Advice-seeking Post?

So i'm trying to make money with my art.

I know i don't have the world's greatest art skills, and I'm not trying to take business away from everyone else, but any help you can give me in getting my business off the ground would greatly help.

questions:

Should I be trying to take commissions to begin with?
    This is my biggest question. I've seen where people post and comment that some beginners probably ought to focus more on improving their skills before taking commissions, and I worry that I might be in that boat.
    http://www.furaffinity.net/user/tieran/
    https://www.weasyl.com/profile/tieran

Is there a way to know if you've got a bad name already?
    I admit, a number of times, long long before, when I was putting out feelers for seeing if I might want to do art for extra income, I offered free requests. I also admit, I didn't have the discipline to finish them. I actually sketched them out even, but, well, was a dumb kid and didn't continue it to the finish.
    I feel I am more disciplined now, having participated in the equinexchange community successfully for a long time now, having turned in my part of the trade consistently on time. I worry, however, that I may have tainted my reputation already.

How should I get my name out there?
    I've already posted my commission chart to my page and to DA, and made journals, but I don't know where else to post. Should I look into a banner? How much advertising is too much? Where is it appropriate?

Is offering a special deal in exchange for a review a good idea?
    I have a deal going on where the art is half off if you write a journal about your dealings with me (good or bad). I figure it helps everyone involved. Is this a good idea? Is there a way to make sure it works out? As far as payment goes, should I be charging the full amount, and then refund half when they write the review, or just charge half (what I intend to do right now).

Has anyone made artwork to sell at a local fair, and is this a recommended course of action?
    A little off topic, but it's another route I'm considering.

Weasyl
    marzipan
    To your first question, I don't have enough experience yet with commissions, so I can't necessarily help, but answer these questions truthfully and see how you feel: http://forums.furaffinity.net/thread...sonable-Thread - if you ever want crits on your work to make them better, feel free to ask either forums.

Second question: here's the deal, a freebie is a freebie. There was no trade, no exchange, so the person on the other end was probably disappointed, but it's nothing that should leave a bad mark on you, especially if you've been good and consistent with trades and exchanges.

Third: Honestly? Just have consistently good art, draw a ton, and go out and make friends. Trades, contests and - funny enough - freebies are a good way of doing this too. Don't plop down money on ads just yet.

Fourth: Charge full and then refund; if they don't give a review then you can't easily get the other half of the money from them - the comissioner technically has more routes to take to get the money back if you don't refund them. Though people might not like that set-up because they might be scared to leave a negative review in case you decide not to give their money back. Not saying you would do that, but it might make people hesitate. In any case it sounds like a good deal but a bit hard to manage.

Fifth: Go to a local fair and see what sells there, and then decide how you're going to stand out. the local craft markets can be very different than most art markets and vary. A lot of them like physical pieces, traditional media. Just some advice to get you going.

Quote Originally Posted by tieran View Post
    So i'm trying to make money with my art.

I know i don't have the world's greatest art skills, and I'm not trying to take business away from everyone else, but any help you can give me in getting my business off the ground would greatly help.

questions:

Should I be trying to take commissions to begin with?
    This is my biggest question. I've seen where people post and comment that some beginners probably ought to focus more on improving their skills before taking commissions, and I worry that I might be in that boat.
    http://www.furaffinity.net/user/tieran/
    https://www.weasyl.com/profile/tieran
    I like what I'm seeing so far. There's room for improvement, to be sure, but that's true of all of us.
    However, I will say, go look at the people who are getting commissions and ask yourself why people should give you their money instead. See what needs to be done better, and do it. Also, what can you offer that isn't being supplied by anyone else?

Is there a way to know if you've got a bad name already?
    I admit, a number of times, long long before, when I was putting out feelers for seeing if I might want to do art for extra income, I offered free requests. I also admit, I didn't have the discipline to finish them. I actually sketched them out even, but, well, was a dumb kid and didn't continue it to the finish.
    I feel I am more disciplined now, having participated in the equinexchange community successfully for a long time now, having turned in my part of the trade consistently on time. I worry, however, that I may have tainted my reputation already.
    Been there, done that. Best to assume that it is tarnished, and work twice as hard to show that you can deliver the goods.
    How should I get my name out there?
    I've already posted my commission chart to my page and to DA, and made journals, but I don't know where else to post. Should I look into a banner? How much advertising is too much? Where is it appropriate?
    Just being sociable helps. Participate in forums, comment on people's work, watch other people. Don't spam other people's pages with links and promotions, because that gets annoying fast.
    I tried a banner on FA for the first time last month, and it seems to have been effective. It cost $20, so I'd say if it brings you more that $20 in new business, you're ahead of the game.
    Is offering a special deal in exchange for a review a good idea?
    I have a deal going on where the art is half off if you write a journal about your dealings with me (good or bad). I figure it helps everyone involved. Is this a good idea? Is there a way to make sure it works out? As far as payment goes, should I be charging the full amount, and then refund half when they write the review, or just charge half (what I intend to do right now).
    This is a really bad idea.
    First off, there's the credibility issue. When you know someone is being paid to give a good review, do they really think it's good, or are they just saying what they've been hired to say? If you do good work, and they like your art, (If they shelled out their hard earned cash for your art, they probably do), they will sing your praises anyhow, and you know it's genuine.
    Then there is issue of exposure. How many people are actually watching that journal? You may well get better results just putting some of that money into an ad instead.
    Has anyone made artwork to sell at a local fair, and is this a recommended course of action?
    A little off topic, but it's another route I'm considering.
    Just local science fiction cons, and I'd say yes. Even in this day and age, people still like being able to pay for an item, and get it right away. Prints and other inexpensive items make good impulse buys.