Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: DA artists jumping ship?

DA artists jumping ship?

I've heard from a lot of artists that they're leaving DA for a number of reasons and I checked out one claim this evening. I posted a WIP on both DA and FA at the same time and made a comparison of activity. Within 30 minutes, FA had 159 views 26 faves and 11 new watchers. DA only had 21 views, 5 faves (greater %) and 0 new watches. Quite a difference. I'm going to make a few comparisons of older work posted at same time.

Anyone else notice differences?

Weasyl
    N/A
    DA users writing journals claiming that they're leaving forever isn't exactly unheard of. Also artists on DA don't usually get that much exposure, never have done - the site's way, way larger than FA.

Weasyl
    oly
    Yeah, I mean like you post something on DA and it's off the front page within literally 1 or 2 seconds. maybe 4-5 if the sites slow at that particular moment. FA, sometimes it can take minutes for something to fall off the front page. So there's a much higher chance of exposure there.

That's a good reason to jump ship though, when your sites become so big that your art doesn't even get a couple of views unless its by a watcher, then what's the point in posting it. I like the fact that these sites are relatively smaller in the fact that if I do post something, I'll get more hits then I would elsewhere.

Weasyl
    doki
    I only post really minor stuff to show friends on my DA nowadays. The site is too large to encourage any real growth unless you're already pretty popular outside of DA.

I prefer FA of DA and Weasyl over FA. I get more exposure and it's such a nicer community in a whole.

Weasyl
    Aokamidu
    I have to agree, there is a difference - I pretty much left DA at one time (was it 2009?) because I genuinely felt outclassed by a lot of professionals (which can't be helped) and those who were only posting trend-of-the-moment material that would be guaranteed a watch. I didn't want to fake an interest in fan-arting anime or American shows I didn't care for to increase my watcher list; I saw a friend of mine drive himself nuts obsessing over numbers and attempting the same thing. (I can't say I haven't fallen privy to the same way of thinking either sometimes)

Anyway, what I'll say is that DA and FA do share in common the fact that they're not very newcomer friendly (though DA has this problem moreso due to the inclusion of varied mainstream material), FA's community is a bit more supportive - if people do like what you do, they're not shy in letting you know about it and encouraging you to go on. It's a bit of a shame it's more to cater ... erotica than more publicly-acceptable media (at least, that's what I found when writing and posting up my comic, I've gotten more feedback from DA than FA funnily enough) but at least it's a start, right? It's pretty much what prompted me to move to Weasyl for a while - yearning more of an artistic community than a consumer one, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I'd say DA is definitely more aimed for market-savvy professionals (in particular those based in the US), rather than hobbyists or amateurs so I'm not surprised there continues to be a mini-exodus of sorts. At least that's how I personally see it anyway.

Weasyl
    tapeworm
    I hope I don't offend anyone here by saying this, but I think it's kinda stupid to leave a site because your art isn't looked at as much.
    To me, that's like not drawing at all because you don't get commissions.

I really don't like DA because of the really bad community, but at least amusing drama comes from it.
    The only reason I'm still on there is because of friends that don't go on any other site I go on.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    My main reason for leaving dA was that I just feel that fA (and now Weasyl) are better suited for the kind of art I draw. I only draw animals, and do enjoy drawing furry things (clean) and when I started posting on fA I got a lot of positive feedback and encouragement. Plus there were people on dA that I had issues with so it was nice to separate myself from a place with not-so-good memories.

Weasyl
    Hlavco
    I just post on all the art sites. Max exposure, yo. (also my laziness means I don't draw often enough for updating them all to be a hassle)

Weasyl
    IntricateVision
    I still go to DA.
    I've been on DA for... about... ten years? About six on my current account because I did abandon and delete my first account (for shame). Regardless of what you draw it can take a lot of time to get a group of consistent followers on DA simply because of the size. I joined FA two or three years ago, and have amassed several times the watcher base on that account as I did on deviantart, but FA is also decidedly smaller.

My art on FA averages 40 favs.
    On DA it's about 8.
    On both sites though there are spikes if the community like a certain piece. And then that piece will consistently be faved forever into eternity.