist's skill and professionalism is worth it (sometimes the artist's reputation also fits into how I value art). However, I'm not willing to pay $70 to a beginning artist who obviously only takes 20 minutes on the drawing. I look for properly priced artwork and if someone is obviously charging more than their work is worth then its an instant turn off. I never hire artists who charge an hourly rate, but I expect artists to quote/charge me a value equal to an hourly rate (if that makes any sense). I don't like buying variable cost art because I never know if I'll have the money by the time its done (plus because I don't keep my artist on a time clock I don't know if the artists are telling the truth on their time).

I wrote an article a while back which pretty much sums up my opinions on pricing.

Terms of Service are generally a put off. If you do make a TOS make it short as a bullet list. I hate reading a legal document pertaining to all the things I can and cannot do with something I just spent a good portion of my paycheck on. I'm always on the lookout for artists who include the copyrights for their work in the cost of the piece. They tend to be a little bit more expensive, but I do a lot of small time business things that don't earn much money anyway and these are perfect for me. I'm definitely a repeat customer to these artists. (eg: emmil on DA is my favorite concept artist, she's also done a few pixel pieces for some of my games).

Sometimes the act of purchasing art yourself teaches you more about what you should do as a seller. I would definitely advise any artist selling commissions to make an effort to buy commissions as well, simply to learn what other people are doing right or wrong.
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

I also sell art, feel free to contact me for a quote!

You do raise a good point about buying commissions to get experience with selling them, serbus. Course, that being said, I think it depends more on your networking ability; most of the people I bought commissions from are friends, or at least acquaintences who later became friends. Likewise, for selling, I don't know many people who would be willing to pay me for my efforts as a musician, even despite I dabble with game music every so often (only one of many project heads ever paid me, let alone upfront), which may be part of why I've only had one person who paid me for a personal commission.

Weasyl
    Mayhem
    Quote Originally Posted by serbus View Post
    I purchase a lot of artwork for both personal and professional use. When looking for artists I generally look for consitency in quality from one piece to the next; I like to know that the artwork I see is the artwork I'm going to get, regardless of the artist's actual skills. For specific personal pieces I do also look at skill, but mostly I hire a wide range of artists because I like variety and sometimes it helps me concept out ideas from multiple perspectives.

Price is and isn't important at the same time. For example, I'm more than willing to pay $500+ if that artist's skill and professionalism is worth it (sometimes the artist's reputation also fits into how I value art). However, I'm not willing to pay $70 to a beginning artist who obviously only takes 20 minutes on the drawing. I look for properly priced artwork and if someone is obviously charging more than their work is worth then its an instant turn off. I never hire artists who charge an hourly rate, but I expect artists to quote/charge me a value equal to an hourly rate (if that makes any sense). I don't like buying variable cost art because I never know if I'll have the money by the time its done (plus because I don't keep my artist on a time clock I don't know if the artists are telling the truth on their time).

I wrote an article a while back which pretty much sums up my opinions on pricing.

Terms of Service are generally a put off. If you do make a TOS make it short as a bullet list. I hate reading a legal document pertaining to all the things I can and cannot do with something I just spent a good portion of my paycheck on. I'm always on the lookout for artists who include the copyrights for their work in the cost of the piece. They tend to be a little bit more expensive, but I do a lot of small time business things that don't earn much money anyway and these are perfect for me. I'm definitely a repeat customer to these artists. (eg: emmil on DA is my favorite concept artist, she's also done a few pixel pieces for some of my games).

Sometimes the act of purchasing art yourself teaches you more about what you should do as a seller. I would definitely advise any artist selling commissions to make an effort to buy commissions as well, simply to learn what other people are doing right or wrong.
    You just saved me a TON of time!!! I was in the process of writing this and well there it is. I read it over twice about your opinions on pricing and it states almost everything that I wanted to. I HATED what was up on FA before and I think it sent a lot of people down the wrong path of pricing their art.

I hope that you will make a post over here and ask the mods to have it pinned. I think a lot of people could really benefit from what you have written.

As far as turn on and offs about commissions. I would agree fully with Serbus about the terms of service and throw in the fact if they have so much written that it seems I am applying to a job or for a loan from the bank.
    Yes, you may be selling something but you shouldnt treat your clients like you dont want their service. It should just be kept simple.

The only thing that really turns me off is lack of communication. As an artist you should be able to be reached and asked about the status of whatever you are working on for them. I dont mean the client should nag the artist but if its been a week or two and I see other things being posted by that artist and my art isnt being worked on I start to wonder. I understand about needing the mojo to get the art juices flowing but after taking someones money you have to make yourself have the time to do it even without that motivation. (That or return the money in a timely manner and apologize for not being able to do it)

Quote Originally Posted by serbus View Post
    Finally had the chance to look at this. You probably have influenced me when it comes to my own pricing. I'm still hesitant to drop the price too much, though: if we were talking music, costs for equipmeny would definitely be a higher priority than for art because they can be really expensive, especially for electronic music because the chances are slim you only need one software synth to make a professional sound.

Weasyl
    kynliod
    This is an interesting thread, and a topic I have always wondered about.

One question I have--is it a turnoff to *only* accept sketch commissions? I don't have time for anything else.

Another weird question--does anyone think people here, or on other art sites, would be interested in crochet animal hats? (Example: http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...32758488_n.jpg) I know people sell costumes...

- - - Updated - - -

I just realized my post may have come across the wrong way. Allow me to clarify--I am not trying to hint for commissions, I am simply curious as to a person's interest in that genre of art, since you don't really see it around.

I also am wondering--when you guys speak of a TOS, are you including things like information about how a commission is handled (such as whether or not sample images are sent, whether or not changes to the sketch are permitted, that sort of thing...)
    Last edited by kynliod; 03-13-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Link fix.

I'm not sure about your other questions, kynliod, but in response to your question about the ToS, it usually includes stuff like that but some artists write a large amount of paragraphs explaining what can and can't be done with the art, when to expect it and such. A lot of the time it includes needless explanation (and it's one of my biggest turn-offs too unless I really want their art) that could be summed up in bullet points.

Personally, I think my biggest turn-offs is when the artist's commissions are of a lower quality than the rest of their work. I've only had this happen to me once I think (I tend to only buy art I am pretty much guaranteed will be good now) and it was for only $4 but the examples were dead good, but the art I received... Uh, I don't even think I saved it because it was just so terrible in comparison to what they were offering. You can tell if it's good quality art or not when you look at the corners they cut in shading and little markings they forgot to put in when they were colouring and such. I personally lose out on quite a bit of time when I do commissions because I tend to do the opposite - take longer than I should but churn out better quality art than expected. D:

Also what annoys me is when people upload a lot of crap. I used to do this, but now I try and keep my accounts (here and dA) clean and updated with only my best art. And also if I change my style I make sure that the newer examples are better than the old ones. I feel like now I have a rather strong gallery with work of the same quality I would send a customer, instead of a cluttered gallery with as many examples as I can throw up.

Another big turn-off is when a customer wants "something cute" or "something playful". No. Just no. I'm not going to accept your commission unless you include a reasonable amount of detail on what would (at the very least) be considered "cute" or "playful" for the buyer and their character.