Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: DA artists jumping ship?

Weasyl
    KumatoraKazooie
    I plan on leaving deviantART because The admins aren't doing much of anything about art that uses official art and screenshots like memes, demotivational posters and creations made in flash doll makers. I'm tired of having to report one once every five minutes.

Weasyl
    Shiko
    I don't use Deviant art that much...actually I hardly use it at all; but even I have noticed a downward trend lately. I am not a popular artist, or even a good artist at that, and when I post on FA I get quite a few views and likes, and even some comments from fellow watchers. But on DA when I post the same things I will get like 1 new watch, but never any comments or feedback. I personally feel that DA is more aimed towards normal art, photography and all that other jazz; not saying they don't support Furry/Anthro art, just seems Anthro art will be more appreciated on a site that is aimed towards that audience.

I do know a lot of furries and anthro lovers do reside on DA, I just hope that everyone finds their new Art Home

Weasyl
    N/A
    I just got back on DeviantArt and nothing has changed. I hope the emergence of new communities & websites sink that ship asap. It's a poorly designed overcrowded mess, that tries to be everything.
    (In my opinion)

More smaller & diverse communities that don't try to be everything in terms of art,- are always good in my book.
    Last edited by MapleTerror; 03-09-2013 at 12:56 AM.

I'm never gonna leave DA but I'm using it less frequently then when I first started out, it's just too massive and unless you're a dedicated fan artist or already at a professional level you're just not gonna make much headway. And the fact that DA is absolutely swollen with bunch non contributors who are using DA as makeshift photobucket to stock it full of their screen caps makes their faves useless.

I agree, oneintheinfinite; it's just too large of a site, which may be one reason why the dA staff are slackers; there are too many members to feasibly handle.

I agree with Tapeworm, just because your ego isn't stroked as often on DA isn't an incentive to leave. If you want people to notice you then ACTUALLY GO PROMOTE YOUR WORK. You have an image in your DA gallery from March 2 - thats only 9 days ago and it has 3 comments, something like 17 faves and close to 200 views. You have it in one group and thats it. According to your activity you've only left 200 or so comments in total (and how many of them are replies to others?).

Don't complain about not getting views if you're just sitting back doing nothing.

I never really liked the feel of DA, and although it's a decent website the sheer scale of it (and lack of organisation) was a bit offputting. I joined FA because it's a bit smaller and seemed to offer a similar experience but I've not found it massively enjoyable so far. Too much drama over the smallest things.

Weasyl
    Algorithmus
    Quote Originally Posted by benanderson View Post
    I agree with Tapeworm, just because your ego isn't stroked as often on DA isn't an incentive to leave. If you want people to notice you then ACTUALLY GO PROMOTE YOUR WORK. You have an image in your DA gallery from March 2 - thats only 9 days ago and it has 3 comments, something like 17 faves and close to 200 views. You have it in one group and thats it. According to your activity you've only left 200 or so comments in total (and how many of them are replies to others?).

Don't complain about not getting views if you're just sitting back doing nothing.
    Actually, that is a valid reason to leave. You don't have to assume that anyone who is actually adding their works to groups and actively trying to get attention otherwise finds it time consuming and not worth it because they aren't getting as many comments or faves back as they are on other places--why waste your time there if you have better success elsewhere? Of course that's only one reason people choose to leave, but there's nothing wrong with considering it. And I know this because I do submit my works to various places, and there are some places where I don't have to work so hard to get comments and faves. I mean it gets kind of annoying having to post on some critique or art share thread all the time anytime you have a new work up instead of doing it only a few times (or at conventions or other similar venues) and then just allowing for people who are already your friends and watchers to continue faving and commenting your works.

And adding it to a group doesn't always work; some groups are not very popular or not being updated.

I'd have to go with Algorithmus on this one.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightpaws View Post
    I never really liked the feel of DA, and although it's a decent website the sheer scale of it (and lack of organisation) was a bit offputting. I joined FA because it's a bit smaller and seemed to offer a similar experience but I've not found it massively enjoyable so far. Too much drama over the smallest things.
    I definitely agree with you on the lack of organization and how off putting it is. I don't really have any say in this because I'm new around fandom. However- there always seems to be drama over trivial things on DA too, as well as other art communities. Based on my past experiences...

I guess it's human nature at it's best.

Quote Originally Posted by Python Blue View Post
    I agree, oneintheinfinite; it's just too large of a site, which may be one reason why the dA staff are slackers; there are too many members to feasibly handle.
    I kinda disagree with that, if anything DA needs to work on it's policies and guidelines. Perhaps be stricter about some things and what can and can't be uploaded...

Like I said earlier though- DA tries to be everything and fails at the community level as a result. Although it must make good net profit. (Quantity over Quality = $)

Quote Originally Posted by Algorithmus View Post
    Actually, that is a valid reason to leave. You don't have to assume that anyone who is actually adding their works to groups and actively trying to get attention otherwise finds it time consuming and not worth it because they aren't getting as many comments or faves back as they are on other places--why waste your time there if you have better success elsewhere? Of course that's only one reason people choose to leave, but there's nothing wrong with considering it. And I know this because I do submit my works to various places, and there are some places where I don't have to work so hard to get comments and faves. I mean it gets kind of annoying having to post on some critique or art share thread all the time anytime you have a new work up instead of doing it only a few times (or at conventions or other similar venues) and then just allowing for people who are already your friends and watchers to continue faving and commenting your works.

And adding it to a group doesn't always work; some groups are not very popular or not being updated.
    This is why I believe in *more* smaller & diverse communities/websites. It's so much more meaningful to be apart of a few communities/websites that are relevant to you and what you do. -
    "Vs being lost in one toxic ocean trying to find other fish, that do the things you do and like."

(forgive any crappy fishing metaphors I make up ... )
    Last edited by MapleTerror; 03-11-2013 at 04:25 PM.