Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Made Any Programs?

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Quote Originally Posted by Brace View Post
    I've been meaning to write a few scripts to help simplify basic day-to-day networking tasks, but I've been really lazy. Right now I've only ever written code for homework assignments. I guess that makes me lame.
    Naw, that just makes you a normal college student. So flooded in homework and class stuff that you just get sick of it and can`t bother to have personal projects of your own

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12

Quote Originally Posted by oneandonly View Post
    Assembly though, eugh.
    650x assembly is just beautiful; intuitive 16-bit addressing, two non-accumulator registers, and just a handful of instructions. So simple you can just do straight machine code assuming you've got enough time on your hands. :v

Weasyl
    oneandonly
    Quote Originally Posted by Kihari View Post
    650x assembly is just beautiful; intuitive 16-bit addressing, two non-accumulator registers, and just a handful of instructions. So simple you can just do straight machine code assuming you've got enough time on your hands. :v
    I recently acquired a Pentium 4, so that's been my development PC. I will admit though, assembly is great because the programs made in it are extremely small. Small enough to say, fit on a floppy disk.

I'm primarily a C# programmer (though no VB hate coming from here :P) and have been in the field for a few years now. Alas don't do as many hobby projects as I probably should, mostly 'cause too lazy to go in and try to figure out how to set up sharable programs in Sourceforge or something. Definitely liking the ease of use of high level languages like .NET and Python, and about the lowest level I've gone and kept my sanity was c++ :P

As far as databases go I've tried MySQL and PostreSQL but I definitely throw my vote in for SQLite for most purposes, having the database in an easily transferable file is quite nice (and even better if you use an ORM like NHibernate).

If anyone uses GIMP I have a small little autosave application I coded up a few weeks back. It's fairly rudimentary, after you specify how often you want to autosave and hit start it will check the active window every x minutes, perform a regex on the title, and if it matches the regex for an open *.xcf file in gimp it'll send the Ctrl+S keystroke and reset the timer. Even added a couple little extra features like "Next auto save at <<Time>>" and minimize to system tray to reduce taskbar usage. Unforunately my only distribution is an exe file in my dropbox, but if anyone would like I can see if I can take a hack at sourcefourge and open source it (just so you know for sure I'm not an evil black hatter or something :P)

Only tested on Windows, so until I do some research probably no *nix or Mac love ^_^;
    Gimp autosave application
    Last edited by Norvilion; 07-30-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Weasyl
    Saiko
    Most of my programs have been Project Euler solutions, not stand-alone applications; so they're only useful to me. I think the one I'm most proud of is a Sieve of Eratosthenes I wrote in Java and rewrote in C++.

Weasyl
    Flame Soulis
    I've written a few programs across some languages.

• QBASIC - Pong (Hey, it was a start back then!)
    • QBASIC - Nameless Shooter
    • Visual Basic (pre .NET) - Not much other than some network IM clients
    • C# - Sculptaire - Second Life Sculpty Previewer
    • C# - Group Oracle - Second Life Group Manager (Command Line for groups)
    • PHP/LSL - Naverous - Second Life Vender System (mostly back end work for MySQL operations)
    • *LSL - AIO/AUC - Short for All-In-One and Automatic Updating Controller - Allows for easy modification of Second Life avatars without breaking functionality, allows for updating internal code without sacrificing modifications, and allows for 'Strip Down' mode where optional components are removed to reduce memory consumption
    • Blitz Basic/3D - Code Z Projects - Attempt at an MMO. Kinda worked.
    • Blitz Basic/3D - Mostly small 'Wednesday Workshop' competition projects (1 week to make a game involving some specialty)
    • C++ - Avalanche Retro - Clone of a flash game

* - Yeah I know LSL means Linden Scripting Language, so technically it isn't a program.

Weasyl
    oly
    Not technically making a program, but I've programmed some Pure Data patches to route data from my Arduinome and TouchOSC, for working with audio. Nothign too fancy, jsut taking input data, sorting it and converting it from OSC to Midi.

also I made a patch that fed my old huge Casio completely random Midi data and patch change data, one that mad eit jsut cycle through perucussion and one that made it cycle through ever patch on the thing. so it would jsut spew crazy randomized noise. Not very useful, but really fun

Weasyl
    GingerM
    Good heavens, it's been a while...

I did some database programming in dBASE/FoxBase way, way, way back, just after finishing college. I haven't done much recently, though, unless you count scripting objects in Second Life using LSL.
    FA: GINGERM | RHIANNON ~ SOFURRY ~ FUTANARI PALACE ~ RENDEROTICA
    WEASYL ~ DEVIANTART ~ HENTAI FOUNDRY ~ WIKIFUR
    Live life to the fullest, love with a full heart.

Weasyl
    Flame Soulis
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
    I haven't done much recently, though, unless you count scripting objects in Second Life using LSL.
    Considering that is what I do for a living, I guess in a way it sorta counts since the viewer is just an access point to another system, so the scripts I guess could be considered programs as much as LUA is (if LUA was handling more processing).

Weasyl
    GingerM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame Soulis View Post
    Considering that is what I do for a living, I guess in a way it sorta counts since the viewer is just an access point to another system, so the scripts I guess could be considered programs as much as LUA is (if LUA was handling more processing).
    The main thing for me was that it was the first event driven, state-based language I'd ever encountered so I just had to muck about with it. Truthfully, though, I see lots of scripts that basically approach things monolithicly in LSL, as if it were C or Pascal. Maybe because the notation is similar
    FA: GINGERM | RHIANNON ~ SOFURRY ~ FUTANARI PALACE ~ RENDEROTICA
    WEASYL ~ DEVIANTART ~ HENTAI FOUNDRY ~ WIKIFUR
    Live life to the fullest, love with a full heart.